• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - abandoned railways with intact track

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Well over ten years ago -- I forget the precise date -- I observed that the Cresswell -- Cheadle branch still had its track down seemingly throughout; but overgrown, and looking very derelict. Does anyone know anything about this line's status nowadays?
I believe the track was lifted not long ago and the trackbed is now a public footpath.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
Aren't there plenty bits of Round Oak to Dudley still extant ? (A genuine question.)
Some, but I believe the majority has been lifted (whether or not that removal was legal I don't know). The continuation of the route from Dudley to Bescot has more in the way of intact track. As with the previously mentioned Walsall to Lichfield line, a number of new bridges (both over and under) have also been built since closure.

Shimbleshanks

There must be quite a lot of embedded track left in various dock areas including Liverpool's. Take a look at these artists' impressions of the new Everton ground on the waterfront. Perhaps they're planning to run football specials right up to the turnstyles.

Attachments

• 1617267025571.png
    1617267025571.png
    532.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 1617267049782.png
    1617267049782.png
    401 KB · Views: 190

gallafent

There used to be some bits of track remaining between Pembroke Dock station and the actual dockside, but I'm not sure there's any left now, haven't been there for a while …

bramling

Veteran Member
This can be moved if not in correct forum.

Are there any sites in the UK where the line is no longer in use (for whatever reason not just Beeching) or where the line has been closed to all traffic, but the track is still intact?

Note - I’m not an explorer or intending to visit or trespass on any sites, I’m armchair only.

Gulf Oil refinery branch near Milford Haven is still intact, I think.

Also the Trecwn branch near Fishguard.

I think both of these are more mothballed rather than disused, though the first of those is pretty overgrown.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
In the West Midlands, between the Lawley Street Viaduct and the former goods yard at Vauxhall/Duddeston station, the abandoned track on the left hand side facing Aston can still be seen in situ, even though it has been disconnected.

According to the Sectional Appendix, the overhead wires still remain live.

Dave W

Some, but I believe the majority has been lifted (whether or not that removal was legal I don't know). The continuation of the route from Dudley to Bescot has more in the way of intact track. As with the previously mentioned Walsall to Lichfield line, a number of new bridges (both over and under) have also been built since closure.

Similar area: the Kingswinford branch had lots of rail on it as well, although I admit that's before I moved down here almost 9 years ago!!! I seem to recall there was a programme of vegetation clearance in the Moor St/Leys Road area which got some folk excited - perhaps the rail went with that. Not sure anything survived north of the canal bridge, in any case.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
There's a Facebook page on the lost lines of Trafford Park that has some photographs of track remaining in this area. I had a look at Google Streetview of this area couple of years back after someone mentioned it (probably on this site), and there's quite a bit of abandoned track remaining in the industrial estate.

Western 52

Track still exists between Kidwelly and Cwmmawr on the old BPGV line. Last used over 20 years ago. There was a proposal to turn it into a velorail where you could peddle along the rails, but that seems to have come to nothing.

Poolie

I'm sure there's still a lot of track at the old ICI Billingham complex. Maybe even some of this:-

Attachments

• service-to-industry-billingham.-br-vintage-travel-poster-by-terence-cuneo-996-p[ekm]288x201[ekm].jpg
    service-to-industry-billingham.-br-vintage-travel-poster-by-terence-cuneo-996-p[ekm]288x201[ekm].jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 86

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A while back I saw something online about the Horbury curve, still had some bits of very decrepit track although it's disconnected at both ends.

RH Liner

The Shirebrook to Ollerton track is still in place, with feasibility studies being carried out to join up with the Robin Hood line to Nottingham Worksop.
Last regular traffic on the line was High Marnham and Cottham power station coal workings.
It’s not abandoned though, usually two or three trains a week to the test track at High Marnham.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Also the Trecwn branch near Fishguard.
Looking at the 1:25 000 map of the Trecwm branch, the branch goes into a depot in a steep dead-end valley with a lot of sidings; Google Streetview shows gateways into the site, one saying 'The Valley, Pembs Ltd'. Maybe it's a military depot, but they usually have some indication of that at the entrance. Any idea what it may be?

Addition: Just looked it up on a search: it was a Navy munitions depot, now sold off, hence no MoD signage. There's a Wikipedia page.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Looking at the 1:25 000 map of the Trecwm branch, the branch goes into a depot in a steep dead-end valley with a lot of sidings; Google Streetview shows gateways into the site, one saying 'The Valley, Pembs Ltd'. Maybe it's a military depot, but they usually have some indication of that at the entrance. Any idea what it may be?
Looks like there used to be a Royal Naval Armaments Depot there, but it's since been closed and sold off.

Western 52

Looks like there used to be a Royal Naval Armaments Depot there, but it's since been closed and sold off.
Back in the 1980s we were on a dmu railtour to Trecwn. It stopped before the gates with instructions not to take photos! It was still open then of course. It had a narrow gauge system internally. I wonder if any of that survives?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It had a narrow gauge system internally. I wonder if any of that survives?
2ft 6in system at Trecwn apparently. All infrastructure (which I believe was built in copper to reduce the possibility of sparks) and stock removed since closure.

A couple of the diesel locos were acquired by the Talyllyn in c. 2008, together with a mile or so of track. (The locos both had to be re-gauged as the Talyllyn is a 2ft 3in system).

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Meldon quarry
Fawley refinery

do lines on private estates count, because a few years back, near Beaulieu there was a considerable amount of minature railway tracks, and at Bucklers Hard about 15 years ago remains of a private estate railway were visible

The entire Ilfracombe branch sat around for 5 years after the last service - they even ran an inspection saloon over it just before lifting it.
There were plans to reopen it

Add Swanage pier tramway,

Mitchei

The track from Lugton Junction to the Defence Munitions Depot in Beith is still in place. The junction was lifted in 2008 as part of an upgrade project, cutting off the connection. No scheduled trains have run on this track since 1996, although an emergency exercise was held on it around the turn of the millennium. The track passes through the small village of Barrmill. Locals tell of drivers parking their Engine at the overbridge and going down to the village shop for a snack and a drink. As far as I know all the track within the Defence Munitions Depot is also still intact.

Train wasp

From memory there is still some track running next to a footpath between Radstock and a village called Kilmersdon.

Gostav

There's a Facebook page on the lost lines of Trafford Park that has some photographs of track remaining in this area. I had a look at Google Streetview of this area couple of years back after someone mentioned it (probably on this site), and there's quite a bit of abandoned track remaining in the industrial estate.
Yes, when l went there in summer 2020 the old track is remaining on the side of Trafford Park Road.
20210401214334.jpg

southern442

Established Member
Any bits of the Lochaber railway left? It was quite lengthy and hidden away, Wikipedia thinks that there is still some left but it's impossible to tell from Google Maps.

najaB

Veteran Member
A lot of track, still sitting round Inverkeithing and wouldn't the Rosyth branch still be pretty much intact but unused?
It's not abandoned though (at least not officially). It was taken out of use for construction of the Queensferry Crossing, there was some care taken to ensure that it would still be useable in future.

I can't find it now, but there was a picture on RailScot showing a new road over rail bridge that had been built as part of the works.

Edit: Found it! https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/47/607/

Last edited:

Ostrich

I was going to mention the Imerys Quidhampton Quarry chalk pit complex (Salisbury) which according to the article linked below closed 2009 - but the same article mentions the sidings might be reopened if they decide to re-use the pit for landfill from Crossrail / HS2. The article dates from 2016 and I haven't been able to find any update?

Plans for Quidhampton Quarry unveiled | Salisbury Journal

bnm

Established Member
Tavistock Junction to the Plym Valley Railway in Plymouth has track extant, including two abandoned level crossings.

AutoKratz

The Leamside Line in County Durham closed in 1991 and retained all the track, signals and other lineside equipment until Network Rail lifted it in 2013.

Interestingly, an ex rail engineer came along and stole 2 miles of track in the Penshaw area in 2003 to sell for scrap!

Irascible

Established Member

There were plans to reopen it
Well, there was some consideration of it ( and they really should have ) but 8 level crossings seemed to kill it.

When was the last train to Minehead ( and I mean run by the WSR ) - the top end of the WSR must be getting close to qualifying...

Status
Not open for further replies.