• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Artists only known for one song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Tim

Point of Order. OMD had several other hits including Elona Gay and Maid of Orleans.

Another one hit wonder - Africa by Toto
It was actually "OMC" who had a hit in the mid 90's with "How Bizarre" - which does definitely qualify for the thread.

As you rightly say, OMD (or "Orchestral Maneouvres In The Dark - to give them their "Sunday name") had several well known hits. In fact they had a bit of a "second coming" in the 90's with releases including "Sailing On The Seven Seas", "Walking On The Milky Way" and "Pandora's Box".

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Hole in my shoe - Traffic (Yes, I know they had Paper Sun and another, but nobody but a fan remembers)

Hi Ho Silver Lining - Jeff Beck (Did he have any others in a later incarnation?)

All around my Hat - Steeleye Span

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hole in my shoe - Traffic (Yes, I know they had Paper Sun and another, but nobody but a fan remembers)

Hi Ho Silver Lining - Jeff Beck (Did he have any others in a later incarnation?)

All around my Hat - Steeleye Span
Jeff Beck was possibly best remembered for being part of The Yardbirds for a couple of years. Hi Ho Silver Lining is probably his best known song as a "solo artist".

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Why the rolling eyes, 35 is a top 40 hit. I don't understand the need for snark.
Hardly likely to be all that well known if it only made No. 35. The OP referenced Rick Astley. Whilst "Never Gonna Give You Up" was a UK No. 1 for five weeks, his three best charting other singles also reached No. 2 and No. 3 in the UK charts. Going by that, a No. 35 is a relative flop.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Based on some of the historical episodes (mainly 1980s) of Top of the Pops, a few more I can think of below:

Sonia - You Never Stop Me Loving You
Robin Beck - First Time (the Coca Cola ad from 1988)
Vanessa Paradis - Joe le Taxi
Stephanie Mills - The Medicine Song
Flash and the Pan - Waiting for the Train (the band formed by George Young - the elder brother of AC/DC's Malcolm and Angus)
Red Box - For America
Sly Fox - Let's Go All the Way
Black Box - Ride On Time
Enya - Orinoco Flow
Jane Weidlin - Rush Hour (although her former Go Gos bandmate Belinda Carlisle has had a more successful solo career)

pdeaves

Established Member
Going by that, a No. 35 is a relative flop.
Be fair, the thread isn't about whether a song was a hit or not, it's about whether anyone knows more than one of the group's output. birchesgreen said "Dance the Kung Fu which went top 40 though most people only know Kung fu fighting", exactly the thread's basis.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Be fair, the thread isn't about whether a song was a hit or not, it's about whether anyone knows more than one of the group's output. birchesgreen said "Dance the Kung Fu which went top 40 though most people only know Kung fu fighting"
That's the point. Most folk won't have ever heard of some relatively obscure track that only made No. 35 in the UK charts.

Big Tim

A few more (in the main, awful) contributions from me!

Technohead - I Want To Be A Hippy
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
Cutting Crew - I Just Died In Your Arms
The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - Fire
Bran Van 3000 - Drinking In L.A.
Danny Wilson - Mary's Prayer
The Mock Turtles - Can You Dig It
Charles & Eddie - Would I Lie To You (I'm sure they had other tracks, but that's the only one I recall and it was a massive hit in the early 90's)
Bobbie McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy

I'm also tempted to suggest "Only You" covered by The Flying Pickets (originally released by "Yazoo") which was a Christmas UK #1 in the early 80's but not sure if they went on to other chart success that they may be remembered for.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps tonight
The Archies - Sugar Sugar
Albert Hammonf - It Never Rains in Southern California
Billy Paul - Me and Mrs Jones
The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star

birchesgreen

Established Member
Hardly likely to be all that well known if it only made No. 35. The OP referenced Rick Astley. Whilst "Never Gonna Give You Up" was a UK No. 1 for five weeks, his three best charting other singles also reached No. 2 and No. 3 in the UK charts. Going by that, a No. 35 is a relative flop.
I didn't say it was well known i was replying to a sub-thread about an artist's other hits. Maybe you should read what you are replying to?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I didn't say it was well known i was replying to a sub-thread about an artist's other hits. Maybe you should read what you are replying to?
Thread is essentially intended to be about artists that are only known for one of their singles.

67thave

Golden Earring is remembered for Radar Love and... not much else. Perhaps some people could name Twilight Zone, but the reality is that they're more or less known for the former.

A real shame too, as they have quite a quality back catalog! In my pantheon of classic rock bands, they're well above most, including some big names such as Queen, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith.

david1212

Established Member
Driver 67 - Car 67
Convoy - C. W. McCall - he had other single that charted in the US and Canada but not the UK
Convoy GB - Laurie Lingo And The Dipsticks ( Dave Lee Travis & Paul Burnett )

Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs - Brian and Michael

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Further point of order:

"Rosanna" and "Hold the Line" were both substantial hits for Toto.

He also did the "The Free Electric Band" I'm not sure how much of a hit it was, but it's played on Radio 2 quite often.
He did. Reached number 19 in the UK charts in in 1973.

trebor79

Established Member
KC and the Sunshine Band - Give It Up
Charles and Eddie - Would I Lie to you?

Jimini

Established Member
KC and the Sunshine Band - Give It Up
Charles and Eddie - Would I Lie to you?

If ever there was a thread where only YouTube links were allowed, this would be it :D

C&E -- classic and a great shout (also mentioned upthread).

KC and the Sunshine Band had quite a few top 40 hits, no? Including this belter (albeit released before I was born!):

Status
Not open for further replies.