• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Best connected village station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
We've had the "Worst Connected Cities" thread, so which village station in the country has the best connections in terms of destinations and frequency?

Cononley has a good frequency, with 8tph calling, and being linked to 2 cities.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Buckshaw Village has 6tph and regular trains to Manchester, Bolton, Preston and Blackpool and occasional trains to Windermere and Barrow.

Buttsy

Established Member
Hanborough is connected to 3 cities and has an almost hourly service to London & Worcester using HST (253 & 180) stock in the main.

CalderRail

Hebden Bridge has 4tph going east, all of which go to or through Leeds. 3 of those go via Halifax & Bradford, the 4th via Brighouse. After Leeds one goes on to York and one to Selby.

In the other direction, 3tph to Rochdale & Manchester, 1 tph to Burnley & Blackpool.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hebden Bridge has 4tph going east, all of which go to or through Leeds. 3 of those go via Halifax & Bradford, the 4th via Brighouse. After Leeds one goes on to York and one to Selby.

In the other direction, 3tph to Rochdale & Manchester, 1 tph to Burnley & Blackpool.

But then Hebden Bridge is a town.

We've had the "Worst Connected Cities" thread, so which village station in the country has the best connections in terms of destinations and frequency?

Cononley has a good frequency, with 8tph calling, and being linked to 2 cities.

Only 1 tpd (0605 from Cononley), but it's connected to a thrid city (Carlisle).

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Hebden Bridge is not a village though, it's a bustling market town!

Considering it's diminutive size, Castle Cary doesn't do too bad, Bedwyn likewise.

Veteran Member
Only 1 tpd (0605 from Cononley), but it's connected to a thrid city (Carlisle).

When I lived there, you could get to Lancaster direct as well - but the post-333 service of 8tph was a great improvement overall.

I can't think of anywhere so rural that can match it, especially considering the population is only 1000-odd.

basfordlad

Buckshaw Village has 6tph and regular trains to Manchester, Bolton, Preston and Blackpool and occasional trains to Windermere and Barrow.

Dont mention this place, its where the evil Parking Eye are based, full of hard nosed people

BantamMenace

When I lived there, you could get to Lancaster direct as well - but the post-333 service of 8tph was a great improvement overall.

I can't think of anywhere so rural that can match it, especially considering the population is only 1000-odd.

The first train in a morning to Lancaster still calls at all stops i believe, Cononley included

causton

Established Member
Brookmans Park, with 3tph off-peak to London, with Peterborough and Cambridge in one change? Can say the same about Bayford as well, although I don't even know if there are any houses near Bayford station!

causton

Established Member
Brookmans Park, with 3tph off-peak to London, with Peterborough and Cambridge in one change? Can say the same about Bayford as well, although I don't even know if there are any houses near Bayford station!

thenorthern

Established Member
Cononley and Stoke Mandeville are quite good, so is Shenstone. Lancing is relatively good as well although for this purpose I would class it as a town.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Hatton in Warwickshire is pretty well served. It benefits from being a junction obviously but it has a good service to Leamington Spa and Birmingham plus trains to London, Stratford & Worcester.

johnnychips

Established Member
Barnetby might not have a great variety of destinations, but has any other village station got four directions off it, if you see what I mean.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Gowerton Village Station within the Gower, has had over extra 90 services a week since last year,so must rank as one of Wales best served villages in South West Wales or all Wales, plus its the Political Constituency of Wales Rail Minister Edwina Hart..

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Harlington in Bedfordshire has an excellent service for a village. 4 trains in each direction for most of the day, giving easy access to Gatwick and Luton Airports as well as to Bedford, Luton, London, Brighton etc.

lj9090

Brockenhurst? 2tph to London and 1tph to Birmingham and Manchester. Total trains per hour usually exceeds 10 if you include the branch line.

Established Member
Wendens Ambo pop. 400 ish

AKA Audley End direct to London and Birmingham, and with one change at Stansted Airport to more European destinations than any other airport according to their advert.

Last edited:
My favourite village station has trains to Scotland, The North East, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Derby, Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth as well as Reading and London.

Unfortunately the station has never actually been called Sampford Peverell - rather Tiverton Rd, Junction and now Parkway, but it is only a 10min walk from the village pub:D

St Erth station is named after the village, although its actually in Rose-An-Grouse and has services on the same routes.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Cononley and Stoke Mandeville are quite good, so is Shenstone. Lancing is relatively good as well although for this purpose I would class it as a town.

My Dad lives in Shenstone. I concur that the service into Birmingham is good but there are plenty of wealthy people living in that village!

I thought it was England's second city. ;)

Well if Hebden Bridge's going to be the core of a Manchester-Leeds "hub" and England's Second City, they'd better hurry up electrifying the Calder Valley line else they may chose Marsden instead. :lol:

Last edited:

Carlisle

Established Member
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Gowerton Village Station within the Gower, has had over extra 90 services a week since last year,so must rank as one of Wales best served villages in South West Wales or all Wales, plus its the Political Constituency of Wales Rail Minister Edwina Hart..

Most locals consider Gowerton on the edge of the peninsula, not within it!

In fact, it would probably have been considered a town a few decades ago, as it had its own Magistrates Courts, market and a variety of shops and industries.

The problem with these sor tof threads is that there is no real consistent definition of what is a village and what is town or city.

pemma

Veteran Member
Well if Hebden Bridge's going to be the core of a Manchester-Leeds "hub" and England's Second City, they'd better hurry up electrifying the Calder Valley line else they may chose Marsden instead. :lol:

Well London got to be capital and kept that status despite not being one of the first places to get a train service.

Status
Not open for further replies.