• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Buses that you can catch on either side of the road at the next stop for the same journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumble

The only one I know is the 398 at South Harrow
It stops at South Harrow station stop F , then runs through the tiny bus garage and then stops again at Stop D pretty much directly opposite
Any others do this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Do you mean like a double run where the bus for example goes down a road, turns around, then goes back up the road and carries on its journey? There is a thread created recently about this sort of thing.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There's probably a fair number - but a fairly good example is the X18 in Northumberland. It serves Alnmouth by way of a double run - running east across a bridge and stopping at the eastbound stop, then around a roundabout and stopping at the westbound stop before returning back over the bridge and onwards towards Newcastle, Alnwick, or Berwick.

There will be far fewer of these than double runs though - since many double runs don't involve stops and others just stop on one side of the road (or at a turning circle or similar).

Gloster

Established Member
If I have understood the question, I did this at Nykroppa in Sweden. Having got off the Inlandsbanan train at the very basic halt at Hornkullen (ten foot long, foot high wooden platform next to an open level-crosssing - that was it), I waited for the bus back to Kristinehamn at a stop with a pole and sign on only one side of the road. The bus came along on the other side of the road, so I scooted across, hailed it and got on. We then went a couple of hundred metres up the road, turned around and came back past where I had been waiting.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Do you mean like a double run where the bus for example goes down a road, turns around, then goes back up the road and carries on its journey? There is a thread created recently about this sort of thing.
What I think the OP is asking for is similar but slightly more niche in nature. A typical double run will of course generally serve a number of stops on both sides of a road, but at the very end it may do a loop of some roads or turn around at a single stop. So if you looked at a list of stop names you'd have duplicates for each side of a road, but between the last pair with the same name you may have several unique stops served only once, or a single turning point. I think, based on the example given, the OP is looking for an example where there is no sort of 'end' point of the double run, with buses serving the same place twice but with no stops in between.

In the example given, the buses stop at South Harrow Station [Stop F], turn around in South Harrow bus station but without making a stop, then their next stop is again at South Harrow Station, but Stop D directly opposite their last stop [F]. In a more traditional double run you'd probably have something like Rail Station [F], Bus Station, Rail Station [D] - not consecutive stops directly opposite eachother like Rail Station [F], then immediately afterwards Rail Station [D] directly opposite, without any other stops in between them. I'd say normally a bus route in this situation elsewhere would probably only stop at one of the Rail Station stops, probably the one on the same side as the station entrance for convenience?

No idea if that explanation helps (assuming I've interpreted it correctly myself!) or just baffles further :lol:

swifty

Established Member
The Abus 349 in Keynsham does this on Charlton Road, but the stops aren’t quite opposite. It stops at Bilbie Green (southbound) heads 100m further down the road, loops around a mini roundabout and then stops at Bilbie Green (northbound) on the opposite side of the road before heading back up Charlton Road.

jumble

What I think the OP is asking for is similar but slightly more niche in nature. A typical double run will of course generally serve a number of stops on both sides of a road, but at the very end it may do a loop of some roads or turn around at a single stop. So if you looked at a list of stop names you'd have duplicates for each side of a road, but between the last pair with the same name you may have several unique stops served only once, or a single turning point. I think, based on the example given, the OP is looking for an example where there is no sort of 'end' point of the double run, with buses serving the same place twice but with no stops in between.

In the example given, the buses stop at South Harrow Station [Stop F], turn around in South Harrow bus station but without making a stop, then their next stop is again at South Harrow Station, but Stop D directly opposite their last stop [F]. In a more traditional double run you'd probably have something like Rail Station [F], Bus Station, Rail Station [D] - not consecutive stops directly opposite eachother like Rail Station [F], then immediately afterwards Rail Station [D] directly opposite, without any other stops in between them. I'd say normally a bus route in this situation elsewhere would probably only stop at one of the Rail Station stops, probably the one on the same side as the station entrance for convenience?

No idea if that explanation helps (assuming I've interpreted it correctly myself!) or just baffles further :lol:

Your explanation is spot on
just to clarify this situation is in the middle of a journey between Wood End and Ruislip or VV

Status
Not open for further replies.