• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia, calling multiple times in different parts of the same station or station complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
The circle line of the London underground calls at Paddington twice, but in totally different parts of the station complex. Since the opening of crossrail Moorgate has been joined with Liverpool Street and Farringdon with barbican. So the Circle, Metropolatain and hammersmith and city lines make two calls in the farringdon/barbican complex immediately followed by two calls in the Moorgate/Liverpool St complex.

On the Tyne and wear metro the yellow line calls twice at Monument, once in the north/south direction and once in the east/west direction.

Does this happen anywhere else? In particular does it happen anywhere on the mainline system.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1537

There are circular services from London Waterloo that probably count, starting and ending at Waterloo, and calling twice at both Vauxhall and Clapham Junction.
And other stations as well, i.e. Queenstown Road, Wandsworth, Putney and Barnes.

A S Leib

I can't think of any where they call at massively different parts of the same station, but some London Victoria / Brighton - Hastings trains serve Hampden Park twice and the Salisbury - Romsey service calls at Romsey twice.

tomuk

Established Member
The Canon Street Clockers that run round the Bexleyheath ,Sidcup, Dartford, Woolwich lines

zwk500

Veteran Member
One massive problem with this is what counts as a separate part of the station complex. E.g. I would count the Waterloo rounders as calling at 2 separate parts of Clapham Junction, but Vauxhall being the same part of the complex.

Having said that, pre-covid the SouthEastern High-speed rounders called once at the high level platforms at Ebbsfleet and once at the low-level platforms.

Magdalia

Established Member
There are circular services from London Waterloo that probably count, starting and ending at Waterloo, and calling twice at both Vauxhall and Clapham Junction.
I can't think of any where they call at massively different parts of the same station, but some London Victoria / Brighton - Hastings trains serve Hampden Park twice and the Salisbury - Romsey service calls at Romsey twice.
The Kingston roundabout services go from the lowest numbered platforms at Waterloo to the highest numbered platforms, or vice versa. In the latter this often includes the ex Eurostar platforms, which are a different part of the station. At Clapham Junction the Windsor line platforms are quite separate from the rest of the station.

I'm very unfamiliar with what happens in Scotland these days: do Glasgow and Edinburgh still have circular services?

Bill57p9

Glasgow still has the Cathcart circle services, but I don't believe this would meet the "different parts" criteria.

The class 314 finale left Glasgow Central high level bound for Helensburgh and called at Glasgow Central Low Level.

Wirral services call twice at James Street and Birkenhead, using different platform blocks.

DelW

Established Member
The early morning train from Plymouth to the Looe branch stops separately at Liskeard platforms 1, 2, and 3, where it terminates (subsequently forming the first train to Looe, with a different number). Platform 3 is at right angles to the main line platforms.

I don't know whether potential passengers through to Looe are allowed to stay on board, or if they have to walk from p1 to p3.

[Edit: just realised it has a 5 headcode, so presumably ECS anyway]

DA1

The Canon Street Clockers that run round the Bexleyheath ,Sidcup, Dartford, Woolwich lines
Only London Bridge and Cannon Street have the potential to be different platforms (but not different areas). All other stations will be called at once.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The early morning train from Plymouth to the Looe branch stops separately at Liskeard platforms 1, 2, and 3, where it terminates (subsequently forming the first train to Looe, with a different number). Platform 3 is at right angles to the main line platforms.

I don't know whether potential passengers through to Looe are allowed to stay on board, or if they have to walk from p1 to p3.

[Edit: just realised it has a 5 headcode, so presumably ECS anyway]

For some reason the line from the main station to P3 has never been passed for passenger use. To be fair, it hardly seems worth it.

duncanp

Established Member
It's not in the UK, but in Paris Metro line 3 calls 3 times in the Saint-Lazare super complex!
It's the "vomit green" line below, calling at Opéra, Havre Caumartin & Saint-Lazare.
View attachment 115883
(From https://www.ratp.fr/plan-de-ligne/img/metro/Plan-Metro.1653922257.png)

Also in Paris, there are separate stations on metro line 4 at Chatelet and Les Halles, but a combined RER stop at Chatelet Less Halles.

If Crossrail 2 is ever built (don't hold your breath) I see there is a planned Euston St Pancras station. This will compare with Kings Cross St Pancras on the tube.

Can't help thinking there is a recipe for confusion there. It happens already as I have been on the concourse at Kings Cross and someone once asked me why the train to Nottingham (leaving in 5 minutes time) wasn't on the departure board, and als where the Eurostar check in was.

Last edited:

Basil Jet

On Moderation
The Jubilee line stations at Southwark and Waterloo are both connected to Waterloo East.

reddragon

Established Member

Passengers are not allowed to travel from the main line to the Looe branch on any train including charter trains due to the lack of legality of the connection prohibiting it.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Does this thread cover much the same ground...

thenorthern

Established Member
There were a couple of Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Piccadilly via Glossop trains that effectively went Dinting-Glossop-Hadfield-Dinting. I remember them as they read the Manchester Piccadilly to Dinting stations out twice in annoucements.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Back when Cross Country services ran via the West Coast Main Line to Dundee or Aberdeen, they called at Haymarket twice either side of a reversal at Waverley.

plugwash

Established Member
If Crossrail 2 is ever built (don't hold your breath) I see there is a planned Euston St Pancras station. This will compare with Kings Cross St Pancras on the tube.
And IIRC the HS2 works intend to link up Euston Square with Euston. So if everything is built as proposed you will have a mega-complex sprawling from Euston Square and HS2 in the West, to Kings Cross in the East with the Circle, Hammersmith and City, Metropolitan, Northern (Bank branch) and PiccadillyVictoria lines all calling twice within the complex.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
The old Limerick Junction. "Where every train must go through it or past it before it can get into it".

AlbertBeale

Established Member
International services via Basle in Switzerland used to call separately at the platforms "in" (for customs purposes) the different countries.

Veteran Member
Do Brighton diversions via Lewes call twice at the station? Or Waterloo-Reading diversions at Virginia Water? And are these within the OP's definition?

Historically, there were dated Blackpool-Scotland services that went through Preston twice (the East Lancs and LNW parts) and may have called twice.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Do Brighton diversions via Lewes call twice at the station? Or Waterloo-Reading diversions at Virginia Water? And are these within the OP's definition?
As far as I know, both of these call only once at each station. Certainly at Lewes where the East Branch platforms are limited to 7 cars maximum.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Passengers are not allowed to travel from the main line to the Looe branch on any train including charter trains due to the lack of legality of the connection prohibiting it.

There has been at least one charter train to use the connection at Liskeard with passengers on board, the Looe Brush tour on 3rd Feb 19

Historically, there were dated Blackpool-Scotland services that went through Preston twice (the East Lancs and LNW parts) and may have called twice.

When I did a Waterloo - Reading train a few years ago which went via Weybridge it called at Virginia Water twice

Status
Not open for further replies.