• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: cathedrals, abbeys and castles which can be seen from trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

A S Leib

Durham, Ely and Truro cathedrals can definitely be seen from trains, and I think St. Pauls can be seen going northwards into Blackfriars. How many other cathedrals, or abbeys or - presumably a far longer list - castles can be seen from trains on passenger services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James H

Southwark Cathedral can certainly be seen from Cannon Street and Charing Cross trains.

And passing trains can be heard from inside the cathedral too.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Berkhamsted castle, which is also a good spot to view the railway from (atop the motte)

Chepstow castle is one i saw earlier this year

The Castle Keep of the "Newcastle" in Newcastle upon Tyne. The ECML passes literally inches/feet from the Keep on the North side and the "Old Mainline" over the High Level on it's west side, as it head south over the Tyne. St Hilda's Abbey in Whitby.

P.s. You beat me to it Cricketer 8for9, but having said that. Which Newcaste.....?

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Worcester Cathedral. It’s visible across town from the embankment between Shrub Hill and Foregate Street, but the views down the Severn from the bridge are outstanding.

TheHovisKid

Castle, Priory and Cathedral at Lancaster.
There's also a Cathedral in (but not of) Preston which I think is visible if you know where to look.
Kendal Castle from around Oxenholme, Penrith Castle, and possibly Castle and Cathedral in Carlisle.

Some mentions of Lowther Castle's ruins being visible, never spotted them and not sure if tree cover still allows it. Not quite a proper castle though.

Peel Castle near Barrow ought to be fleetingly visible at Hest Bank.

Furness Abbey & St Bees Priory.

birchesgreen

Established Member
You can just about spot Warwick castle from the train. Lichfield cathedral is also visible from the train. And Gloucester.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Edinburgh Castle can be seen from the section of track approaching Edinburgh Waverley station.

mike57

Established Member
Kirkham Abbey, ruins, between York and Malton
Beverley Minster
Thornton Abbey, you can just see the gatehouse from the train, behind some trees
Whitby Abbey

And one that I dont think can be seen from the train at all, even although it is fairly close to the railway is Selby Abbey

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Have we had Berwick-upon-Tweed castle, or what's left of it? The railway and station site is located in the middle of part of the one-time castle!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Newcastle Cathedral is visible in the opposite direction from the Castle that’s already mentioned.

Castle, Priory and Cathedral at Lancaster.
There's also a Cathedral in (but not of) Preston which I think is visible if you know where to look.
Kendal Castle from around Oxenholme, Penrith Castle, and possibly Castle and Cathedral in Carlisle.

Some mentions of Lowther Castle's ruins being visible, never spotted them and not sure if tree cover still allows it. Not quite a proper castle though.

Peel Castle near Barrow ought to be fleetingly visible at Hest Bank.

Furness Abbey & St Bees Priory.
There is no cathedral in Preston, the former parish church of St John in the town centre is now known as Preston Minster. The large Catholic church to the north of the station is St Walburgs and is the third highest spire in England after the cathedrals at Salisbury and Norwich and was designed by Joseph Hansom who also designed the taxi cab of that name.
In Lancaster there is a Catholic cathedral but I don't think it's visible from the railway.
In Chorley there is a large Mormon Temple which should be visible shortly after leaving Buckshaw Parkway station. It annoyed the people of Chorley when the Mormons announced that they were going to call their large and impressive temple the Preston Temple.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Lindisfarne castle on Holy Island is normally discernable in the distance from the ECML along the section of track a few miles South of Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Fairly sure that Dumbarton Castle can be seen from the railway on the approach to Dumbarton East station.

L401CJF

Established Member
Both Liverpool cathedrals can be seen across the river from the Merseyrail Wirral Line between Rock Ferry and Green Lane.

Im pretty sure you can also catch a glimpse of at least one of them in the distance between Mossley Hill and Edge Hill just before the Alstom depot

John Webb

Established Member
Southwark Cathedral can certainly be seen from Cannon Street and Charing Cross trains.

And passing trains can be heard from inside the cathedral too.
Depends how loud the organ is being played!
I think St Albans Cathedral can be glimpsed from Thameslink trains
Yes, as the trains pass from just south of the golf course until they cross over London Road south of the City station. View is not as clear as it was once due to tree growth over the years.
Office development around St Albans Abbey station at the end of the branch from Watford makes it impossible to see the cathedral from that line.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
Surely Stirling Castle? And of course Kilchurn on Loch Awe.

Status
Not open for further replies.