• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Current stations that have always been unstaffed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think these Highland stations have never been staffed:

Falls of Cruachan
Loch Eil Outward Bound
Locheilside
Lochailort
Duncraig
Attadale
Achnashellash

I think these Highland stations have never been staffed:

Falls of Cruachan
Loch Eil Outward Bound
Locheilside
Lochailort
Duncraig
Attadale
Achnashellash

Like you I'd be surprised if Falls of Cruachan was ever more than an unstaffed halt, but the building seen here looks a bit more substantial than a waiting shelter.

I'm sure you're right about Loch Eil Outward Bound.

Locheilside once had a proper building, so I presume it was staffed.

Lochailort once had buildings and a passing loop (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochailort_railway_station) and must have been staffed.

I don't know about the Kyle line stations.

krus_aragon

Established Member
To throw a historical bent on things...

As I understand things, in the 19th century practically all passenger stations were staffed, to deal with goods traffic. After Light Railways came into fashion, unstaffed halts started popping up, with LNWR examples including St Winifrede's Well Halt on the Holywell branch (1912), and Ceint, Rhyd-y-Saint and Llanbedrgoch on the Red Wharf Bay branch (1908). Unsurprisingly, these branches (which had previously been uneconomical to build) soon became uneconomical to run with the advent of the motor car, so were early closures.

The only surviving (open) candidate I can think of in North Wales is Dolgarrog, which was opened in 1916 on the existing Conwy Valley line. I believe it was an unstaffed halt from opening.

Last edited:

Smudger105e

Willington and Matlock Bath; both closed and then reopened.

All of the current stations along the S & C with the exception of Settle and Appleby.
Aldrington certainly used to be staffed.
Almost any ex-GWR "halt" will not have been staffed in the "olden days"

Appleford, Combe and Finstock
Chetnole and Thornford Bridge
Dockyard
the Looe branch halts
possibly some in the Cardiff Valleys?
Lamphey?
the surviving Cambrian Coast halts (Llanaber and northward).

Not sure about other SR "halts" (steamybrian has listed some) - there's others like along the south coast like Pevensey Bay, Aldrington, Fishersgate, East Worthing, Fishbourne, Southbourne, Nutbourne, Bedhampton, Hilsea - and Holton Heath? - plus Polsloe Bridge and St James' Park. I think some of these may have been staffed at some time (or may be now, it's a long way from here!)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

6Gman

Established Member
To throw a historical bent on things...

As I understand things, in the 19th century practically all passenger stations were staffed, to deal with goods traffic. After Light Railways came into fashion, unstaffed halts started popping up, with LNWR examples including St Winifrede's Well Halt on the Holywell branch (1912), and Ceint, Rhyd-y-Saint and Llanbedrgoch on the Red Wharf Bay branch (1908). Unsurprisingly, these branches (which had previously been uneconomical to build) soon became uneconomical to run with the advent of the motor car, so were early closures.

The only surviving (open) candidate I can think of in North Wales is Dolgarrog, which was opened in 1916 on the existing Conwy Valley line. I believe it was an unstaffed halt from opening.

Was Roman Bridge ever staffed?

It has quite a substantial former station building, so probably.

Am I right in thinking that some halts were staffed? I have an idea that on some lines, 'halt' meant that there were no facilities for goods, parcels, etc., and there might have been a small booking office -- I'm thinking of something a bit like Stonehouse is today.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A slight tangent, but there is some information about the Roman Bridge station building here and here. The latter page implies that it was once owned by a former stationmaster.

Marton

James Cook, Gypsy Lane, and Longbeck all opened post pay train I believe.

krus_aragon

Established Member

Bill Rear's "Chester to Holyhead Branch Lines" states:

The station was built in about 1878 by D. & E. Jones of Betws-y-Coed. The main building was a two storey stone structure which incorporated the stationmaster's house. The ground floor offices consisted of a station office, a booking office and a combined booking hall and waiting room.

Polarbear

Established Member
Bache is probably the only station on the Merseyrail network that has always been unstaffed. It did however, replace Upton-by-Chester halt in 1984 (on a different site), which was staffed up to the early 1980's.

Chrisyd

Hall-i'th-Wood on the Ribble Valley line between Bolton and Blackburn opened in the 80s and has apparently never been staffed.

Clip

Established Member
Did Sudbury & harrow road ever have a ticket office?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Bache is probably the only station on the Merseyrail network that has always been unstaffed. It did however, replace Upton-by-Chester halt in 1984 (on a different site), which was staffed up to the early 1980's.

Overpool has never been staffed.

But further down the line on what is now Northern Rail, there used to be a tiny, tiny ticket office at Stanlow & Thornton which opened in the evening peak when a couple of trains would start from there and run to Rock Ferry. It reminded me of the shed my dad built on his allotment.

I wonder whether Ince & Elton was ever staffed.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Trefforest Estate?

Staffed at one time, the booking office window is still in place at the station entrance.

Godley and Flowery Field I don't think have every been staffed.

The summer 1986 BR timetable gives Flowery Field as staffed and Godley as unstaffed.

I don't think these have been said -... Digby and Sowton

I believe the building at the station entrance was intended as a booking office, though I don't think it has ever been used.

But further down the line on what is now Northern Rail, there used to be a tiny, tiny ticket office at Stanlow & Thornton which opened in the evening peak when a couple of trains would start from there and run to Rock Ferry. It reminded me of the shed my dad built on his allotment.

It's still there!

6Gman

Established Member
Bill Rear's "Chester to Holyhead Branch Lines" states:

From time to time people suggest that all stations should be staffed.

When it crops up I always volunteer to be Station Master, Roman Bridge.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
From time to time people suggest that all stations should be staffed.

When it crops up I always volunteer to be Station Master, Roman Bridge.

I do wonder what some station staff used to do all day - most of the stations on the likes of the West Highland and Far North lines didn't lose their staff until the 1980s and I can't imagine custom was booming...

exile

Established Member
I do wonder what some station staff used to do all day - most of the stations on the likes of the West Highland and Far North lines didn't lose their staff until the 1980s and I can't imagine custom was booming...

In earlier times staff in small stations did multiple jobs - signalling, portering, shunting, clerical duties, selling tickets. However towards the end I can imagine
time passed rather slowly!

Status
Not open for further replies.