• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - current stations which were originally two separate stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
How many of these can we name?

I'm thinking purely of stations which were initially built and operated as 2 (or more) separate stations by different railway companies. Stations which were served by multiple companies but designed from the outset to operate as a single station (eg Carlisle Citadel) don't count.

Two examples are:

Birmingham New Street - originally owned by the Midland and LNWR
London Victoria - originally owned by the LB&SCR and LC&DR

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Salisbury? (LSWR and the other lot)

Oh and BAsingstoke too, wasn't it? (Ditto)

Was Yeovil Town joint - or were there separate platforms for the LSWR and the other lot?

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wrexham General. (The platform for Central was formerly Wrexham Exchange).
Leeds (City/Wellington).

A more recent one, Liverpool South Parkway which was Allerton (high level) and Garston (low level).

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
A more recent one, Liverpool South Parkway which was Allerton (high level) and Garston (low level).

Hmm, not sure if I'd count that. I'd treat it as a completely new station intended as a direct replacement for the two earlier stations.

JamesRowden

Established Member
Hastings - SER had a through station, LB&SCR had a terminus station adjacent to the SER station. Westbound services from each station used the same route out of the town but only the company which owned St Leonards Warrior Square was allowed to have trains stop there.

341o2

Established Member
Aberystwyth (Cambrian) VoR originally had its own station which was closed and the VOR diverted into what was now the BR mainline station

Launceston (GWR and LSWR originally seperate, then linked in 1943, the GWR station closed in 1952 and all trains used the SR station) Edit - are closed lines admissible?

One which doesn't quite fit is two stations owned by the same company and subsequentially amalgamated - Dorchester South

Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Hmm, not sure if I'd count that. I'd treat it as a completely new station intended as a direct replacement for the two earlier stations.

I disagree. The main line platforms are in the same place as (or very very near) the old Allerton platforms so it does count.

341o2

Established Member
Salisbury? (LSWR and the other lot)

Oh and BAsingstoke too, wasn't it? (Ditto)

Was Yeovil Town joint - or were there separate platforms for the LSWR and the other lot?

Both Salisbury and Basingstoke appear to count as at the outset the SR and GWR had their own stations in these towns. Partly due to the GWR broad gauge

EM2

Established Member
London Victoria was two separate stations (LCDR/GWR and LBSCR). The wall separating the two wasn't knocked through until the Grouping in 1923.

341o2

Established Member
Templecombe? There was originally a high level station for the LSWR and low level for S&D. A new platform was built at the high level station, and many S&D trains reversed into it. The last remainig platform of the low level station was closed a few months before closure of the S&D. The station was closed entirely, but reopened in 1983 for the Waterloo - Exeter service on what was once the LSWR main line

Bristol Temple Meads - Bristol & Exeter and GWR/Mid stations.

Exeter St David's - Bristol & Exeter and South Devon stations.

Crewe - Manchester and Birmingham had its own platform (extant, rear of Queens Arms hotel) distinct from Grand Junction station.

Parallel

Established Member
Abercynon - There used to be Abercynon North and Abercynon South with (I believe) the South station platform being relocated and the North station being rebuilt with it now just being called 'Abercynon'.

Bevan Price

Established Member

South Parkway is basically Allerton station, but with new buildings, and new low level platforms. The old Garston station was about 200 yards away.

As for the original question - the answer depends if the two were ever treated as a single station - or were they always considered to be separate stations ? And if you accept "separate stations", how close together do they need to be to qualify for the purposes of the question ?

Across the road ? - e.g. Wigan North Western & Wallgate ?
Or same town /city centre ? - e.g. Birmingham New St & Moor St ?

Veteran Member
Both Salisbury and Basingstoke appear to count as at the outset the SR and GWR had their own stations in these towns. Partly due to the GWR broad gauge

The present Salisbury is just the LSW station though, the GW closed around 1950.
I understood the OP as referring to stations that had been combined in some way.

Leeds Wellington MR and New LNW?

From other posts:
The present Leamington Spa is the GW station

Alton is pure LSW in its origin

Dorchester GW and LSW are (veryl) separate stations.

sjoh

Does the underground count? If so, Charing Cross was previously Strand and Embankment (amongst a variety of other renamings over the years). Only in the 70's with the arrival of the Jubilee were the two stations actually connected and renamed as one.
The two Paddingtons would be another example. I'm confident there are others.

341o2

Established Member
London Victoria was two separate stations (LCDR/GWR and LBSCR). The wall separating the two wasn't knocked through until the Grouping in 1923.
seems to be the best post on this discussion so far

nlogax

Established Member
I wonder if Kings Cross counts? While northbound trains from Moorgate used the main KX platform 14, southbound trains heading to Moorgate would stop at Kings Cross York Road between the Gas Works and York Road tunnel portals. As far as I've read, until its closure in 1977 KX York Road was a completely separate station.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Does the underground count? If so, Charing Cross was previously Strand and Embankment (amongst a variety of other renamings over the years). Only in the 70's with the arrival of the Jubilee were the two stations actually connected and renamed as one.
The two Paddingtons would be another example. I'm confident there are others.

No, no!! Charing Cross now is an amalgamation of Strand (Northern Line) and Trafalgar Square (Bakerloo Line) with the later addition of the Jubilee Line which was quickly taken away when the decision was made to go elsewhere after Green Park. The present Embankment Station was confusingly known by the Underground as Charing Cross and that renaming precipitated the other change. I was working at Northern Line control centre at the time and was very much in favour of the changes: I couldn't believe how many of the 'old guard' were against it, though!

gg1

Established Member
South Parkway is basically Allerton station, but with new buildings, and new low level platforms. The old Garston station was about 200 yards away.

...which is my logic for discounting it. If hypothetically LPY's Northern Line platforms had been built on the footprint of Garston's I would include it.

As for the original question - the answer depends if the two were ever treated as a single station - or were they always considered to be separate stations ? And if you accept "separate stations", how close together do they need to be to qualify for the purposes of the question ?

Across the road ? - e.g. Wigan North Western & Wallgate ?
Or same town /city centre ? - e.g. Birmingham New St & Moor St ?

My initial thinking on posing the question was adjacent but seperate stations owned by pre-nationalisation or pre-grouping companies which later merged into a single station when they came under common ownership. I hadn't initially considered stations which were operated separately by one owner and later combined by the same owner but these would still qualify.

Distance between the stations is irrelevant, they key points are:
  • The station is treated as a single station now
  • It was once treated as 2 separate stations
  • Where the current station has been rebuilt, it is broadly on the same footprint as the earlier stations - should have mentioned this in my original post really.

gg1

Established Member
I wonder if Kings Cross counts? While northbound trains from Moorgate used the main KX platform 14, southbound trains heading to Moorgate would stop at Kings Cross York Road between the Gas Works and York Road tunnel portals. As far as I've read, until its closure in 1977 KX York Road was a completely separate station.

That's an interesting one, I suppose it's similar argument to whether or not you count Waterloo East and Waterloo as one station or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.