• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - how many stations have a road bisecting their platforms and hence a level crossing within the station

deltic

Established Member
Travelling in Italy we stopped at Caslino al Piano station on the Milan regional rail network and I was surprised to see that it had a road bisecting the station. I assume the platforms were extended to the other side of the road at some stage. Are there any other stations with similar arrangements.

Added link to Google maps - https://www.google.com/maps/@45.711...vVK9ABWU5UwX889A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
A long time ago Halesworth used to be like this. The level crossing gates had sections of platform that fitted into the gap where the road went through. The level crossing was closed when the road bridge was built.

Taunton

Established Member
Can't really do it in the UK because of our high platforms and carriage doors, but common in the USA, where the train would stop with the head end baggage etc cars alongside the station building, for mails exchange etc, but the rear coaches, generally the sleepers, back across an adjacent level crossing - which would duly be bonging its strident warning bells for 5 or 10 minutes right outside the carriage window of some poor sleeper passengers at 3am! Passengers getting out at the door right on the crossing would have footstools put down, and be assisted out, by the brakeman.

Amtrak seems to have more recently removed this procedure in several places, and introduced drawing up, stopping twice. But sure some remain.

snowball

Established Member
Robinswood Road stop on Manchester Metrolink, if you count tram lines.

It's on the airport line which runs generally north to south from city to airport, but is locally running E-W alongside the road known as Simonsway. A N-S road, Ruddpark Road, crosses Simonsway with traffic lights, and crosses the Metrolink line on the level. One platform is east of this road, the other is west.

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Met this in Romania too - though admittedly it was difficult to determine what was platform and what was some concrete dumped by the track!

snowball

Established Member
Going back many years now, did the triangular shaped Earlestown station on the Liverpool to Manchester Railway line once have one of its platforms spllt that allowed though traffic on an industrial railway?
There was a north-south line across the triangle, continuing the line from the south, but it appears to have been to the east of the platform ends. Others may know better.

duffield

Established Member
Going back many years now, did the triangular shaped Earlestown station on the Liverpool to Manchester Railway line once have one of its platforms spllt that allowed though traffic on an industrial railway?
Looking at the various historical maps, it seems that the platforms on the north side of the triangle stretched from Earlestown West Junction to the point that the industrial railway crossed the main line, i.e. where they are located today, so no, it doesn't look like the platforms were ever split.

John Webb

Established Member
A long time ago Halesworth used to be like this. The level crossing gates had sections of platform that fitted into the gap where the road went through. The level crossing was closed when the road bridge was built.
Photos from the Geograph Website - click on photo to go to the larger original:
Level-crossing in the middle of Halesworth station, 1940

© Copyright Walter Dendy, deceased and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

From 2008:
Movable platform

© Copyright Keith Evans and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

By 2010 it seems they were no longer being used by trains:
Halesworth Station- looking north

© Copyright Basher Eyre and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Port Erin station in the Isle of Man has a right of way across the middle IIRC. (But it’s not a road.)

Kite159

Veteran Member

It's on the airport line which runs generally north to south from city to airport, but is locally running E-W alongside the road known as Simonsway. A N-S road, Ruddpark Road, crosses Simonsway with traffic lights, and crosses the Metrolink line on the level. One platform is east of this road, the other is west.

Plenty of stations both NR & other rail have platforms separately by a road. So it doesn't really count as the platforms themselves are not cut in two by a road like the OP's example.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Plenty of stations both NR & other rail have platforms separately by a road. So it doesn't really count as the platforms themselves are not cut in two by a road like the OP's example.

Are there actually "plenty" with different platforms on different sides of a road? I can only think of the (relatively recent) Mitcham Eastfields, which was constrained by long-existing roads/buildings when added to the line in the only really feasible place. Maybe someone here knows where they all are...

Sturry (between Canterbury West and
Minster). The up and down platforms are bisected by the A28.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Are there actually "plenty" with different platforms on different sides of a road? I can only think of the (relatively recent) Mitcham Eastfields, which was constrained by long-existing roads/buildings when added to the line in the only really feasible place. Maybe someone here knows where they all are...
Several on the Marston Vale have staggered platforms. Bow Brickhill, Aspley Guise, Lidlington come to mind.

Carlton (Nottingham) is like this

Magdalia

Established Member
Are there actually "plenty" with different platforms on different sides of a road?
The Liverpool Street-Kings Lynn line has 5:

Roydon
Harlow Mill (now has a bridge not a level crossing)
Elsenham
Waterbeach
Watlington (up platform moved to staggered position in relatively recent times)

Another in East Anglia is Brundall.

rf_ioliver

Travelling in Italy we stopped at Caslino al Piano station on the Milan regional rail network and I was surprised to see that it had a road bisecting the station. I assume the platforms were extended to the other side of the road at some stage. Are there any other stations with similar arrangements.
Is this what you mean: Lyngby Lokal in Copenhagen

gravitystorm

Szaflary in southern Poland, on the popular route to the mountain resort of Zakopane, has a road running across the middle of the island platform. You can see it clearly in Google Streetview:

The station is a passing point on an otherwise single track railway, so long intercity trains can wait at the station there blocking the road for quite some time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

There’s also quite a number like that on the Tyne Wear Metro system, but I don’t think they are what is being asked about, which was functionally continuous single platforms crossing a road. On the metro it was done by design for road safety so that all moves across the road were from a standing start.

Gloster

Established Member

It is years since I used the Nærumbanen, but if I remember correctly at Lyngby Lokal arriving trains run though one platform and over the crossing, before stopping for station duties. I presume that this is to avoid having the barriers down for a long time if there is a last second delay on departure. They are two separate platforms.

deltic

Established Member

Yes - I was travelling when posted so couldn't link to Google Maps but the Italian example can be seen here

dk1

Veteran Member
The Liverpool Street-Kings Lynn line has 5:

Roydon
Harlow Mill (now has a bridge not a level crossing)
Elsenham
Waterbeach
Watlington (up platform moved to staggered position in relatively recent times)

Another in East Anglia is Brundall.

I thought the OP meant with platforms on the same line both sides which is why I never mentioned some of these.

Not actually a station (although it did used to be), but the only example I can think of is at Midge Hall Signal Box. Trains that are travelling towards Ormskirk have to stop across the level crossing briefly to collect the token.

I thought the OP meant with platforms on the same line both sides which is why I never mentioned some of these.
I think they did, but the UK staggered platforms were mentioned in response to post #13 above. (There are some more on the Hastings line, I think). The Danish example above appears to be functionally similar to those, but with a single track and both platforms on the same side as it.

davidn

I think Ty Croes on the North Wales Coast line has staggered platforms separated by a level crossing from memory ..