• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia Missing platform numbers and reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
Also, West Croydon is missing Platform 2, I'm 99% sure this was a bay platform for the line to Wimbledon

Railsigns

Established Member
I was going to ask if there were any single platform stations where the platform wasn't numbered as 1, now I don't need to! :)
Seeing as hardly any single-platform stations display a platform number, you could turn the question around and ask if any single-platform stations do have a platform numbered as 1.

ls2270

Established Member
Also, West Croydon is missing Platform 2, I'm 99% sure this was a bay platform for the line to Wimbledon
It was indeed, yes, adjacent to the stairs that lead up to the exit from what’s now just Platforms 1 and 3.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seaford has no Platform 1, only Platform 2
It did once, until the layout at Seaford was rationalised, in or around 1975 (I think).

Similarly, Ulverston is now missing it's one-time platform 2, although the out-of-use platform edge is still there. Once used for cross platform transfers onto a local branch line.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The present day 1987 incarnation of Birmingham Snow Hill had 4 platforms (1-4) until the Midland Metro trams took over Platform 4 (and possibly denumbered).

Now that the trams have vacated Snow Hill when the extension to New Street/Grand Central opened a while ago, Platform 4 is missing.

There have been proposals to reinstate Platform 4, but I am unsure how far forward it is progressing or if any works have actually started.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Similarly, Ulverston is now missing it's one-time platform 2, although the out-of-use platform edge is still there. Once used for cross platform transfers onto a local branch line.
The branch line in question was that from Ulverston to Lakeside, which closed to passengers in c. 1965 (although the Haverthwaite to Lakeside section did subsequently re-open in 1973 as a steam/heritage line).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
What should have been Platform 7 is, shockingly for Stratford, exactly where it should be! Namely a bay between Platform 6 (Eastbound Central Line) and Platform 8 (Down Electric), as can be seen here on a Google Maps satellite view.

Stratford takes the biscuit on threads like these I think!

The exile

Established Member
Edinburgh platforms 5 and 6 were added in to a 5-and-6-shaped hole when the Motorail sidings were converted to passenger use.
Go back far enough (50 years or so) and Waverley had 1 &.2 then nothing till 10. 7 reappeared some time in the mid-70s.

Pat Figg

Seeing as hardly any single-platform stations display a platform number, you could turn the question around and ask if any single-platform stations do have a platform numbered as 1.
For about the last month the TfW website (well the Journey Check page anyway) has referred to the whole of Aberdare station (one platform) as Aberdare Platform 1. They are building a new platform but it looks like it will be a fairly unusual arrangement with the new platform being on the same side as the existing one and, as far as I can tell, will only be used to allow passengers to get off at Aberdare when another train is already occupying the existing platform. An expert on the South Wales Metro might be able to correct me on this. Not sure why they now have to refer to the current station as Aberdare Platform 1 though. Possibly some technical reason? I'd be interested to know the answer.

Tomos y Tanc

For about the last month the TfW website (well the Journey Check page anyway) has referred to the whole of Aberdare station (one platform) as Aberdare Platform 1. They are building a new platform but it looks like it will be a fairly unusual arrangement with the new platform being on the same side as the existing one and, as far as I can tell, will only be used to allow passengers to get off at Aberdare when another train is already occupying the existing platform. An expert on the South Wales Metro might be able to correct me on this. Not sure why they now have to refer to the current station as Aberdare Platform 1 though. Possibly some technical reason? I'd be interested to know the answer.
I don't know the answer but could it be something to do with RCT council's purchase of the old chicken factory site in Llwydcoed on the proposed Aberdare - Tower Colliery metro extention?

The council / TfW intend to develop the site as a Park and Ride facility and I wonder whether the platform you describe is some sort of enabling work for future plans.

EDIT; Just found this on the RCT planning portal

"Work includes

New double track will be constructed between Cwmbach Station and
Aberdare Station. The tracks will merge into a single line on the distance
between new and existing platforms

The development is required to accommodate the increased number of services
which will be operating on the Aberdare line which may lead to more than 1 train
being present at Aberdare station at the same time. The separation between the
existing and proposed platforms is due to signalling and track requirements,
amongst others. Primarily, the separation distance between the platforms is
required to ensure that if a train were to pass a red signal, it would not collide with
a train at the neighbouring platform."

Last edited:

Andrew1395

Bushey has a secret platform 3. No signage at the station, but occasionally used during the late evenings to set down only.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Bushey has a secret platform 3. No signage at the station, but occasionally used during the late evenings to set down only.
If platform 3 at Bushey is for alighting passengers only, guess that you don't need to advertise it too much.

bushplat3.jpg
(Pic of Platform 3 signage at Bushey station. Source: www.rail.co.uk)

Pat Figg

I don't know the answer but could it be something to do with RCT council's purchase of the old chicken factory site in Llwydcoed on the proposed Aberdare - Tower Colliery metro extention?

The council / TfW intend to develop the site as a Park and Ride facility and I wonder whether the platform you describe is some sort of enabling work for future plans.

EDIT; Just found this on the RCT planning portal

"Work includes

New double track will be constructed between Cwmbach Station and
Aberdare Station. The tracks will merge into a single line on the distance
between new and existing platforms

The development is required to accommodate the increased number of services
which will be operating on the Aberdare line which may lead to more than 1 train
being present at Aberdare station at the same time. The separation between the
existing and proposed platforms is due to signalling and track requirements,
amongst others. Primarily, the separation distance between the platforms is
required to ensure that if a train were to pass a red signal, it would not collide with
a train at the neighbouring platform."
Thanks, that makes sense.

I hope they do build a new station on the old chicken factory site as it's close to where I live and would be very handy. Actually, they would be re-opening the old Trecynon Halt station but I think they plan to call it Llwydcoed as technically that part of the railway line is just within Llwydcoed (I believe the community boundary between Aberdare West and Llwydcoed at that point is the river Cynon). The chicken factory site itself is actually in Trecynon though, just the other side of the river (community of Aberdare West). Personally, I'd prefer them to call it Trecynon. This probably belongs on the South Wales Metro thread so I won't go on!

james73

Glasgow Queen Street had 1-7 upstairs and 10-11 downstairs. 8 & 9 disappeared in, I believe, the 60s.

Originally, QS High Level had 9 platforms and the Low Level had 4 platforms, however they weren't numbered but lettered A, B, C and D. When the Low Level was electrified in 1960 the 4 platforms were reduced to 2 and presumably this is when they became 10 and 11. The High Level layout was changed completely in the mid-60s, reducing it from 9 to 7 platforms. This would explain why 8 and 9 may have appeared to be missing for a while. Not sure when the Low Level platforms were renumbered.

MadMac

Originally, QS High Level had 9 platforms and the Low Level had 4 platforms, however they weren't numbered but lettered A, B, C and D. When the Low Level was electrified in 1960 the 4 platforms were reduced to 2 and presumably this is when they became 10 and 11. The High Level layout was changed completely in the mid-60s, reducing it from 9 to 7 platforms. This would explain why 8 and 9 may have appeared to be missing for a while. Not sure when the Low Level platforms were renumbered.
You learn something every day! I think that the Low Level became 8/9 when Yoker took over the signalling around 1990.

Welshman

Established Member
Huddersfield has no platform 3 (this used to be at the Leeds end of platform 1 near the stable block, and was last used to stable parcels vehicles and/or spare locos, occasionally a Gronk) and no platform 7. The site of 7 is now a flowerbed/shrubbery at the Manchester end of the island platform.
I seem to remember reading that platform 3 was the Kirkburton bay.
I've often wondered if platform7, which was very short, was just used back in the day to stable a couple of coal wagons for the station fires. Halifax used to have a similar short bay between the original platforms 3 & 4.

jfollows

Established Member
I've often wondered if platform7, which was very short, was just used back in the day to stable a couple of coal wagons for the station fires. Halifax used to have a similar short bay between the original platforms 3 & 4.
See #51 and 48A 1958 for more on Huddersfield.

Bevan Price

Established Member
For about 30 years (maybe more), Warrington Bank Quay had platforms 1, 2, 3, (unused bay), 5. The unused, north-facing bay was not numbered and not allowed to be used for passenger services.

Only in recent memory was it renumbered to 1, 2, 3, 4.
That bay ceased to be useful after withdrawal of passenger services to St. Helens Shaw Street, and the stopping services to Wigan North Western.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

West Ealing has platforms 3, 4 and 5 but no 1 and 2, which were on the main line but removed years ago. In the same vein, Acton Main Line has no platform 1.
Add Hanwell to that list, only platforms 2&3. Platform on the up fast still exists, but the track is too far away to make it usable whilst that on the down slow is long gone

lachlan

Aberdeen has no platforms 1 and 2. Currently there are three south facing bays numbered 3-5 and two through platforms numbered 6 and 7 (both split into N (north) and S (south) portions.

There are two additional south-facing bays used for storage of trains that I presume were formerly platforms 1 and 2. I am interested if anyone knows what the platform faces beside New Telecom House and the now removed north-facing bays were numbered as?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Add Hanwell to that list, only platforms 2&3. Platform on the up fast still exists, but the track is too far away to make it usable whilst that on the down slow is long gone
Up and Down Mains, I think? Up Main is still present, Down Main not. Up and Down Reliefs (or the GWR loyalists will be on to you for suggesting the GWR ran 'slow' trains :lol:) are served rather frequently by Crossrail.

BeijingDave

Aberdeen has no platforms 1 and 2. Currently there are three south facing bays numbered 3-5 and two through platforms numbered 6 and 7 (both split into N (north) and S (south) portions.

There are two additional south-facing bays used for storage of trains that I presume were formerly platforms 1 and 2. I am interested if anyone knows what the platform faces beside New Telecom House and the now removed north-facing bays were numbered as?
This may help (sort of)...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It almost certainly will have been used by Kirkburton trains back when that line was in use. There's a degree of irony with platform 7, as it would have been quite useful as a bay for the Manchester or Marsden stoppers and would probably have been able to fit a 2-car Pacer... but was long gone by the time Pacers came along.

mike57

Established Member
Bridlington has just platforms 4,5 & 6. Platforms 1-3 were removed when the station was reduced in size in the early 80s. At least two lots of resignalling and a further major track rationalisation in 2021 have taken place, but on each occasion the platform numbers have remained unchanged. Platforms 7&8 dissappeared in the early 2000s. In 2021 cost was given as the reason, with the comment that changing the platform number would bring no benefits.

Does the first platform being 4 make Bridlington the station with the highest start number for platforms in the UK, or maybe even further afield.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Up and Down Mains, I think? Up Main is still present, Down Main not. Up and Down Reliefs (or the GWR loyalists will be on to you for suggesting the GWR ran 'slow' trains :lol:) are served rather frequently by Crossrail.
Mainlines is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.