• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Models of buses which have only ever been ordered by one operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Title should be pretty self-explanatory really, but I am going to apply some fairly arbitrary criteria to avoid causing too much confusion:
  • In order to be counted as the same model of bus it should be similar bodywork, built on the same chassis (or be an integral design), and use the same fuel type
  • I define "similar bodywork" to mean the same basic model - but basic options such as glazed staircases and different door configurations count as the same, and major facelifts and redesigns count as different, even if the model number was not changed (However, if a manufacturer advertises an option that has only been taken up once, then by all means mention that as well.)
  • Customisations relating to operator branding or their existing policies (e.g. liveries, signage and blinds, interior configuration, seating/moquette/carpet design, ticketing equipment) all count as the same model of bus
For example, the Volvo B5LH Wright SRM has only ever been ordered for RATP London Sovereign.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Title should be pretty self-explanatory really, but I am going to apply some fairly arbitrary criteria to avoid causing too much confusion:
  • In order to be counted as the same model of bus it should be similar bodywork, built on the same chassis (or be an integral design), and use the same fuel type
  • I define "similar bodywork" to mean the same basic model - but basic options such as glazed staircases and different door configurations count as the same, and major facelifts and redesigns count as different, even if the model number was not changed (However, if a manufacturer advertises an option that has only been taken up once, then by all means mention that as well.)
  • Customisations relating to operator branding or their existing policies (e.g. liveries, signage and blinds, interior configuration, seating/moquette/carpet design, ticketing equipment) all count as the same model of bus
For example, the Volvo B5LH Wright SRM has only ever been ordered for RATP London Sovereign.

The obvious one is the RML type Routemaster - only ever delivered to LT. The only other recipient (of the shorter, front entrance variant) were Northern General. The RML has, of course, been echoed by the Borismaster in only ever being in the capital. There is, also, the unique FRM.

From my native North East.....I give you the Leyland-DAB Tiger Cub - only two were built. One was a demonstrator and the other was ordered by United Automobile Services, arriving in late 1984. Both subsequently worked for Jim Stones of Glazebury and I think both still survive.

In addition, Darlington Corporation enjoyed some real oddities but unique were a batch of Ward Dalesmans with dual door Wadham Stringer bodywork.

awsnews

The sole Marshall bodied Ailsa which was built for Tayside but entered servce with Strathclyde Transport as AS1, NHS 782Y

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
XSA5Y Volvo B57/Alexander AYS was unique, entering service with Northern Scottish
XSA4Y Dennis Lancet/Alexander AYS - it was one of six, but the only one to carry a Y-type body

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the tempo SR's that trent barton had for the i4 and are now at Ipswich buses are the only in the UK.

busesrusuk

The obvious one is the RML type Routemaster - only ever delivered to LT. The only other recipient (of the shorter, front entrance variant) were Northern General. The RML has, of course, been echoed by the Borismaster in only ever being in the capital. There is, also, the unique FRM.

From my native North East.....I give you the Leyland-DAB Tiger Cub - only two were built. One was a demonstrator and the other was ordered by United Automobile Services, arriving in late 1984. Both subsequently worked for Jim Stones of Glazebury and I think both still survive.

In addition, Darlington Corporation enjoyed some real oddities but unique were a batch of Ward Dalesmans with dual door Wadham Stringer bodywork.
The Northern General Routemasters were the same length as the London RML - but with the door at the front. The only other front entrance Routemasters were those that BEA ordered for their Heathrow- London Terminal shuttles (although they were looked after by LT!) and were to the shorter RM length.

There are also two of the Volvo/Wright SRM that were delivered to Go Ahead London. Originally for a trial of opportunity charging in London which didn't happen so they are effectively now the same bus as the London Sovereign examples running as normal hybrid Volvo's. Pic of one of the London Sovereign examples here:

London Sovereign VHR45207 May17 | Waterloo Place, May 2017 | Flickr

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Much of the (first) Midland Red (BMMO) fleet consisted of its own original designs.

swifty

Established Member
Solent Blue Line's SN56 AWX was the only Enviro 400 built on a Volvo B7TL chassis.

Reading’s RX07 RKV was also the sole Man 18.240/East Lancs Kinetic decker built.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The Northern General Routemasters were the same length as the London RML - but with the door at the front. The only other front entrance Routemasters were those that BEA ordered for their Heathrow- London Terminal shuttles (although they were looked after by LT!) and were to the shorter RM length
Ah...that's what confused me. Thanks for putting me right.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I believe the Temsa Avenues with Arriva in the north east were the only right hand drive examples built? I know one of the 25 or so built was for a time with First West Yorkshire in fleet livery, but I think that was only ever in use as a trial and didn't create any orders (most likely in connection with the Arriva Bus & Coach dealership who import Temsa vehicles).

jp4712

Oh my, a lot to choose from...

Mancunians only bought by Manchester and it’s successor SELNEC, and weirdly arch-rival Salford
Anything for Tyneside with a nearside staircase
Quest 80 for Merseyside
London DMS wasn’t unique to London, of course - South Yorkshire PTE bought some new.
Manchester Corporation ‘streamliner’
Blackpool centre-entrance, full-front Leyland
many quaint purchases by Nottingham City Transport (and more than a few by neighbour Barton, including the only low-height DD chassis (Dennis Loline) that was then given a lowbridge body, resulting in a height of less than twelve feet!)
Walsall’s ‘funnies’ (although bizarrely, their later style of short Fleetline wasn’t unique to them - the SHMD Board bought some)
Wolverhampton Guy Arabs with Strachans bodies
Rochdale’s beautiful Regent V buses

I could go on...

DunsBus

Established Member
The Seddon Pennine 7/Alexander combination was only bought new by SBG.

Journeyman

Established Member
The London Transport Guy Special was unique, as far as I can tell. Nice little buses too.

cnjb8

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the tempo SR's that trent barton had for the i4 and are now at Ipswich buses are the only in the UK.
Some were ordered for an operator in Australia who then cancelled the order. As one had three doors and the others two (if I remember correctly), Manchester Airport took them on

I believe RATP London are the only operator to have ordered the Optare MetroCity in 9.90m form.

swifty

Established Member
I believe the MoD were the sole purchaser of Dennis Javelin with Wadham Stringer Vanguard 2 bodies. I can’t recall if the Leyland Tiger/Wadham Stringer was only purchased by the MoD as well?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe the MoD were the sole purchaser of Dennis Javelin with Wadham Stringer Vanguard 2 bodies. I can’t recall if the Leyland Tiger/Wadham Stringer was only purchased by the MoD as well?

I had a check on this as I had a vague recollection - Eastbourne Buses bought quite a few WS bodied Dennis vehicles incl. Darts, Lances and Javelins. The same search on Flickr also shows A1 Ardrossan (Mckinnon) had a pair of Tigers bought new, which did surprise me; I thought they were MoD only.

I lived in the Midlands for a bit and remember Stevensons/Arriva had a batch of Leyland Swifts but, instead of the usual Wadham Stringer body, they had Wright Handybus bodies; they were noticeable as the dimensions were a bit different being a higher floor chassis than a Dart. Were they unique to Stevos? Photo isn't mine (as I know the location is Wolverhampton not Burton!)

Julia

The Volvo B6-36 (super-short wheelbase) was, I think, unique to Cambus, and the Marshall bodywork on it was rare too. Horrid little things that could develop a weird back-and-forward bounce.

Roilshead

Oh my, a lot to choose from...

London DMS wasn’t unique to London, of course - South Yorkshire PTE bought some new.
SYPTE's "Londoner-style" Fleetlines were considerably different to LTE's DM/DMS "Londoner" Fleetlines: the chassis were standard Fleetline chassis which didn't incorporate any LT modifications (transmission, driver's cab/raised driving position, spring parking brake, etc) and the MCW bodies had SYPTE rather than LT interiors, different indicator/side-light fitments, four-lear front doors that opened to the door margins rather than the door centre, and no bustle shrouds. So the classes were so different that the SYPTE vehilces and LT's Londoners should both count as being unique.

py_megapixel

Established Member
SYPTE's "Londoner-style" Fleetlines were considerably different to LTE's DM/DMS "Londoner" Fleetlines: the chassis were standard Fleetline chassis which didn't incorporate any LT modifications (transmission, driver's cab/raised driving position, spring parking brake, etc) and the MCW bodies had SYPTE rather than LT interiors, different indicator/side-light fitments, four-lear front doors that opened to the door margins rather than the door centre, and no bustle shrouds. So the classes were so different that the SYPTE vehilces and LT's Londoners should both count as being unique.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a bustle shroud?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a bustle shroud?
Fair question. It's the encasement of the engine compartment as an external projection.

This is a standard example

Meanwhile, London B20 ones had differing arrangements

galwhv69

Are they still in operation? I have never seen them so would be something to keep an eye out for!
Yes

Link to track the RATP "VHR" class

Link to track the Go Ahead "VHP" class

Roilshead

How about anything BMMO (Midland Red)-built post war? . . . and probably quite a few of the pre-war classes as well. Do the Ford R192s/R1014s that Midland Red rebuilt to B27F midibuses in the late 1970s count?

Northern General's SE4 and SE6 designs of the 1930s, and - if rebuilds are allowed - its Picktree-bodied AEC Regal rebuilds (which carried a unique radiator design, and were registered as NGT/AEC. Oh! its Picktree "Continental" Guy Arab LUFs.

On a BET theme, in 1953 Maidstone & District took delivery of a unique SARO integral single-decker. Next-door, were East Kent's full-front AEC Regent Vs unique? - I can't think of any other operator. And at the other end of the country, in 1960 and 1961 Western Welsh took two batches of essentially-similar-but-slightly-different Weymann-bodied AEC Reliance coaches which together formed its "cambrian" and "Celtic" classes - they were certainly unique.

Any of Barton's BTS-Viewmaster rebuilds must count.

There must be dozens of examples from my time-frame (pre low-floor) alone, God alone knows about the new stuff - and that's before listing all the NIRTB/UTA/Ulsterbus and Belfast Corporation contenders (would the Alexander [Belfast]-bodied REs built for Ulsterbus and Citybus count? as both were under common management, with the shareholdings held by a common holding company [NITHCo]).

What about the Duple (Midland)/Willowbrook-bodied Bedford VASs run by MacBrayne's in the 1960s? - they looked the same as the standard Duple (Midland)/Willowbrook product but were built with a lower waistline/deeper side windows (and cove-lights) . . . is that enough of a difference to make them unique??

As "jp" wrote, the list goes on and on and . . .

londonteacher

Yes

Link to track the RATP "VHR" class

Link to track the Go Ahead "VHP" class
Thanks

Eyersey468

Established Member
I'm not sure if this counts as it was a school bus fleet but Wightbus had J142 JDL, a Wadham Stringer Vanguard 2 bodied Dennis Javelin which as far as I know was bought new by them.

Also how about the Borismasters, I don't think anyone other than TFL bought them, though they may not count as were specifically designed for London

Last edited:

Contains Nuts

PMT bodied a lot of their own buses in the 1980’s and 1990’s, but I’m not sure whether any other operators purchased them.

RELL6L

Quite a few locked in the back of my mind, need to consult some old volumes to be sure...
Some weird chassis-body combinations from the past but not sure what was technically unique.

Possibly (I see some already mentioned):
I think South Yorkshire had a single Van Hool bodied Atlantean
Darlington's Ward Dalesmen
Ipswich's B21s
The FRM
Reading had Bristol REs with Strachans bodies. These were certainly not pretty, but were they unique?
There was also very few REs with bodies by Park Royal, Metro Cammell, Northern Counties, Alexander, possibly Pennine. Again not sure what might have been unique.
The REMHs were all for SBG.
Reading's VRs were pretty unusual, they were very long and bodied by Northern Counties? West Midlands' MCW VRs also.
Were there any Seddon RUs bodied other than by Seddon/Pennine? Maybe for Lancashire United, could be wrong here. And I am sure Doncaster had something fairly unusual.
Marshall bodied LHS for Mousehole
Single decker Atlanteans and Fleetlines were usually all slightly different, eg the early Birmingham batch.
ECW bodied very small numbers of Swifts, eg for Waveney but I think there were others too
Fishwick bodied some of their own buses, nearly all unique
Arguably the strangely designed Nottingham deckers for many years were unlike anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.