• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: most expensive pint at a station pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimini

Established Member
Having shelled out £6.65 for a pint of Asahi at the Three Guineas at Reading station the other day, just wondered what the most expensive pint you’ve ordered from a station pub is? I think I’ve read that the one upstairs at Manchester Picc is nudging £7 (!) at the moment, but haven’t been there personally.

Any advances on £6.65?

(Other choices of libation / comparison all welcomed as well :D )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
It was £6.29 for Guinness or Stella at the Mill in Manchester Piccadilly the other Saturday.

£7.31 in St Pancras a good few years back.

(No idea where the 1p came from but that was the actual price before anyone queries it.)

SteveM70

Established Member
Having shelled out £6.65 for a pint of Asahi at the Three Guineas at Reading station the other day, just wondered what the most expensive pint you’ve ordered from a station pub is? I think I’ve read that the one upstairs at Manchester Picc is nudging £7 (!) at the moment, but haven’t been there personally.

Any advances on £6.65?

(Other choices of libation / comparison all welcomed as well :D )

Never heard of a pub named after the price of a half before

Dave W

(No idea where the 1p came from but that was the actual price before anyone queries it.)
Probably £6.50 and a 12.5% service charge!

St Pancras must be up there. The Betjeman Arms is a nice venue but it’s not a cheap night out...

Revaulx

Pretty sure you can pay £6.99 for a Moretti at the Mill in Piccadilly. Thankfully I wasn’t paying
Is the Mill what used to be the Mayfield?

If it has changed in name only I don’t think I’d pay to go in. It’s not like there aren’t other options at hand.

BeccaOnATrain

Yep I always seem to pay £6 + at The Mill in Manchester Piccadilly.. normally go for a Strongbow Darkfruit.
Thankfully Manchester is awash with nice little pubs within a few minutes walk. Piccadilly Central across the road where the trams pull is my favourite choice, though still not the cheapest.

and this while a pint of Twickenham Naked Ladies" can be had for £3.59 at St Pancras, The Barrel Vault (Spoons)
I know where I will be drinking.

Does anyone know the current prices at Sheffield Tap? I was priced out around two years ago.

Established Member
£6.99 for a Moretti in The Mill in Manchester. I walked out in disgust. A slight premium is understandable, but that's just taking the mick. Especially as it's an SSP establishment.

The Asahi in Reading mentioned above was £6.45 when I went, so that's got worse. Even the Wetherspoons at London Victoria is pricey, £5.39 for a Corona.

and this while a pint of Twickenham Naked Ladies" can be had for £3.59 at St Pancras, The Barrel Vault (Spoons)
I know where I will be drinking.

Does anyone know the current prices at Sheffield Tap? I was priced out around two years ago.

This was several years ago and one pint, with friends while waiting for a Eurostar before a holiday.

And no matter how cheap it gets, I’ll always do my best to avoid a Wetherspoons :)

Dave W

This was several years ago and one pint, with friends while waiting for a Eurostar before a holiday.

And no matter how cheap it gets, I’ll always do my best to avoid a Wetherspoons :)

Which venue was it Paul?

I've been in the Betjeman Arms a couple of times and the prices are pretty jaw dropping but I do like the venue. I did my recent birthday in there as I was coming back from Luton and had people converging from all directions (Euston Tap not an option for those heretic non-beer drinkers amongst the group...)

Tiptoeing to avoid a London vs rest of UK argument but it's unusual in Central London to see pints for under £5 these days. Keg lager/beer is nearer £6.

Interesting that the pubs I know of in the Central London stations are almost entirely "branded" - the Betj is Youngs; Mad Bishop (Paddington), Parcel Yard (KX) and Signal Box (Euston) are all Fullers... And whilst they very definitely charge "London Prices", there isn't particularly a premium vs their pubs outside the station.

So I guess the question is: does this, vs (e.g.) SSP in non-London locations, remove the "London Prices" element, at least between railway stations?

EDIT: I didn't realise "r U K" [without spaces] automatically corrected to the full forum name - been in use for some years as an acronym for "rest of UK" :)

D6130

Established Member
Slightly OT, but the Saturday before last I had a pint of Cairngorm Tradewinds (3.8%) in the Boat Country Hotel across the road from Boat of Garten station on the Strathspey Railway. Because it was table service only (and card payment only) the price was not immediately apparent, but I was somewhat shocked when my bill arrived to find that it was £5.60! An hour later, I walked into the Winking Owl in Aviemore - which stocks a range of four different Cairngorm ales - and was pleasantly surprised to find that my pint of Wildcat, their 5.1 % strong red ale, cost a mere £4.20.

For anyone who has time to spare at Kings Cross or St Pancras - and like me is not a fan of Wetherspoons - I can recommend the King Charles I in Northdown Street, Pentonville, which is less than ten minutes walk away. This is a relaxed, friendly co-operative pub, owned by the local community, where on my last visit in January all three of the ales available cost £4.20 a pint, regardless of strength. They don't do food, but you can order a meal from the cafe across the road and they will bring it across to the pub for you.

Trackman

Established Member
It was £6.29 for Guinness or Stella at the Mill in Manchester Piccadilly the other Saturday.
Do they still take Bite cards there?
---
About 4 years ago I paid £5.40 for a pint at the Beer House in Man Vic (The 1st class dome thingy). God only knows what it costs now.
I always avoid in-station pubs like the plague.

D6130

Established Member
About 4 years ago I paid £5.40 for a pint at the Beer House in Man Vic (The 1st class dome thingy). God only knows what it costs now.
I always avoid in-station pubs like the plague.
There are quite a few good old-fashioned and relatively-cheap pubs within a five minute walk of Manchester Victoria....especially in the Shude Hill/Rochdale Road direction.

Dave W

King Charles I in Northdown Street, Pentonville

A superb hostelry.

Suspect no one will suggest the nearby Flying Scotsman in this thread based on experi... what someone told me. :lol:

(A joke that's sadly(!?) now moot - it's now been reinvented as a trendy wine bar...!)

IanD

Established Member
A superb hostelry.

Suspect no one will suggest the nearby Flying Scotsman in this thread based on experi... what someone told me. :lol:

(A joke that's sadly(!?) now moot - it's now been reinvented as a trendy wine bar...!)
Feet stuck to the Flying Scotsman carpet a few times. Last time I visited (pre-lockdown) it was the Scottish Stores serving some decent real ales.

Most expensive station pints I've had Parcel Yard (Kings Cross), Signal Box (Euston) and Beer House (Manchester) - all over £6/pint also pre lockdown. Wouldn't bother visiting any again, as others have pointed out much more reasonably priced pints could be found within 200 metres of them all.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Just unexpectedly got the afternoon free and en-route to Euston.

Are there any exceptional ale houses nearby?

Status
Not open for further replies.