• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most mentioned town/village without a station

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Yes, another of these.

We're looking for the places in the UK without railway stations that are currently open. Which of these are mentioned the most?

Here are some candidates, for entirely different reasons:

-Adlestrop
-Keswick
-Galashiels (not for much longer)
-Dudley
-Gosport

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oldman

Forfar (Athletic) and Brechin (City) are mentioned most Saturdays.

thenorthern

Established Member
Dudley is mentioned a lot but from a personal point of view Dudley IS served by Sandwell and Dudley but not Dudley Port.

Before it re-opened Corby would have been mentioned a lot.

One I don't think I have ever seen mentioned that is a very big place with no station is Newcastle-under-Lyme.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Leigh (Lancashire)
Tyldesley
Skelmersdale
Richmond (Yorkshire)
Ripon

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
How about Dartmouth, which is I think the only place that's got a station building but no trains?

And, to follow on Amberley54's contribution, how about Whetherfield - or Weatherfield .... I'm not sure how they spell it!

:)

317 forever

Established Member
St Andrews is the largest town in Scotland without a rail station, if not the largest in Britain.

Gateshead and West Bromwich, but they do have the respective Metros.

Hanley, which has a larger town centre than Stoke-on-Trent.

Brecon

Helston

bluenoxid

Established Member
Hmmmm

Well it is dependent on what kind of scope you are talking about. Is it mentions on here, local media, etc. Much of it depends on the stage that the projects is at.

21C101

Established Member
Newport (IOW)
Gorleston
Southwold
Hunstanton
Waterlooville

There was talk of the Isle of Wight Railway extending westwards to Newport at one time but not heard anything for ages. They are only a mile or two away

Waterlooville is, I think, unique in this list in that it has never ever had a railway station. With a population of 64,350 it must be far and away the largest town in the UK never to have had a station.

Rapidash

Waterlooville is, I think, unique in this list in that it has never ever had a railway station. With a population of 64,350 it must be far and away the largest town in the UK never to have had a station.

Considering the vast amount of traffic that place suffers from, it could definitly do with one! Visiting my gran in Horndean would be a damn sight easier!:)

I was going to say 'Brixham' but, alas, I'm responsible for most of it's mentions here! :D

Last edited:

21C101

Established Member
Considering the vast amount of traffic that place suffers from, it could definitly do with one! Visiting my gran in Horndean would be a damn sight easier!:)

I was going to say 'Brixham' but, alas, I'm responsible for most of it's mentions here! :D

In quieter (or is it dafter?) moments I've imagined a full South Hants Underground network:

Basically it would have the following lines each of which would run every 15 minutes:

Rownhams (M27 P&R), Shirley, Southampton Central, Southampton Ocean Village, Hythe, Fawley, Cowes, Northwood, Newport, Wooton, Haven Street, Ryde St Johns, Ryde Esplanade Low Level, Portsmouth & Southsea, Southsea, Eastney, Hayling Island, Stoke, Havant, Bedhampton North, Purbrook, Waterlooville, Horndean (A3 P&R)

Rownhams (M27 P&R), Shirley, Southampton Central, Southampton Ocean Village, Hythe, Fawley, Hamble-le-rice, Locks Heath, Stubbington, Lee on Solent, Alverstoke, Gosport, Portsmouth & Southsea, Southsea, Eastney, Hayling Island, Hayling East, West Wittering, East Wittering, Selsey, Padgham, Bognor Regis, Middleton on Sea, Littlehampton.

Ventnor, Shanklin, Lake, Sandown, Ryde St Johns, Ryde Esplanade Low Level, Portsmouth & Southsea, Gosport, Brockhurst, Bridgemary, Fareham

Stubbington, Lee on Solent, Alverstoke, Gosport, Pportsmouth & Southsea, Southsea, Eastney, Hayling Island, Stoke, Havant, Bedhampton North, Purbrook, Waterlooville, Horndean (A3 P&R)

The triangular Portsmouth & Southsea Deep Level station would be a wonder to behold.....

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Louth in East Lindsey.
Fleetwood in Lancashire but may open in a year.
Oswestry in Salop.
Immingham on the Humber.
Helston in Cornwall.
Peterhead in Aberdeenshire.
Market Weighton in East Riding of Yorkshire.
Soham in Cambridgeshire.
Canvey Island in Essex.
Enniskillen in Fermanagh.
Cardigan in Dyfed.
Catterick in Durham.
Guiseborough in Cleveland.
Bideford in Devon.
Wigtown in Galloway.
St Andrews in Fife.
Portishead in Avon.
Oldham in Greater Manchester has no railway station now!
West Derby in Merseyside.
Southwell in Nottinghamshire (a city according to locals).
Wisbech in Cambridgeshire.
Mablethorpe in East Lindsey.
Clay Cross in Derbyshire.
Keswick in Cumbria.
Elland in West Yorkshire.
Peterlee in Durham.
Campbeltown is the furthest from a station in the UK.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Yes, another of these.

We're looking for the places in the UK without railway stations that are currently open. Which of these are mentioned the most?

Here are some candidates, for entirely different reasons:

-Adlestrop
-Keswick
-Galashiels (not for much longer)
-Dudley
-Gosport

Having run through the Google Stats for a website that I look after that tracks proposed railway lines and stations, I have been able to ascertain the following in terms of number of mentions on the website as keywords.

Crossrail/Crossrail 2
East West Rail
Dawlish Diverson (Tavistock and Okehampton)
Borders Rail (Galashiels, Tweedbank)
Levenmouth
Portishead
Kirkstall Forge
Abertillery
Wisbech
Ilkeston
Kenilworth
Bermuda Park
Pye Corner
Barking Extension (LOROL)
Pickering - Malton