• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most "overkill" bus stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayman Ilham

Inspired by another thread on this forum (linked below), let's explore the other end of the spectrum.
While that thread explored "bus stations" that are barely bus stations, this thread will look at bus stations that are too grand for the level of services they receive. One example that comes to mind is Nelson Interchange, a nice fancy terminal (similar design to Burnley and Chorley) boasting 10 bays, yet only a few local services serve the rather modest town regularly (there is the Mainline to Keighley and another service to Clitheroe but not much else within the realms of interurban routes), which barely justifies 10 stands. The X43 stopped serving it years back except a few peak services and the Skipton extension, which broke off as a separate route, bypasses Nelson most of the time.

1668448940047.png
Any other such examples?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
I think I would add Manchester Airport to the list. Built with 15 stands.
1 stand has been repurposed for loading (I presume for the cafe),
3 stands are 'coach layover' (Not sure I have seen any coaches laying over. 2 of them are often used by buses on layover so drivers can avoid being watched by passengers)
3 stands for scheduled coaches (Which seem relatively well used)
1 stand used for the regular 43.
The other 8 stands cover public 11 buses per hour (of which 3 stands only have 1 bus per hour and 2 stands are used by the 313 which
Somewhere inbetween this, there is the Amazon staff bus and The Hut Group staff bus which run various trips throughout the days. Not sure which stands they use.

Liverpool South Parkway too. While it's of the right size maybe for the amount of buses which pass though, if you compare the size to the amount of bus passengers which pass though, it's way overkill.
In terms of buses, it's around 29-30 buses per hour over essentially just 3 stands (stand 1 is drop off only and stand 2 only has 1 bus per hour) which is a lot but overall, the passenger numbers through the bus station are extremely low.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Sheffield Interchange seems like a shadow of its former self in terms of both service calls and passengers.

Andyh82

Established Member
In terms of Manchester Airport Bus Station, I believe it also has to deal with coaches associated with flights (such as diverted flights, cruise ship flights etc) hence why they need numerous coach bays

Nelson is a classic one where since it was built the bus services have been rationalised, no competing operators anymore, the core service is all that is left, they could probably cope with 3 stands.

There are various very well specified bus stations in PTE areas where secondary towns like Cleckheaton, Batley, Ossett, Wythenshaw, Middleton have very fancy bus stations

Ayman Ilham

The (in)famous Preston Bus Station used to have a whopping 80 stands (no bus station in the UK has ever come close AFAIK) but now since the number of services (while still sizeable) is far fewer than it was in the 1960s and '70s during its heyday, it got cut down to 40 (still massive) when one half got converted into a nice public space and entrance concourse.

mjc

An honourable mention for the grandly titled Longton Transport Interchange here I think. Built with 9 stands only three get regular service, one gets 6 departures a day, another three and the last one just one service a day, with the remainder unused.
First opted out of using the interchange several years ago because it requires a diversion of the route, only short but then an additional two sets of traffic lights to get through so slowing journeys down and making them unreliable.

Ayman Ilham

An honourable mention for the grandly titled Longton Transport Interchange here I think. Built with 9 stands only three get regular service, one gets 6 departures a day, another three and the last one just one service a day, with the remainder unused.
First opted out of using the interchange several years ago because it requires a diversion of the route, only short but then an additional two sets of traffic lights to get through so slowing journeys down and making them unreliable.
That's a very similar case to Nelson in many ways; the bus station is even the exact same layout and next to its train station. Given the lack of bus services combined with the main bus route avoiding the bus station, this goes down as even more overkill than Nelson cos at least Nelson has at least half its stands in use with frequent Mainline services.
There are various very well specified bus stations in PTE areas where secondary towns like Cleckheaton, Batley, Ossett, Wythenshaw, Middleton have very fancy bus stations
Indeed, there are loads of examples I can think of, hence the aim of this thread to try and list all of them ;)
Sheffield Interchange seems like a shadow of its former self in terms of both service calls and passengers.
Doesn't that 'shadow of its former self' title apply to most cities and towns in the UK?

Last edited:

JD2168

Manor Top Interchange in Sheffield, 3 stands but only one is used.

I think the problem with Sheffield Interchange is that it is in the wrong place for where the main shopping areas are which is why most services use Arundel Gate instead.

James101

Maybe Seaton Carew?

A lovely 1930s Art Deco design which looks lovely but also architecturally significant as the first use of curved concrete. Thankfully listed and protected.

Very grand for a solitary Middlesbrough bound only Stagecoach service 1 every 30 minutes. The plastic shelter directly opposite enjoys a bus every 10 minutes.

A relic of a busier time for the English seaside resort, but happily serves as a shelter to enjoy chips and provides a home for a charity providing beach-going wheelchairs for those with reduced mobility.

Photo features the main clock tower and toilets but cuts off part of each of the long waiting shelters.

Attachments

• 3984994B-1EA1-4648-8929-E96B6305FB30.jpeg
    3984994B-1EA1-4648-8929-E96B6305FB30.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 96

Pit_buzzer

Doncaster Sheffield Airport, 3 bus stands, accessed by security barriers for 2 buses per hour and the airport closed to passengers

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Nelson is a classic one where since it was built the bus services have been rationalised, no competing operators anymore, the core service is all that is left, they could probably cope with 3 stands.

You make the point well and, let's be honest, if it was a commercial entity (like a developer) then the bus station would be likely too small. It's only public bodies that have such largesse or are unencumbered by financial realities.

There's a few that I find bonkers in how they were built. Wigan seems absolutely huge for what it is but it's the secondary towns, as you say, that catch the eye especially when relatively (and appropriately) modest ones are rebuilt. Dinnington in South Yorkshire is one but West Yorkshire PTE is perhaps the past master. I've cited Cleckheaton and Ossett in the past, but yesterday, I was in Batley.

Batley was built on the old bus station that was originally owned by Yorkshire Woollen (I think) and so was NBC owned rather than WYPTE in the 1970s/1980s and it was a dump. It was rebuilt in 2005 with a covered concourse, six stands and a retail unit. However, it is located on the very, very edge of the town centre in a really peripheral location so the retail unit is unused. The services to Wakefield and Birstall don't use it (they use Commercial Street) so stand A is two buses/hour to Heckmondwike, stand D is two to Leeds, stand B is two to Dewsbury, stand C gets four to Dewsbury, stand E once an hour to Ossett, and stand F gets two buses/hour to Cleckheaton and Morley. Six stands for 13 buses/hour! That's overkill!

Simon75

On Moderation
It has 3 irregular services (37,40,50), plus 2 1/2 hour Monday to Saturday (22 to Newcastle, 1/1A Audley/Silverdale to Meir)
22 and 37 run by First

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Wigan seems absolutely huge for what it is but it's the secondary towns, as you say, that catch the eye especially when relatively (and appropriately) modest ones are rebuilt.

I wouldn't say Wigan was oversized, it seemed very busy when I was last there. I was surprised at how big both Leigh and Chorley bus stations were though.

The PTE bus stations are a funny one. There are quite a few in West Yorkshire which do very much appear to be overkill. But still there's still more than a couple- such as Heckmondwike- which are needlessly rubbish.

But equally the cost of the overkill is likely to be marginal. If you're not just having bus shelters in a turning circle then you're constructing a building. And a building with six stands isn't going to priced very differently to a building with three or four stands, especially with the modular nature of the construction.

There are a couple in West Yorkshire- Ossett and Hemsworth spring to mind- which could just be a couple of bus shelters in a turning circle, mind.

Ayman Ilham

I wouldn't say Wigan was oversized, it seemed very busy when I was last there. I was surprised at how big both Leigh and Chorley bus stations were though.

The PTE bus stations are a funny one. There are quite a few in West Yorkshire which do very much appear to be overkill. But still there's still more than a couple- such as Heckmondwike- which are needlessly rubbish.

But equally the cost of the overkill is likely to be marginal. If you're not just having bus shelters in a turning circle then you're constructing a building. And a building with six stands isn't going to priced very differently to a building with three or four stands, especially with the modular nature of the construction.

There are a couple in West Yorkshire- Ossett and Hemsworth spring to mind- which could just be a couple of bus shelters in a turning circle, mind.
Ossett and Heckmondwike should swap bus stations :lol:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Not saying that Wigan isn't a busy town. However, the bus station has 19 stands but it's not even just that. It's the height of the building, the wide expanse of the vehicle apron. I know it's on the same footprint of the old bus station but that was a space hungry run-through rather than a saw tooth. It's all just a bit massive, and Bolton

Heckmondwike has never had a bus station AFAIK so the bus hub is probably appropriate for a town that size. Batley, Ossett and Cleckheaton are probably overkill - esp Batley. I'm all for better facilities but I find it difficult to really justify Batley - peripheral location, poorly utilised, and even whilst the construction cost may be marginal as to whether it has 4 or 6 stands, I'd question whether the place really should've been built in the first place.

As for Hemsworth, that's not one that bothers me. It was built as part of the Tesco store and the four stands are mainly outside; just my opinion though.

_toommm_

Established Member
Matlock Bus Station, both the old one next to the M&S, and the new one next to the station (although that's currently closed - not sure whether it's been refurbished/knocked down).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Batley used to have a better service than it does now though: the 229 before it was diverted due to timekeeping issues was 2bph. It also isn't any more "peripheral" than Leeds or Huddersfield in terms of distance from the main shopping area.

Of the smaller WY stations, Pontefract is a weird one, with an oddly narrow concourse that reminds me of a Butlins chalet block. Most of the others are broadly the same design, a bit like McDonald's drive-thrus.

chessie

Matlock Bus Station, both the old one next to the M&S, and the new one next to the station (although that's currently closed - not sure whether it's been refurbished/knocked down).
The new Matlock Bus Station is currently closed as there is no access to it due to the flood defence works that are ongoing, I cant recall the date but it will re-open in due course. The old Bus Station is scheduled to change soon as plans are progressing to turn the Market Hall next to M&S into a two screen cinema, this will reduce the size of the old Bus Station

Absolutely agree though Matlock is an example where everything is in place for integrated transport between new Bus Station and Railway Station but its just ended up as absolute overkill due to bad planning

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'd question whether the place really should've been built in the first place.

There are definitely a few in West Yorkshire which could just be four bus shelters in a turning circle. Brighouse is always weirdly deserted, even more so now First West Yorkshire can't be bothered with life anymore, and the main Huddersfield-Bradford buses not even serving it.

Ken H

On Moderation
There are definitely a few in West Yorkshire which could just be four bus shelters in a turning circle. Brighouse is always weirdly deserted, even more so now First West Yorkshire can't be bothered with life anymore, and the main Huddersfield-Bradford buses not even serving it.
What about Otley. When i was there a couple of weeks ago it was more stands than buses.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What about Otley. When i was there a couple of weeks ago it was more stands than buses.
It's years since I've been to Otley, but isn't it just three stands attached to the shopping centre and a bus shelter round the corner?

_toommm_

Established Member
It's years since I've been to Otley, but isn't it just three stands attached to the shopping centre and a bus shelter round the corner?

Four in the main bit, plus one around the corner. A few of the services are just one day a week affairs though.

Soundwave

Brodick Bus Terminal on the Isle of Arran has 6 stands (sorry, stances) for 3 services

Andyh82

Established Member
Must have been a quiet moment because often all the buses turn up at the same time and the very small site can get quite busy. They employ a permanent banksman to help the buses back off the stands

alistairlees

Established Member
Must have been a quiet moment because often all the buses turn up at the same time and the very small site can get quite busy. They employ a permanent banksman to help the buses back off the stands
Otley bus station was once probably about 5 or more times the size it is today. Most of it was standing for buses not in service though.

The (in)famous Preston Bus Station used to have a whopping 80 stands (no bus station in the UK has ever come close AFAIK) but now since the number of services (while still sizeable) is far fewer than it was in the 1960s and '70s during its heyday, it got cut down to 40 (still massive) when one half got converted into a nice public space and entrance concourse.
Bradford interchange as was had islands A to E (or, possibly, F - I can’t remember) each of which had 20 or more stands on. So 100+. I don’t think they could all be used at the same time though because of the spacing.

gnolife

Established Member
There are various very well specified bus stations in PTE areas where secondary towns like Cleckheaton, Batley, Ossett, Wythenshaw, Middleton have very fancy bus station
Wythenshawe may be fancy, but it's slightly too small for the number of buses using it - stand E in particular is a congested mess.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Batley used to have a better service than it does now though: the 229 before it was diverted due to timekeeping issues was 2bph. It also isn't any more "peripheral" than Leeds or Huddersfield in terms of distance from the main shopping area.

Of the smaller WY stations, Pontefract is a weird one, with an oddly narrow concourse that reminds me of a Butlins chalet block. Most of the others are broadly the same design, a bit like McDonald's drive-thrus.
Even with the rationalised 229 and moving the 281/3 Birstall runs out, the level of activity was pretty small. Whilst I take your point about Leeds or Hudds being peripherally located, they ARE busy bus stations and a location of sufficient size in a city/town centre is tricky. Batley is oversized, peripheral and quiet (and arguably not really needed).

Pontefract is constrained by the site dimensions and so is an island rather than a sawtooth (as is Brighouse). It was one of the first really decent bus stations that West Yorkshire had and is now quite old (but still decent). Think it must date from early-mid 1980s
Not been there in a while but it was one (like a number) that were just a few bus shelters and then Metro decided to spend a lot to update them.

I find Otley to be exactly what a town that size should have. It's four stands, quite busy most of the time, and waiting facilities under cover albeit under the overhang of the shopping centre roof rather than a separate concourse.

Andyh82

Established Member
Regarding Batley, it was obviously built on the existing site so there was only ever three options - leave the existing derelict facility whilst everywhere else got a new bus station, build a new bus station on the existing site, or close the bus station all together. Options 1 and 3 would never have been accepted. There was never an option to buy new land.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Regarding Batley, it was obviously built on the existing site so there was only ever three options - leave the existing derelict facility whilst everywhere else got a new bus station, build a new bus station on the existing site, or close the bus station all together. Options 1 and 3 would never have been accepted. There was never an option to buy new land.
Option 3 might have been the better idea TBH and not certain why it would never have been accepted. The previous incarnation was truly awful. Arguably three decent bus stops around the market square would have been simpler, cheaper, better located and more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.