• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: most underwhelming end to a main route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
London - Kings Lynn.
But Kings Lynn still shows it WAS a real terminus, once upon a time.

I hate to say it - but though the station is nice - the area around Swansea High Street is really awful. Decline since the 1970's when the "center of gravity" moved away towards the coast , and what is left is truly grim.
Only place I've ever suffered from a mugging attempts was by Swansea High Street, one summer evening, 1975. A big fellow, I suspect suffering from psychological problems. I got away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Con

Rosslare Europort.
Very much so. Open air, palisade fencing, and 700 metres away from the ferry. The bizarre thing about it is that Irish Rail own and operate Rosslare Europort and made a conscious decision to make the railway station inconvenient to the ferries in the 2000s!

BayPaul

Established Member
The bizarre thing about it is that Irish Rail own and operate Rosslare Europort and made a conscious decision to make the railway station inconvenient to the ferries in the 2000s!
At the pleading of the ferry operators - the previous station was horrendous for vehicle debark - the barriers were down so long that traffic backed up all the way onto the ships.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
But Kings Lynn still shows it WAS a real terminus, once upon a time.

Only place I've ever suffered from a mugging attempts was by Swansea High Street, one summer evening, 1975. A big fellow, I suspect suffering from psychological problems. I got away.

My apologies on behalf of the City of Swansea - self and 2 others were attacked by some n'eer do wells at the other end of High St around the same time. We were assisted in our plight by some civic minded passersby and the local police took it very seriously , splitting us up individually to patrol the area in cars to look for them , they had a robust approach and were genuinely annoyed we had been thumped for no reason. No luck alas - but we gave good descriptions.

alex397

Established Member
Always found Ramsgate to be a pretty uninspiring station.
The location is rather uninspiring. In a generic suburban area which must be disappointing for those who have travelled down for the day from suburban London.

I’ve visited three times, and unbelievably each time there has been a fight happening or altercation with station staff or police, but that isn’t exactly uncommon for Thanet!

The station building however is a great distraction from the passengers who use it. A great example of Art Deco, and well preserved. An old WHSmith sign is also preserved there if I remember correctly.

I prefer Margate though. Slightly prefer the design of this one and the view of the beach as you leave the station is beautiful. A stark contrast to the view from Ramsgate station!
Margate Station also reminds me of a scene from Only Fools & Horses which was filmed outside.

Scouseinmanc

Nothing much save for a few modern apartments and a trading estate across the road. Looks like the line was meant to continue on up to Bradwell on Sea, but never quite made it

Status
Not open for further replies.