• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Nicknames / slang that are widely accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosutsut

So I mean at an industry or spotter level. Not oh my grandad used to call Citaros "Zippos" because they always catch fire I mean unofficial terms that you could use and the vast majority would know what you meant.

For example, the original First Group corporate livery circa 1998 dubbed near universally as "Barbie" or Barbie 1 as later iterations of it developed.

I'd thought of many when I first thought of this post and of course can't think of them now! So, anyone with any other ones?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

“Dogging” was the practice (at least in Bristol) of hanging back and letting the bus in front do all the passenger work. Not that I ever indulged... well, unless it was a Hengrove bus in front, in which case...

“Jazzer” was the local term for doing a route that was normally covered by another depot, usually only occurred on split turns.

Markk1990

So I mean at an industry or spotter level. Not oh my grandad used to call Citaros "Zippos" because they always catch fire I mean unofficial terms that you could use and the vast majority would know what you meant.

For example, the original First Group corporate livery circa 1998 dubbed near universally as "Barbie" or Barbie 1 as later iterations of it developed.

I'd thought of many when I first thought of this post and of course can't think of them now! So, anyone with any other ones?
I’m curious as to whether the livery names are ever ‘official’.

Was Barbie/Olympia/Urban called it by First? And same for Beachball. On that note what is the name of the new Stagecoach livery?

L401CJF

Established Member
“Dogging” was the practice (at least in Bristol) of hanging back and letting the bus in front do all the passenger work. Not that I ever indulged... well, unless it was a Hengrove bus in front, in which case...
We call it "swinging" on Merseyside

Chris Thomas

In North Devon Bristol SULs were known as "Conkerboxes". I believe the name originated from the engine sound.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
We call it "swinging" on Merseyside
Believe it's "scratching" in London.

In North Devon Bristol SULs were known as "Conkerboxes". I believe the name originated from the engine sound.
United Auto had a lot of Bristol LHs that were known as "Stottie Boxes" north of the Tyne (for the uninitiated, a Stottie is the local term for a bread roll so basically being compared to a lunch/bait box). However, further south, they were known as Bouncing Billies. Both terms on account of the spirited ride they provided.

DunsBus

Established Member
Lowland's Nationals and Dominators were nicknamed "Nasties" and "Detonators" respectively by some drivers.

And when Lothian's low-floor Harlequin livery first appeared in 1999, some enthusiasts called it "pizza puke".

Lowland's Nationals and Dominators were nicknamed "Nasties" and "Detonators" respectively by some drivers.

And when Lothian's low-floor Harlequin livery first appeared in 1999, some enthusiasts called it "pizza puke".
That has reminded me of the nickname for the Lawrence Hill, Bristo,l Roe-bodied Gardner-engined Olympians. In the canteen they were known as “Limpalongs”.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think we're missing the obvious one of breadvan for any of the mid '80's bodies on van chassis as opposed to minibuses converted from panel vans.
In more modern times the term is more associated with Mercedes powered Minibuses such as the Vario and Sprinter. Although some also refer Solos as Breadvans to me the name is more associated with high floor minibuses. Some also call the Stagecoach Sprinters "Ice Cream Vans".

On a separate point, although i won't take entire credit for these some Stagecoach Bluebird vehicles do have nicknames...
16948 - "Chuggy" (Self explanatory really, linked is a infamous video of said vehicle....
)
19373 - "The Raft" (Best known for near daily breakdowns, stinking of fumes and having multiple thermal incidents yet surviving each time)
47585 - "The Little Bus That Could" (A short Non-standard 7.8M Optare Solo that is almost constantly allocated to routes that are meant to use far larger buses)
Additionally Enviro350Hs are often called "Green Vibrators"

In terms of less specific nicknames i've heard MAN engine buses referred to as "Grenades" and Volvo B9TLs as "Coffee Grinders". One i'll take credit for is MAN being an acronym for "Mechanic Always Needed"... :lol:

PG

Established Member
Aberdeen drivers used to refer to the pre 1977 Atlanteans as Dinosaurs because unlike later deliveries they didn't have a separate cab heater - "keep yer coat on you've got a dinosaur" would be the changeover banter.

On a related note - I was on a Culter-Dyce run one bleak mid-winter Sunday evening with one of the first batch of Olympians 122-131 IIRC. I flung the larger cab window open to reverse at Culter and couldn't get the flipping thing shut again!! My coat was definitely on for the return trip...

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Aberdeen drivers used to refer to the pre 1977 Atlanteans as Dinosaurs because unlike later deliveries they didn't have a separate cab heater - "keep yer coat on you've got a dinosaur" would be the changeover banter.

On a related note - I was on a Culter-Dyce run one bleak mid-winter Sunday evening with one of the first batch of Olympians 122-131 IIRC. I flung the larger cab window open to reverse at Culter and couldn't get the flipping thing shut again!! My coat was definitely on for the return trip...
I hadn't heard that one before, to add to that the Wright Cityranger bodied Mercedes O405s (L-KSA batch) were often known as "Shoeboxes" due to their very boxy design and lack of opening windows.

I think if it was the first batch of Olympians then it would've likely been 101-110 (A-FSA). 122-131 were the final batch of Olympians (E-DRS) having the facelifted front end, longer wheelbase and far superior Cummins/ZF drivetrain.

Kahuna47

“Dogging” was the practice (at least in Bristol) of hanging back and letting the bus in front do all the passenger work.
A procedure known as 'Pushing' in Manchester

On that note what is the name of the new Stagecoach livery?
We know it as Marge Simpsons Knickers, particularly from the back... you'll never unsee it now!

The only two I can think of are, slightly derogatory ones!

Streetsh*te - A Wright Streetlite, for obvious reasons!
A Sh*tter - service 163 Manchester to Bury. Goes around the world and through some dubious areas. Combined with bog all time do get round, it was christened with that delightful moniker!
A silent sh*tter - 162 Manchester to Norden peak only service. Similar to above, but everyone gets off at Heywood, leaving you with sweet fresh air for the rest of the trip!

K

Last edited:
In Newcastle, as stated, LHs were stotties, a derogatory term, hard work in local service due to the manual box. Following another bus = hanging the dog, overtime = blob, someone who did a lot of overtime = blob king. Newcastle drivers gave a " thumbs down" sign to indicate a checky, Hexham drivers did a folded hand sign to indicate the same.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
In Newcastle, as stated, LHs were stotties, a derogatory term, hard work in local service due to the manual box. Following another bus = hanging the dog, overtime = blob, someone who did a lot of overtime = blob king. Newcastle drivers gave a " thumbs down" sign to indicate a checky, Hexham drivers did a folded hand sign to indicate the same.
A checky? Known as Spies south of the Tyne.

Also, those doing overtime were “grabbing”

Strathclyder

Established Member
Strathclyde's later Ailsas delivered from 1981 onwards gained the nickname Alphas, derived from the A type-code used for them. Not sure if the nickname was ever applied to the examples delivered in the mid/late 70s (the AVs) during the GGPTE era.

More broadly, Volvo B7Ls gained the Toilet Box nickname due to the unusual layout of the cooling system into the passenger cabin that made them look like they were carting a toilet cubicle about. I think the nickname mainly applied to the single-deck saloons and not the small number of double-deck B7Ls built (am mainly thinking of the First Glasgow tri-axle Nordics here as I'm most familar with those, I know there are/were others), but am willing to be corrected on that last point.

The bolded nickname was also used for ex-London Northern Counties Dominators parachuted into the First Glasgow fleet in the early 2000s during the Overground era (as such, most were branded for the 41 between Drumchapel & Easterhouse). Being run into the ground before arriving and as such being regarded as inferior when compared to the native Volvo B10M Citybuses (the former AHs) no doubt led to them gaining that unenviable nickname. One wonders if it was used to refer to Dominators operating outwith Scotland.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Olympians seem to be well known amongst drivers in the south west as Limp-alongs and Solos as So-slows

PG

Established Member
Olympians seem to be well known amongst drivers in the south west as Limp-alongs and Solos as So-slows
I've heard them referred as limp-alongs too, though not to the later Volvo produced models. I remember the first time I got my hands on one, went like the proverbial off a shovel when compared to most earlier Leyland ones!

6Gman

Established Member
Many of you will know that Crosville had a long distance limited stop service branded the Cymru Coastliner.

Lightly used services were thereafter dubbed The Ghostliner.

Classic example was the Northwich - Winsford - Leighton Hospital - Crewe evening service introduced for the opening of the hospital. Unfortunately the opening was delayed for several months and so the bus took non-existent visitors to visit non-existent patients at a yet to open hospital!

trebor79

Established Member
I was at uni in Bristol in late 90s and still clearly remember the single deck buses (two piece windscreen sloped on the drivers side) that went like **** off a stick. Drivers always seemed to just floor them and they really accelerated well. Some kind of Leyland I think?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I was at uni in Bristol in late 90s and still clearly remember the single deck buses (two piece windscreen sloped on the drivers side) that went like **** off a stick. Drivers always seemed to just floor them and they really accelerated well. Some kind of Leyland I think?
That sounds like Leyland Lynxes - credit to photographer

Simon75

On Moderation
I think we're missing the obvious one of breadvan for any of the mid '80's bodies on van chassis as opposed to minibuses converted from panel vans.
Arriva North West, often the Mellor Strata are called Bread vans too

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I recall being in conversation (probably mid- to late-eighties) with an Aberdeen-based Northern driver who referred to city routes as "The Track". I've since read that this specifically referred to the route from Culter to the north of the city.

At this point in time, the Aberdeen "Citybus" operation was in full swing, competing with Grampian.

As far as vehicles are concerned, I don't ever recall many nicknames being given, but NCT3 (VSS3X - one of the Duple Goldliner Tigers) was frequently referred to as the gutless wonder on account of its less than sparkling performance.

DunsBus

Established Member
As far as vehicles are concerned, I don't ever recall many nicknames being given, but NCT3 (VSS3X - one of the Duple Goldliner Tigers) was frequently referred to as the gutless wonder on account of its less than sparkling performance.
SCK869/UTU23V, the pre-production Tiger which saw service with Strathclyde Buses' GCT operation and later with Lowland, was known as Wandering Wullie by Lowland's drivers as its steering had a mind of its own. One, now-deceased, Lowland driver memorably described its handling as being akin to that of "a drunken pig".

Status
Not open for further replies.