• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Odd or Bizarre moments in the rail industry

WesternLancer

Established Member
I heard that when the Southern was naming the Schools Class express 4-4-0s , they approached a number of public schools and other famous schools for permission to use their names. One school refused because they thought it would be demeaning, so as a result they never joined the ranks of Eton, Harrow, Winchester etc. Bad decision.
St Trinians? :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I heard that when the Southern was naming the Schools Class express 4-4-0s , they approached a number of public schools and other famous schools for permission to use their names. One school refused because they thought it would be demeaning, so as a result they never joined the ranks of Eton, Harrow, Winchester etc. Bad decision.

It was 923, which was originally named Uppingham, but was soon renamed Bradfield. I think that D.L.Bradley, who had access to much original documentation, wrote that the reason was that the headmaster regarded it as too much like advertising.

Rescars

St Trinians? :lol:
Indeed. It was 928. The headmaster of Uppingham apparently considered such a thing to be most improper. The governors of Stowe saw things differently!

Indeed. It was 928. The headmaster of Uppingham apparently considered such a thing to be most improper. The governors of Stowe saw things differently!
Ooops! I defer to Gloster on this renaming. At least we agree about Upppingham! The Southern presented each of the named schools with a magnificent photo of "their" loco. Careful inspection of these photos suggest that at least some of these are of "Dover" but with the original name and number masked and painted over with appropriate amendments.

Last edited:

Established Member
London Transport have some interesting contributions here. The 1987 tube stock for the Jubilee Line with its single doors was never likely to be suitable. I don't have precise dimensions, but they certainly look to be narrower than the single doors on the District Line's D stock. Some of the 1987 Mark 2 trains spent more time rotting "in store" than they did in service.

The uncompleted parts of the Northern Line extensions from Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace, from Mill Hill East to Edgware, and from Edgware to Bushey Heath. Work stopped early in the Second World War. Afterwards, Green belt policies meant that the additional housing that would have produced passengers for the Bushey Heath extension could not be built. The UK's serious financial difficulties led to the cancellation of the other schemes. But large amounts of money (for the times) had been spent that in the end was wasted.

The electrification of the Central Line from Epping to Ongar in 1957. It probably made sense (a) to complete the plans formulated before WW2 and thus replace a push-pull steam shuttle, and (b) to do it using materials salvaged from the Finsbury Park to Highgate section, but the long-term financial viability of the line was nil.

The section of Jubilee Line from Green Park to Charing Cross, and the tunnels beyond Charing Cross nearly to Aldwych, also deserve a mention, but it wasn't LT's decision to change the plans and extend the Jubilee Line on a different alignment.

PG

Established Member
The Southern presented each of the named schools with a magnificent photo of "their" loco. Careful inspection of these photos suggest that at least some of these are of "Dover" but with the original name and number masked and painted over with appropriate amendments.
Younger readers take note - Photoshop isn't the only way to deceive :lol:

Springs Branch

Established Member
During all the excitement in the 1990s around construction & opening of 'Le Chunnel', the prospect of Manchester-bound North-of-London Eurostars and Nightstar trains getting 'belled on' from 'box to 'box through the Absolute Block section around Stockport (accompanied by the sound of levers crashing across signal frames).

Allegedly at the time the only location in Europe where TGV-type rolling stock would routinely come under such old-school signalling procedures.

Never happened, of course, but we may well get a second chance to see this once the shiny new HS2 trains start to run into Piccadilly on the 'classic' lines from the West Midlands. Will there be a special bell code authorised to identify the HS2 trains?

MadMac

During all the excitement in the 1990s around construction & opening of 'Le Chunnel', the prospect of Manchester-bound North-of-London Eurostars and Nightstar trains getting 'belled on' from 'box to 'box through the Absolute Block section around Stockport (accompanied by the sound of levers crashing across signal frames).

Allegedly at the time the only location in Europe where TGV-type rolling stock would routinely come under such old-school signalling procedures.

Never happened, of course, but we may well get a second chance to see this once the shiny new HS2 trains start to run into Piccadilly on the 'classic' lines from the West Midlands. Will there be a special bell code authorised to identify the HS2 trains?
A secure compound was built at Polmadie, plus various signal/track circuit alterations carried out for the “North of London” Eurostars. Not one ran.

Lost property

I've always thought it amusing / bemusing to learn of signals set to red, and still functioning, long after track has been lifted or the line becomes disused.

Not sure how something so glaringly obvious (slight pun intended) could be missed really.

4COR

I've always thought it amusing / bemusing to learn of signals set to red, and still functioning, long after track has been lifted or the line becomes disused.

Not sure how something so glaringly obvious (slight pun intended) could be missed really.
Because, in most cases, it's cheaper/easier to leave the signals and relevant interlocking/aspect proving in place around relevant junctions, rather than having to redo everything. Lots of examples in other threads.

Lucan

Established Member

Because, in most cases, it's cheaper/easier to leave the signals and relevant interlocking/aspect proving in place around relevant junctions
On Kings Weston Lane in Avonmouth I seem to recall crossing gates on an industrial branch still having lit red lights glowing on them long after it was disused. Someone could have been sent to switch them off, or at least taken the bulbs out to save electricity if no-one could find the switch.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Here's an odd moment; whenever the positively bizarre decision was made by SWR to replace the varying SWT liveries with the most soul-crushing livery that could possibly be conceived by human brain. Nothing better than seeing a relentless wall of grey trains of various shades on your way to work on a dull Monday morning.

dk1

Veteran Member
When (hopefully) Avanti loses its tender, the forum should rent a marquee and hold a large party somewhere along the WCML.

Avanti have over 2.5 years left to run. Be careful what you wish for though as we could end up with something even worse.

LUYMun

Here's an odd moment; whenever the positively bizarre decision was made by SWR to replace the varying SWT liveries with the most soul-crushing livery that could possibly be conceived by human brain. Nothing better than seeing a relentless wall of grey trains of various shades on your way to work on a dull Monday morning.
I never thought I’d see the day all the SWR Desiro/Sprinter stock would be painted grey. Even five years ago the paint process seemed achingly slow, still leaving many coaches in their original SWT colours.

gg1

Established Member
Another Nightstar related one is the choice of traction when off the wires. A pair of 30+ years old ex-freight locos and a generator van converted from redundant sleeper stock seem an odd choice for what would have been one of the highest profile services on the network.

Western 52

Another Nightstar related one is the choice of traction when off the wires. A pair of 30+ years old ex-freight locos and a generator van converted from redundant sleeper stock seem an odd choice for what would have been one of the highest profile services on the network.
True, but a pair of 37s would have been very reliable.

popeter45

i suspect the thinking was of GWML electrification sooner than what ended up happening so why buy new loco's if they will be redundent at some point?

Last edited:
Building a single track route in the 21st century without passive provision for possible dualling in the future.

I'm referring of course to the Borders Railway.
My understanding is that provision for dualling was originally designed in, then deliberately removed by building narrower bridges/arches in order to reduce costs

eldomtom2

On Moderation
It hurts to read
There are worse cases, especially worldwide. Just last year provision for future electrification was "value engineered" out of plans to build a tunnel to divert a section of the busy LA-San Diego line away from the crumbling coast.

Jimini

Established Member
There are worse cases, especially worldwide. Just last year provision for future electrification was "value engineered" out of plans to build a tunnel to divert a section of the busy LA-San Diego line away from the crumbling coast.

Dawlish-esque!

gg1

Established Member
My understanding is that provision for dualling was originally designed in, then deliberately removed by building narrower bridges/arches in order to reduce costs

Out of interest does anyone know roughly how much that saved as a proportion of the total project cost?

Statto

Established Member
Merseyrail Central would perhaps be a better defined option than Liverpool Central.

I completely disagree with that, Merseyrail Central would create confusion, Liverpool Central is perfect as it is, although could argue could be called Liverpool Central Low Level.