• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia : Open top buses that have appeared on non tourist services

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrwey

Not sure if this counts as non-tourist, but Transpora open top W501 RBB (branded for the Bournemouth Coaster) has been out operating the Weymouth Park and Ride service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Beestons open topper is out again this summer on the 91, and has had some work done to it since last summer with new body panels and had centre doors removed.

scatterkeir

back in the 80s Greater Manchester Transport used to occasionally send an open-topper out in normal service if it was a really nice day.

Gloster

Established Member
Southern Vectis appear to have been using one or two of them in connection with the Ryde Pride parade.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Stagecoach Lake District open toppers intended for the 599 certainly made a few appearances on the 555 earlier this year just prior to delivery of the new fleet. I think they covered the whole route.
That would've been a bit of a draught

Roger1973

Some years ago, I had a job in the county council transport department (the sort that did everything including schools transport) in a county that had some seaside towns.

One day, I was aware that one of my colleagues was clearly having a difficult phone call, and eventually when the person on the other end of the phone ran out of steam, we heard him say "well, actually, there's nothing in our contract conditions that says a bus on a school contract must have a roof."

Clearly bus operator had a minor vehicle crisis, it must have been mid-season not far either side of the school holidays, so the open top buses were out of store and licensed for the summer. We did have words and ask them not to do it again, though...

Beemax

Reading's open top Trident is on the mainstream route 17 today -- in October

stait.john

First in Weymouth 4 service is a good bet around this time of year, lovely run down Preston way.

DunsBus

Established Member
More recently it's been East Coast Buses 124 that's gotten them - the Longniddry to North Berwick section being particularly deserving of the treatment on a nice summer's day - although having less spare OTs these days might restrict that now.
And back in the LRT era it used its two open-top Atlanteans, 583 and 900, in normal service, usually on part-route workings of the 26 and on the Tourist Shuttle service, 99.

It was the latter which drew Guide Friday's attention and prompted its expansion into Edinburgh, having gone on record as saying "Lothian simply ran an open-top bus up and down the Royal Mile when the sun shone."

extendedpaul

That would've been a bit of a draught
I travelled on the top deck of the early evening open topper from Tenby to Haverfordwest in August. It's a public service but primarily a return to depot trip at the end of the day's schedule. I was the only passenger and it was a non stop journey.

I thought it would be exciting to travel at speed up top but even on a warm summer evening with only light wind the "draught" was uncomfortable at 50-60 mph along the A40. I was determined not to go downstairs but it wasn't the fun ride I'd expected. Off my bucket list anyway.

andrewbowden

back in the 80s Greater Manchester Transport used to occasionally send an open-topper out in normal service if it was a really nice day.
They'd often put one on a the route that went past my high school. And always managed to time it so that it was almost impossible for any of the kids from the school to get - you'd see it zooming down the road as you ran out of the school gates seconds after the bell had rung.

farwest

Open top bus has been on the U3 from Falmouth to Tremough university this week.

d9016

Diamond Bus North West had an open top Trident (40100) that ran route 470 which was technically a normal passenger service as DBNW and System one tickets were accepted. The route also appeared on TFGM timetables and stopped at all stops on route. Prior to this service operating 40100 had run on other bus services run from Weston St depot. Unfortunately after spending the winter on only taxi duties, it was transferred elsewhere and I am told it just ran for a few more days then was sent for scrap. It seems to be a strange thing that happens within Rotala as there apparently was a Scania CN230UB that went from Preston to Bolton, ran my local services for one day (I missed it) and then went for scrap. Why transfer it for one day if it is going for scrap? There have also been Citaros that supposedly moved from Preston to Bolton (noticeably different IDs) that don't appear to have ever ran in Bolton and I have no idea where they went (back to Preston?). I do miss the 470 even if it was just for the one summer.

busken

Reading's open top Trident is on the mainstream route 17 today -- in October
Out again a couple of days ago, did at least one trip after dark, which would have been interesting. Sadly they don't seem to announce it's being used in advance, so its just pot luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.