• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Outward & Return Journeys The Same Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECML180

So my question is...are there any routes in the UK where you could reasonably travel between two stations where in both directions you would pass (at least) 2 other stations in the same order?

For example:
. A
. BC
. D

You may be able to go A>D on the route ABCD, returning DBCA.
I can't think of any examples but I know some services do have strange variations and routes, especially for route retention purposes that make it plausible!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
Scotscalder*-Wick-Scotscalder:

Scotscalder - Georgemas Junction - Thurso - Georgemas Junction - Wick - Georgemas Junction - Thurso - Georgemas Junction - Scotscalder.

Repeated sections in bold.

It can be interpreted as either:

1) Two passes through Georgemas Junction - Thurso - Georgemas Junction; or

2) Two passes through Georgemas Junction - Thurso AND two passes through Thurso - Georgemas Junction.

Depending on whether or not you allow the same station to appear twice in the repeated section.

*Or any preceding station on the Far North Line.

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
I'm wondering if a journey involving the Liverpool City Loop could produce this?

EG the East Coast Journey planner will produce the following schedule for me:

Brunswick to Liverpool James Street:
Brunswick 14:19
via Liverpool Central
Moorfields 14:25

CHANGE
Moorfields 14:36
via Liverpool Lime Street
via Liverpool Central
James St Liverpool 14:42

Liverpool James Street to Brunswick:
James St Liverpool 18:24
via Moorfields
via Liverpool Lime Street
via Liverpool Central 18:30

CHANGE
Liverpool Central 18:44
Brunswick 18:47
Train continues to Hunts Cross

This repeats Moorfields, Lime Street and Central in same order, both driections.

kieron

Established Member
There are a some like Runcorn-Warrington (and beyond) where you may pass stations in both directions during the journey.

Refurbishment works in Birkenhead mean that some passengers between (for instance) Chester and New Brighton are advised to travel on trains which call at (in order) James Street, Moorfields, Lime Street, Liverpool Central and James Street in either direction.

I'm sure disabled passengers see that sort of thing in quite a few places.

And there are some where valid routes cross over somewhere. Someone going from Liverpool to Stalybridge could go between Warrington and Earlestown in either direction, although I'm not sure why you'd want to.

thenorthern

Established Member
Manchester to Piccadilly to Hadfield/Glossop is one I think where it goes Dinting-Glossop-Hadfield-Dinting.

I think there is a through service that goes Bare Lane-Morecambe-Bare Lane but I am not sure which one.

ert47

If it counts, travelling from London towards Hastings (via Haywards Heath), the train has to make a reversal at Eastbourne, stopping at Hampton Park twice - effectively ABCBD and DBCBA on the way back.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
If it counts, travelling between Brighton and Hastings/Ashford Int, the train has to make a reversal at Eastbourne, stopping at Hampton Park twice - effectively ABCBD and DBCBA on the way back.

Whenever I've been on the Brighton - Ashford service it has only called at Hampton Park the once, speeding though the other pass

ert47

Whenever I've been on the Brighton - Ashford service it has only called at Hampton Park the once, speeding though the other pass

eep! Fixed it, services from London - through Croydon do it. 1F04 0747 Victoria- Hastings/Littlehampton.

IanD

Established Member

The OP didn't specify that the service had to stop, just pass through. But did specify at least 2 stations.

bangor-toad

Hi there,
I'll contribute this:

Beeston - East Midlands Parkway.
(Ignore the direct services, the ticket is valid for interchange at Derby)

So the outward routing is:
OUT: Beeston - Long Eaton - Spondon - Derby - Spondon - Long Eaton - East Midlands Parkway

BACK: East Midlands Parkway - Long Eaton - Spondon - Derby - Spondon - Long Eaton - Beeston

I think that fulfils the challenge!
Cheers.
Mr Toad

ECML180

I'm afraid I'm going to jump up and burst a few bubbles! I don't think reversing services counts, does seem to cheat a bit. With regards to the Liverpool services I think that must do it, that was the sort of thing I was envisaging in the first place when I asked! Well found folks :)

marks87

Established Member
I'm afraid I'm going to jump up and burst a few bubbles! I don't think reversing services counts, does seem to cheat a bit.
In what way? The reversing services that have been posted satisfy the criteria you requested.

ECML180

Although they fit the criteria I don't feel like they fit the spirit of the idea.

Although looking back they actually do if you are travelling Scotscalder to Wick, my mistake I read it wrong the first time! (Combination of living at uni and working earlier! Whoops!)

Status
Not open for further replies.