• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Quietest Signal Box Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
How about Noblethorpe crossing on the east coast main line open 24/7 including Christmas day plenty of trains but they can go all week and never open the gate.
Was that not where the legend from the old NR internal signaller forums ‘Herman’ worked? He certainly had a lot of time on his hands.

lammergeier

Plenty of weekend diversions due to HS2 work around Washwood Heath, should be some more over Xmas and all through Feb half term. There is more freight traffic over the route though.
Thanks. The amble along the cross city is one of our more enjoyable diversions so it'll be nice to have some more trips that way.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
What about Grain Crossing?

Last time I visited, it wasn't boarded up....
I didn't think that Grain Crossing was a signalbox. (There was an entirely separate signalbox at Grain when it was a proper passenger station.)

Going back 40 years the resident Chargeman/Shunter worked the crossing 'box' as a level crossing frame when a train was present. It was quite an unusual set-up with things like the floodgates locked with the key token (obviously!).

Gloster

Established Member
Looking at the Sectional Appendix, it appears that Grain is a Crossing Box, although it may be being used by the Person-in-Charge at Grain, who may operate the the gates in addition to working the token instrument.

stephen rp

In my area, Rufford and Rainford are probably the most quiet in the Liverpool/Manchester region unless there's a signal box along the Fiddler's Ferry/UniLever line in Warrington.
Re the latter, a busy day yesterday. 3 light engines, it's usually 2 or even 1 or none, from Warrington depot for trains to/from Ditton / Halewood. More signallers than trains (Arpley Jn, Crosfields Crossing, Littons Mill, Monks Crossing, Fiddlers Ferry - some only for accommodation crossings). Be a lot busier if NPR comes through.

Gathursty

Established Member
Re the latter, a busy day yesterday. 3 light engines, it's usually 2 or even 1 or none, from Warrington depot for trains to/from Ditton / Halewood. More signallers than trains (Arpley Jn, Crosfields Crossing, Littons Mill, Monks Crossing, Fiddlers Ferry - some only for accommodation crossings). Be a lot busier if NPR comes through.
Oh yeah! I forgot I walked past Crosfields Crossing when I discovered there is a public footpath through the Unilever site to the Transporter Bridge. A very interesting and recommended short walk from the town centre.

stephen rp

Oh yeah! I forgot I walked past Crosfields Crossing when I discovered there is a public footpath through the Unilever site to the Transporter Bridge. A very interesting and recommended short walk from the town centre.
Watch out for the giant hogweed by the banks of the Mersey near the Transporter Bridge.

Watch out for the giant hogweed by the banks of the Mersey near the Transporter Bridge.
Guys thanks for posting that you can walk down there. Do you know if they have started clearing the Unilever site yet? I don't live local!

stephen rp

Nothing visible. From Bank Quay take the footbridge south of the entrance over the low level line, head for the RSPCA, down to the Mersey, past the transporter bridge to the LL line, follow the green route, and either try the exit through the works over Crosfields Crossing or carry on to Littons Mill crossing and out at Lidl.

NB despite some signs it's a permissive path not a public footpath.

Last edited:
Nothing visible. From Bank Quay take the footbridge south of the entrance over the low level line, head for the RSPCA, down to the Mersey, past the transporter bridge to the LL line, follow the green route, and either try the exit through the works over Crosfields Crossing or carry on to Littons Mill crossing and out at Lidl.

NB despite some signs it's a permissive path not a public footpath.
Thank you kindly.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Was that not where the legend from the old NR internal signaller forums ‘Herman’ worked? He certainly had a lot of time on his hands.
Herman!! I think it was yes

For the uninitiated the sadly missed NR internal forums had more weaponry in one place than most of the world’s armed forces could even dream of possessing.

To answer the thread’s question School Road Crossing in Hythe has no booked trains but is still open (not 24 hours though) .

Conversely (although it’s probably fairly out of whack at the moment) I wonder where the busiest shift in terms of trains is?

Last edited:

JustPassingBy

I would nominate one of the signal boxes on the Leicester - Burton line. Bardon Hill often has a couple of trains a day but Coalville Mantle Lane often has 0 or only 1, e.g. this was the only train on 17th Sep:

If the box is only opened for one train, how much does the signaller get paid. Does commuting distance affect that?

As an aside - are the boxes on this line scheduled for closure?

Dai Corner

Established Member
I would nominate one of the signal boxes on the Leicester - Burton line. Bardon Hill often has a couple of trains a day but Coalville Mantle Lane often has 0 or only 1, e.g. this was the only train on 17th Sep:

If the box is only opened for one train, how much does the signaller get paid. Does commuting distance affect that?

I'd imagine a Relief signaller would sent to the box when required as part of his/her normal duties covering absences, meal breaks etc?

Highlandspring

Established Member

The minimum payment for a signaller is six hours but normally for something like that you'd roster someone out for a full shift.

Tomnick

Established Member

Mantle Lane's open for two full shifts each day, normally covered by resident signallers. Curiously, the shift times meant that the night shift and the day shift wouldn't usually see each other! The night shift gets involved with locos running round after dragging their loaded trains out of Bardon Hill (the box there is open continuously and also deals with trains to/from Stud Farm).

Moira West SB is (or was) open as required, IIRC - a relief signaller being sent there would be getting paid for an eight hour day as part of their base salary regardless, it's only if it was rest day work that they might get the minimum six hours if it wasn't a full shift.

Neo9320

RE closure, I was told that they’ll be moved to derby ROC roughly the same time the derby-Stoke line moves in….so could be a while yet lol

Western 52

Has anyone mentioned Bishton Crossing yet? This is just a crossing box which works gates only to allow road vehicles too high for the underpass to cross. Can't be much to do for staff there, although the line is busy.

Gloster

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned Bishton Crossing yet? This is just a crossing box which works gates only to allow road vehicles too high for the underpass to cross. Can't be much to do for staff there, although the line is busy.
Physically there may not be much to do, but all the time you have to keep half an eye on train movements so as to be ready in case you have to open the gates. Any old-style signalman will be casting an eye over every passing train to be sure that all is in order.

Novern Uproar

The list is not quite up to date. Near where I live in East Yorkshire, Saltmarshe signalbox was demolished as part of the Ferriby - Gilberdyke resignalling scheme and Green Oak LC was automated. Heck Ings crossing has I believe been shut completely. Goole Town box, Selby Swing Bridge and Barlby LC are continuously manned. As are Beverley, Driffield and Bridlington on the Hull - Scarborough line.

I would have suggested the most beautiful Kingswinford for a quiet shift....the container that has bricks rain off it on regular occasions, trespassers with the attitude of its our walk route not the train, and a general ambience of well....solitude!

The Planner

Veteran Member
I would have suggested the most beautiful Kingswinford for a quiet shift....the container that has bricks rain off it on regular occasions, trespassers with the attitude of its our walk route not the train, and a general ambience of well....solitude!
Certainly would be quiet since it went in 2012!

Status
Not open for further replies.