• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Quietest stretch of railway with more than 2 tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welly

Not sure how long a stretch is required. certainly nowhere near the "Magistrale", but the section in Lincoln between West Holmes junction and the bridge over the River Witham has four tracks for about half a mile, and sees only three or four passenger trains an hour each way - one each to Nottingham, Sheffield, Kings Cross (every other hour, with some Newark Northgate shuttles in the gaps) and a handful to Doncaster
Two of the tracks are actually loops rather than running lines. They are needed to berth freight trains and ECS workings to allow these passenger trains to pass unimpeded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Recessio

The stretch of MML between Bedford and Kettering is four-tracked, yet it only sees six trains per hour in regular service, so essentially 1.5 trains for every track (not including freight). Is this the quietest stretch of railway with more than two tracks in the UK?
Not sure what it's like now that it's four-tracked as I moved away a few years ago, but I used to live in Wellingborough and often thought to myself the 3rd platform/line was pretty pointless. It was a long enough wait for a train to arrive in Platform 1/2, I think I saw the line through platform 3 used (even for freight/fasts) less than ten times in ten years!

alistairlees

Established Member
East of Middlesbrough there are some four track sections. Two passenger trains per hour each way, plus a handful of freight.

louis97

Established Member
Two of the tracks are actually loops rather than running lines. They are needed to berth freight trains and ECS workings to allow these passenger trains to pass unimpeded.
By name they're actually the slow lines, Down and Up Gainsborough Slow, the middle lines are the Down and Up Gainsborough Fast. Passenger trains regularly use them to allow arrivals/departures in quick succession.

Taunton

Established Member
London Underground Piccadilly line Acton Town to Northfields.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
London Underground Piccadilly line Acton Town to Northfields.
A busy stretch of railway, although not by London Underground standards; a total non-contender for "the quietest stretch of railway with more than 2 tracks."

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not sure it's been mentioned already, but the Erewash Valley Lime between Toton and Codnor Park Jn isn't particularly stretched capacity-wise.

SE%Traveller

Except that has 8 passenger trains per hour in each direction rather than 6. Not sure whether freight on the MML section described above trumps this though.
Off Peak it supposed to have 8 tph but actually only has 6 at the moment with the suspension of the Orpington to Kentish Town Service. From May next year it should hit 10 in the off peak with the addition of the all day Maidstone East Service to Blackfriars (and assuming Orpington to Kentish Town is re instated by then

Status
Not open for further replies.