• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - regular stations furthest from FL/Nat League and Scots league) grounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupwotcoup

Forest Green Rovers must be up there...Stroud is the nearest methinks about four miles distant?

Colchester's ground is a hike too, but not as far.

Both Yeovil stations are a longish trek away from the ground - was there
once a station in the town centre as it seems incongruous to have
to stops on different lines such a distance from town?

Sixfields, Northampton doesn't afford a quick getaway for away fans, as
neither does Rochdale nor Oxford United too...

Just a few to start with......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FenMan

Established Member
National League North:

Brackley Town (10 miles from Banbury)
Spennymoor Town (6 miles from Durham)
Blyth Spartans (5 miles from Cramlington)
Leamington (3 miles from Leamington Spa)
Salford City (3 miles from Manchester Victoria)

Last edited:

FenMan

Established Member
National League South:

Oxford City (3 miles from Oxford Parkway, 4 miles from Oxford)
Concord Rangers (3 miles from Benfleet)
Hemel Hempstead Town (3 miles from Hemel Hempstead or Apsley)*
Whitehawk (3 miles from Brighton)

*If travelling from London, a convenient route to the ground by public transport is train to St Albans City (6 miles away) then the Arriva 301 bus to Vauxhall Road.

Harbouring

I remember going to a preseason friendly at Weymouth which was miles away from anywhere. Out in the sticks near an industrial estate.

AndyHudds

Carlisle is a bit of a walk to Brunton Park from the Station.???

Yes, but not insurmountable and it's straight along Warwick Road.

Elland Road is a right trek, through the Holbeck badlands, it's quite a lonely walk too.

The Madesjski is a right trek too, not at all walkable and Cheltenham Town is hike. Accrington's ground is uphill from the station.

As you can tell, I've done a few.

Last edited:

DuncanS

Peterhead (Aberdeen)
Forfar (Dundee)
East Fife (Markinch)
Brechin (Montrose)

- all a good distance from the local train station!

roversfan2001

Established Member
Burnley's (Turd Turf Moor) is quite a trek from either Manchester Road or Central stations.

Deepdale in Preston is also quite far from Preston station.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Peterhead (Aberdeen)
Forfar (Dundee)
East Fife (Markinch)
Brechin (Montrose)

- all a good distance from the local train station!

Ironically, I believe it is Forfar Athletic's (or Brechin City's) ground Station Park that got its name from an adjacent railway line that passed by.

I know that the former Caledonian Railway route from Perth to Kinnaber Junction near Laurencekirk passed through both Forfar and Brechin.

St Andrew's (the home of the dirty Bluenoses) I believe has a stand called the Railway End, albeit there is no station along that section of the Camp Hill route of the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway, which became part of the Midland Railway.

Liam

Established Member
Falkirk, St Johnstone, Dundee and Dundee United are either a long walk or a bus/taxi from the station. There used to be a dedicated bus from Falkirk to the stadium, but First canned a couple of years ago.

Gemz91

Yes, but not insurmountable and it's straight along Warwick Road.

Elland Road is a right trek, through the Holbeck badlands, it's quite a lonely walk too.

The Madesjski is a right trek too, not at all walkable and Cheltenham Town is hike. Accrington's ground is uphill from the station.

As you can tell, I've done a few.

Elland Road is closer to Cottingley station then Leeds. Always thought its quite an easy walk back to Leeds station after games though.

Yeovil has got to be up with the worse I've done. Was told it would be a three hour wait after the game for a taxi too which didn't help.

Hillsborough is another that's quite a trek from Sheffield station (unless your including tram stops).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.