• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Repatriated buses in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Another idea for a thread I've had knocking about in my head for a while...

The thread title may admittedly be a tad confusing (was struggling to come up with one that wasn't too vague/confusing; perhaps a mod/admin can make a change there if needed), but basically what I'm getting at is: buses that were either in part or wholly built in the UK for service in other parts of the world - am thinking of Ireland & Hong Kong primarily here, but I know there are many more examples - that at some point found their way back here, either for further service or for preservation.

The numerous ex-Dublin Bus Leyland/Volvo Olympians & Volvo B7TLs that have filtered through over the years once finished in Dublin and the ex-Citybus of Hong Kong Leyland Olympians that Stagecoach brought back initially for use on Megabus work in the early 2000s (after the latter sold it's stake in the former) are the most notable examples of this, but there are many others I can think of off the top of my head; don't wanna mention them all in the opening post though lol

I'll turn the thread over to the rest of you here; should make for a interesting thread. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hst43102

One that comes to mind is buses from Malta. I've seen some Eclipses and Solos that were originally from Malta.
The other one that I thought of is L888SBS - a Volvo Super Olympian delivered to SBS in Singapore, and now preserved in the UK.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The other one that I thought of is L888SBS - a Volvo Super Olympian delivered to SBS in Singapore, and now preserved in the UK.
I recoginze the reg plate, but 888 is in fact the very last Leyland Olympian and of course the last/youngest bus to carry the Leyland badge (new March 1994).

That said, there is a ex-SBS Volgren-bodied Volvo Super Olympian in preservation (SBS 9844Z), but that resides in Hong Kong.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Another repatriation from Singapore was SBS6791L, a 1979 Leyland Leopard which had Alexander ATS bodywork. Loch Lomond Coaches acquired it in 1989.

A photo in original condition can be found here on the Remember Singapore blog:

Below it's pictured with Loch Lomond Coaches who acquired it in 1989 (photo by David Devoy):

It was rebodied with a Plaxton Derwent body and then passed to Finglands (photo by SelmerOrSelnec):

According to the description accompanying David Devoy's photo, it ended up in Ireland where it was eventually scrapped.
This Leyland Leopard PSU5C/4R / Alexander T Type B51F was new to Singapore Bus Services in September 1979 as SBS6791, originally built with two doors. It returned to the UK in 1982 to dealer Paul Sykes, before joining the fleet of Woods of Mirfield (GOBIG). Allander of Milngavie bought it for their Loch Lomond bus services division in May 1989 and it was photographed in Dumbarton. Allander had it rebodied in May 1992 with a new Plaxton Derwent 2 B57F body. On disposal it passed to Finglands of Rusholme, then went to Ireland joining the fleet of Kavanaghs of Tipperary before being scrapped in 2007.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
A number of Plaxton Derwent-bodied Leyland Tigers, built for use by the MOD in Germany, were later repatriated and generally converted into high capacity school buses. Bakers Dolphin had a number of such vehicles, converted from left hand drive.

A few I can think of that are in the UK and preserved, mostly in their native colours, are listed below. Well, I'm assuming they were built in Britain - if anyone can correct me as to whether some were built/assembled abroad then please do!

N8 WFB is a Plaxton Pointer-bodied Dennis Dart, new to New World First Bus (NWFB) as HY 8116. Upon arriving in the UK, it saw service as S344 SUX with various First Group divisions around Edinburgh, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Bracknell/Slough and Bristol. It is now preserved in its NWFB green, white and orange livery.

K481 EUX is an Alexander R-bodied Leyland Olympian, new to China Motor Bus (CMB) as FW 3858. Upon arriving in the UK, it saw service with First Group around Manchester and Great Yarmouth. It is now preserved in its CMB blue and cream livery.

D5 CTB is Eastern Counties-bodied (but later modified) Leyland Olympian, new to Citybus as DDU 5866. It was last seen preserved in Citybus yellow, blue and red, but doesn't appear to have been taxed for some time so unsure of current status.

G324 FWC is a Duple Metsec-bodied Dennis Condor, new to China Motor Bus. It has been fairly recently been acquired from Country Lion for preservation.

delt1c

Established Member
One that comes to mind is buses from Malta. I've seen some Eclipses and Solos that were originally from Malta.
I remember the Eclipses here in Malta which were leased. As much as i loved these buses in the UK they were not up to the job for Malta, especially in our hot summers.

Last edited by a moderator:

hst43102

G324 FWC is a Duple Metsec-bodied Dennis Condor, new to China Motor Bus. It has been fairly recently been acquired from Country Lion for preservation.
I wondered where that one had gone - so good to hear it's in preservation! I used to see it daily, but haven't seen it for a few years.

RustySpoons

There was a small batch of ALX200 bodied Volvo B6LEs that came from Hong Kong and served with Stagecoach for a while before going off to operate for various smaller independents. I do have more info on them somewhere...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Apart from the more obvious ex-Hong Kong/Singapore deckers, didn't Stagecoach bring some back from Malawi (or similar)?

MotCO

Established Member
What about the RTs operated by Unitrans in California which were bought back to this country (by Ensignbus?). Ditto an RLH.

busesrusuk

Apart from the more obvious ex-Hong Kong/Singapore deckers, didn't Stagecoach bring some back from Malawi (or similar)?
Yes, there was a batch of Dennis Dragons that were owned by Stagecoach Malawi and they ended up in Manchester on Magic Bus services. They were also used briefly on the Manchester - Liverpool Megabus service. I have photos but they haven't been scanned. Here are a few ex Hong Kong buses back in the UK. Both Big Bus and China Motor Bus bought 12m Metrobuses for use on sightseeing work in London along with batches of tri-axle Olympians from KMB that Big Bus used as well as China Motor Bus Dennis Condor's. I believe some of the Olympians went on for a third life in the US.

Big Bus G34 FWC Apr 14 | ex China Motor Bus Dennis Condor. C… | Flickr
OLST XMB779 May14 | St Paul's cathedral, May 2014 | Keith Wood | Flickr
Big Bus D938 Apr14 | London Bridge, Apr 2014 | Keith Wood | Flickr
Preserved China Motor Bus LV36 Aug14 | Lathalmond, Aug 2014 | Keith Wood | Flickr
Dekkabus 1021 Oct18 | Heathrow T5, Oct 2018 | Keith Wood | Flickr

Strathclyder

Established Member
A few I can think of that are in the UK and preserved, mostly in their native colours, are listed below. Well, I'm assuming they were built in Britain - if anyone can correct me as to whether some were built/assembled abroad then please do!

N8 WFB is a Plaxton Pointer-bodied Dennis Dart, new to New World First Bus (NWFB) as HY 8116. Upon arriving in the UK, it saw service as S344 SUX with various First Group divisions around Edinburgh, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Bracknell/Slough and Bristol. It is now preserved in its NWFB green, white and orange livery.

K481 EUX is an Alexander R-bodied Leyland Olympian, new to China Motor Bus (CMB) as FW 3858. Upon arriving in the UK, it saw service with First Group around Manchester and Great Yarmouth. It is now preserved in its CMB blue and cream livery.

D5 CTB is Eastern Counties-bodied (but later modified) Leyland Olympian, new to Citybus as DDU 5866. It was last seen preserved in Citybus yellow, blue and red, but doesn't appear to have been taxed for some time so unsure of current status.

Most of the early NWFB stock (Darts, Tridents etc) were shipped completely built up, I believe, as were most of the Citybus stock of the period in which D5 was new. CMB's stock, even the last Dennis Condors & Volvo Olympians delivered near the end of the franchise, were shipped as completely-knocked down kits with the bodies being assembled by CMB in their own bodyshops.

A minor correction in regards to K481 EUX (and it's sister vehicles of course), it saw service in Glasgow from 2003 to 2006 inbetween it's spells with PMT/Greater Manchester & Eastern Counties.

Last edited:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Yes, there was a batch of Dennis Dragons that were owned by Stagecoach Malawi and they ended up in Manchester on Magic Bus services. They were also used briefly on the Manchester - Liverpool Megabus service. I have photos but they haven't been scanned. Here are a few ex Hong Kong buses back in the UK. Both Big Bus and China Motor Bus bought 12m Metrobuses for use on sightseeing work in London along with batches of tri-axle Olympians from KMB that Big Bus used as well as China Motor Bus Dennis Condor's. I believe some of the Olympians went on for a third life in the US.

Big Bus G34 FWC Apr 14 | ex China Motor Bus Dennis Condor. C… | Flickr
OLST XMB779 May14 | St Paul's cathedral, May 2014 | Keith Wood | Flickr
Big Bus D938 Apr14 | London Bridge, Apr 2014 | Keith Wood | Flickr
Preserved China Motor Bus LV36 Aug14 | Lathalmond, Aug 2014 | Keith Wood | Flickr
Dekkabus 1021 Oct18 | Heathrow T5, Oct 2018 | Keith Wood | Flickr
There were some that came from Kenya as well.
And looking at this photo, the steering on the Denis Dragons were a bit crap (probably because the rear steering axle was in front of the drive axle)

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Most of the early NWFB stock (Darts, Tridents etc) were shipped completely built up, I believe, as were most of the Citybus stock of the period in which D5 was new. CMB's stock, even the last Dennis Condors & Volvo Olympians delivered near the end of the franchise, were shipped as completely-knocked down kits with the bodies being assembled by CMB in their own bodyshops.

A minor correction in regards to K481 EUX (and it's sister vehicles of course), it saw service in Glasgow from 2003 to 2006 inbetween it's spells with PMT/Greater Manchester & Eastern Counties.
Thanks for that extra info.

Strathclyder

Established Member
There were some that came from Kenya as well.
And looking at this photo, the steering on the Denis Dragons were a bit crap (probably because the rear steering axle was in front of the drive axle)
The heavy steering of these Dragons aside, the Duple Metsec body carries the Stagecoach 'Stripes' livery really well, it has to be said.

This link gives a good few images of buses repatriated form the far East - maybe of interest to some.

XTRA - Oriental buses now in the UK (orientalmodelbuses.co.uk)
The CMB Leyland Victory Mk.2 at Lathalmond (ESF 647W/CH 9399/LV36) is perhaps the most unusual of all the buses brought back from the Far East (linked Flickr image is my own). A Leyland Fleetline (SF31) was brought back with the Victory, but has sadly been sat in a yard just outside the SVBM for a number of years now, exposed to the elements. A real pity, all things considered.

Of course, the erstwhile Brightbus was a major operator of ex-Hong Kong stock as noted in the above link, right to the end (linked video from the nbt vids YT channel). Skip forward to 4:03 for some Dragon/Condor thrash; Dragons/Condors fitted with Cummins L10 engines tended to be loud, growly brutes to say the least!

Last edited:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

Snow1964

Established Member
What about the RTs operated by Unitrans in California which were bought back to this country (by Ensignbus?). Ditto an RLH.

There were 10 or perhaps 11 (although some might have been later Routemasters) that were operated by Abegwait tours in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. The tour owner retired and they ended up with London Bus Company, Roger Wrights company in Northfleet.

EDIT : found a list of them:
RT 714 JXC 77 Weymann body built 1948
RT 961 KGU 235 Park Royal body built 1949
RT 2129 KGK 938 Park Royal body built 1949
RT 4188 LYF 247 Weymann body built 1951
RT 4424 NXP 778 Weymann body built 1953
RT 4548 OLD 768 Park Royal body built 1954
RT 4772 OLD 559 Weymann body built 1954
RTL1076 LUC 253 Park Royal body built 1950
RTL1105 LUC 315 Park Royal body built 1951
RM 1371 371 CLT
RM 1620 620 DYE
I don't think London bus Company has the RMs anymore.

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
This link gives a good few images of buses repatriated form the far East - maybe of interest to some.

XTRA - Oriental buses now in the UK (orientalmodelbuses.co.uk)

With reference to the buses from Malawi/Kenya, if memory serves there is/was only one batch of buses and I am not sure if they came from Kenya or Malawi or were split between the two...
The batch of Dennis Dragons certainly came from the Stagecoach Kenya operations, as Stagecoach had long since exited Malawi before they we’re brought over to the UK. I couldn’t tell you where they may have served prior to their Kenyan career with Stagecoach, but that was their last use prior to the UK.

CBlue

One of the more unusual stories with regards to a repatriated bus was that of Dennis Dart / ALX200 N199PYJ, latterly Stagecoach 33297. Built with a Pointer body as a low floor prototype, then several years later the body was removed and the chassis shipped to South Africa where Neoplan rebodied it using ALX200 parts. It then founds it's way back to the UK, entering service with Huntingdon & District (Cavalier) and eventually ending up in Stagecoach ownership.

Strathclyder

Established Member

Ploughman

Established Member
NOt a repatriation but an import was a Scania Vabis 40ft 1957 single deck bus ex Stockholm City Transport.
Imported as a trial for UK use when Sweden chanaged the Rule of the Road to Driving on the Right.
Sold from North's at Sherburn n Elmet and bought by a Dave Suffolk last heard of by me at Sandtoft in the mid 70's.
Used to have a big black Spanish Bull painted on the side.

Sm5

Were they ?
I thought they were still out there ?
i used to ride them to UC Davis campus in 1998/9 when I worked out there…
They were renegined with a natural gas engine i recall.
Staff were from the university and the buses still had old London adverts on.. but it was odd having to walk into the middle of the road in order to board.

on a separate note c2003 I found myself domiciled in Singapore for a period, and Sentosa Island had an open top ex-Northern Counties Leyland Olympian, with open top roof running about, it was there a few years but as the island became hugely developed it dissapeared, but I was told it had gone back to the UK, c2008.

Last edited:

jp4712

Are you suggesting that export to Australia would be expected to have completely knackered it? :p
Well in this case, it did! Took us ages to get it back in shape again, especially the electrics.

MotCO

Established Member
Were they ?
I thought they were still out there ?
i used to ride them to UC Davis campus in 1998/9 when I worked out there…
They were renegined with a natural gas engine i recall.
Staff were from the university and the buses still had old London adverts on.. but it was odd having to walk into the middle of the road in order to board.

on a separate note c2003 I found myself domiciled in Singapore for a period, and Sentosa Island had an open top ex-Northern Counties Leyland Olympian, with open top roof running about, it was there a few years but as the island became hugely developed it dissapeared, but I was told it had gone back to the UK, c2008.
Trawling through the web, it seems as though there were 9 RTs/RTLs at Unitrans, of which only 4 seem to remain, but I'm not sure if they are being used.

I recall around 12 RTs and an RLH being repatriated from the USA en masse, so where did these come from?

Zamracene749

Ex Christchurch, New Zealand Bristol RE JD4954- Now registered XOU396T and preserved in the Bristol area. Although made in Brislington, I believe these were sent over as kits to be assembled in NZ, so this might or might not count for this thread :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trawling through the web, it seems as though there were 9 RTs/RTLs at Unitrans, of which only 4 seem to remain, but I'm not sure if they are being used.

I recall around 12 RTs and an RLH being repatriated from the USA en masse, so where did these come from?
I think you're confusing it with Roger Wright's repatriation from Prince Edward Island, Canada in 2010; 7 RTs, 2 RTLs (yippee!) and 2 RMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.