• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Routes Still Every Ten Minutes Or Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man of Kent

A few at Stagecoach South East still:
25 Canterbury bus station - Kent & Canterbury Hospital
Uni1 Canterbury bus station- University
Both Canterbury park and ride routes (every 8 mins off peak)
Thanet Loop

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Djb1

Greater Manchester has a fair number more than just the 192/43

Such as

135 Manchester- bury
17 Manchester- rochdale
201 Manchester - hattersley
203 Manchester - stockport
219 Manchester- stalybridge.
325 Stockport - brinnington
330 Stockport - Ashton
409 Rochdale - Ashton
142/143 (if they count)

LAIRA

Plymouth Citybus 21/21A every ten minutes during school terms.
42/42A/42C combined Royal Parade-Derriford Hospital as is Stagecoach 1/1A over the same route.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
From 2nd April, a section of Stagecoach South's Coastliner 700 can possibly be added to the list following a restructure. The route currently runs as three separate chunks all numbered 700 but operated and registered as standalone (but overlapping) routes without through journeys - you'd need to change twice to get from Portsmouth to Brighton.

The overlaps are being done away with from 2nd April though, with the corridor becoming separate Portsmouth to Chichester, Chichester to Littlehampton, and Littlehampton to Brighton routes.

The middle Chichester to Littlehampton route will be increased to every 10 minutes over the Chichester - Bognor Regis - Flansham Park section of it (45 min journey time), with every other journey continuing to Littlehamton (18 min journey time).

Timetable: https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...er/Coastliner 700 Littlehampton__02_04_23.pdf

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Nottingham City Transport

17 Bulwell
28 Bilborough
39 Carlton Valley
43 Bakersfield
44 Gedling
45 Gedling
58 Killisick
77 Strelley Estate
89 Rise Park

Springs Branch

Established Member
Greater Manchester has a fair number more than just the 192/43

Such as

135 Manchester- bury
17 Manchester- rochdale
201 Manchester - hattersley
203 Manchester - stockport
219 Manchester- stalybridge.
325 Stockport - brinnington
330 Stockport - Ashton
409 Rochdale - Ashton
142/143 (if they count)
I was about to add the 575 between Bolton and Horwich to the list.

However, a glance at the timetable shows that although there are indeed 6 buses per hour through the day, operations are split 50:50 between Arriva and Diamond. Westbound towards Horwich, intervals are 5 - 15 - 5 -15 - 5 -15 mins.
Eastbound along most of Chorley New Road, Arriva and Diamond buses more or less shadow each other into Bolton. So there are two buses, a 20-ish min gap, then two more buses show up - all on service 575. So unfortunately not every 10 mins!

SSmith2009

First Leicester have upcoming changes from 16th April which will see services 15 and 54 both operate up to every 7 minutes during the daytime.

daodao

Established Member
36 Leeds-Harrogate/Ripon. Every 10 mins from around 0830-1530 Leeds-Harrogate though less frequent on the extension through to Ripon.
This service doesn't quite fit the OP's criteria for the paradoxical reason that is only recently that the service has become every 10 minutes, so the word "still" is not really applicable. The service was only every 15 minutes for many years up to the 1970s and had dropped to every 30 minutes in 1985; in 2011 it had reverted to every 15 minutes. It is a rare example where there is currently a better service frequency now than historically. Off topic (as it is only hourly), route 58 from Buxton to Macclesfield via the Cat and Fiddle is another example of an improved bus service compared to years ago.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This service doesn't quite fit the OP's criteria for the paradoxical reason that is only recently that the service has become every 10 minutes, so the word "still" is not really applicable. The service was only every 15 minutes for many years up to the 1970s and had dropped to every 30 minutes in 1985; in 2011 it had reverted to every 15 minutes. It is a rare example where there is currently a better service frequency now than historically. Off topic (as it is only hourly), route 58 from Buxton to Macclesfield via the Cat and Fiddle is another example of an improved bus service compared to years ago.
As long as people are prepared to provide examples of services that currently have a 10 minute frequency, I think we can say that they meet the criteria. I've removed a couple of posts already because no specific routes were mentioned, but let's not get into the realm of extreme nit-picking.

Typhoon

Established Member
The Thanet Loop is every 10 minutes day time Monday - Saturday (Margate - Broadstairs - Ramsgate - Westwood Cross - Margate (and reverse) - Stagecoach South East. Almost manages it on a Sunday except half the journeys take a diversion to cover a section of route covered by another service during the rest of the week when leaving Ramsgate.

Not bad for a service introduced in the Stagecoach era.

sk688

In Bath the U1/U2 operate every 4 minutes in the peak , and every 8 off peak.

The expanded provision to UoB is interesting in comparison to Bath Spa, which only has the U5 every 15 minutes, despite being further out of the city.

Bristol LHS

Stagecoach Sunderland’s 20 (City - Pennywell) is still every ten minutes, but seems to be the last one at that frequency. Amazed how frequencies in the city have declined across Stagecoach and Go North East.

ian1944

In Edinburgh both the 26 and 30 run every 10 minutes, as far as I can see, although only every second 26 runs the full route to Tranent.
That's because only every second 26 runs the other full route to Seton Sands. Only the non-common parts after Prestonpans are every 20 minutes.

darloscott

Arriva Redcar service 63 is still every 10 minutes between Redcar & Middlesbrough via Eston - during the week at least!

BJames

Established Member
Nottingham City Transport

17 Bulwell
28 Bilborough
39 Carlton Valley
43 Bakersfield
44 Gedling
45 Gedling
58 Killisick
77 Strelley Estate
89 Rise Park
Can add Orange 34 (Uni of Nottingham/City Loop) to that as well - I actually can't see it on bustimes.org, not sure why as the other Orange lines (35/36) are on there... but it runs every 10 minutes weekdays, and up to every 6 minutes in the morning at peak times: https://www.nctx.co.uk/services/NCT/34?date=2023-03-27&direction=inbound

I had thought the 35/36 were every 10 minutes but looks like they're now every 12.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Can add Orange 34 (Uni of Nottingham/City Loop) to that as well - I actually can't see it on bustimes.org, not sure why as the other Orange lines (35/36) are on there... but it runs every 10 minutes weekdays, and up to every 6 minutes in the morning at peak times: https://www.nctx.co.uk/services/NCT/34?date=2023-03-27&direction=inbound

I had thought the 35/36 were every 10 minutes but looks like they're now every 12.
Yes good point, and their website timetable also confirms it (term time only) at www.nctx.co.uk

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't believe there have been any mentions of London bus routes so far, not that they seem to have been excluded by the OP.

Two or three years ago, dozens of routes all over London would have passed muster, but now half or more of these have gone to 12 or even 15 minute intervals, even at peak times. The ones that remain are by no means confined to Central or Inner London, like the 2,6,24,38 or 73: outer Kingston has two (the 65 and 85) and Romford (the 5 and 86) for instance both at better than 6bph throughout the day. The not-so-well-known 56, meanwhile, operates every 9 minutes all day, but at 8 minutes in the evening, but its two termini are both major hospitals! Being London, with its unique circumstances, in theory the whole route gets the full service, but unscheduled curtailments occur most days on many routes. Evening and Sunday frequencies are though, in the main, comparable to the weekday daytime ones.

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev Harrogate Route 1 workings to Knaresborough and then splitting to servce the various estates around Knaresborough are every 10 minutes Monday-Saturday daytime on the core secton so presumably meets the criteria although previously the were more frequent; "every 7 minutes", actually 7 or 8.

Ken H

On Moderation
Transdev Harrogate Route 1 workings to Knaresborough and then splitting to servce the various estates around Knaresborough are every 10 minutes Monday-Saturday daytime on the core secton so presumably meets the criteria although previously the were more frequent; "every 7 minutes", actually 7 or 8.
I thought that but the OP disallowed that scenario in post #1

PerhAps we need another thread of roads that have a lot of buses but different numbers. Roads like the A660 out of Leeds through Headingley. I think there are 7 routes between Merrion Centre and West Park off the top of my head.

This thread has opened my eyes to the amount of services that have been reduced over the decades, many of the routes I have checked which used to be so frequent you didn't worry about the timetable are now every 12 or 15 minutes, a bit of bunching and you could be waiting ages for a bus.

Death by a thousand cuts is the expression I think.

Mind, I lived in Walker, Newcastle during the TWOC / Busways bus war, it was a bus every ten seconds.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
This thread has opened my eyes to the amount of services that have been reduced over the decades, many of the routes I have checked which used to be so frequent you didn't worry about the timetable are now every 12 or 15 minutes, a bit of bunching and you could be waiting ages for a bus.

Death by a thousand cuts is the expression I think.

Mind, I lived in Walker, Newcastle during the TWOC / Busways bus war, it was a bus every ten seconds.
Quite. When I first started in the industry in 2002 there would have been far too many to list, even just here in Leicestershire. I think a lot of it is the loss of the traditional 'town service' in many cases.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Surely the Stagecoach Cumbria and North Lancashire 1/1A should count.

bustimes.org gives you the option to display them in a combined service, which is every 10 minutes between Lancaster and Sandylands, with every 10 minutes to Heysham Towers via differing routings.

During University term times, all buses are extended to Lancaster Uni (outside, only the 1A goes down).

Slightly confusing of course when you're looking at the broader picture but it's not as sketchy as the 'up to every 10 minutes' on the websites. From a practical usage perspective it's every 10.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Surely the Stagecoach Cumbria and North Lancashire 1/1A should count.

bustimes.org gives you the option to display them in a combined service, which is every 10 minutes between Lancaster and Sandylands, with every 10 minutes to Heysham Towers via differing routings.

During University term times, all buses are extended to Lancaster Uni (outside, only the 1A goes down).

Slightly confusing of course when you're looking at the broader picture but it's not as sketchy as the 'up to every 10 minutes' on the websites. From a practical usage perspective it's every 10.

I think that breaks the conditions:

By every ten minutes I mean:

. Everything has the same service number, any other services with other suffixes/ prefixes do not count, I’m not talking about “corridors” (61/62/63 or 38/38a/38b) I’m talking about individual services

Agent_Squash

Established Member
I think that breaks the conditions:

The 1/1A is used to signify a uni extension outside of term time, but during term times it’s the exact same service.

From an operational and user perspective they’re the same every 10 minutes service during this time. Indeed, a 1 will often come into the uni and form a 1A.

It is part of a wider corridor (with 1/1A, 100, 4, 41 and 42) but this service in its own right is every 10 and is more how it’s displayed in the timetable to deal with the uni.

Adtrainsam

From the 16th April, 2 First Essex routes will run every 10 minutes (or better)

Route 28 (Southend to Basildon) - Every 10 minutes M-F
Route S4 (Colchester to Greenstead) - Every 8/10 minutes M-Sat

cactustwirly

Established Member
Reading Buses route 17 "purple" often has a 10 minute frequency, at times it's even more frequent (8 or 9 minutes).

Used to be every 8 minutes but has been cut to every 10 minutes, obviously evenings and Sundays are less frequent

Status
Not open for further replies.