• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Services run under contract (but NOT National Express/ CityLink/ PTEs/ Councils/ Schools/ Worker Services etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
The recent announcement that Falcon (the Plymouth - Bristol Airport service started by Stagecoach a couple of years ago) is part of the services that will transfer to ComfortDelGro caught me by surprise - both in terms of it being part of the sale (I'd seen no rumours before hand that it was even under consideration, unlike Warwickshire etc) and also the way that it was passing to them - I initially assumed that ComfortDelGro would be operating it directly, but the below two posts cleared it up for me (thanks!):

If StagecoachNational Express are their operating contractor, at least for the time being, I don't see how that really matters?

Exactly as @RT4038 says.

The physical operation of the Falcon will continue to be by Stagecoach from Exeter and Plymouth but now as a contractor. ComfortDelGro are buying the sales and marketing and intellectual property but the physical assets and operation will stay with Stagecoach.

...which got me thinking, what other services have been subcontracted/ run under tender on behalf of organisations other than the "usual suspects" (public sector tenders or contracts like TfL, school services etc)?

There were certainly some during Covid, whilst firms were short of drivers (e.g. Stagecoach subcontracted a couple of PTE tenders in the Hillsborough area of Sheffield to South Pennine) - are there any other examples though?

(I'm not talking about the long running National Express/ CityLink contracts, more like "one off" arrangements)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
The Megabus operations will be the same after the sale. Go Plymouth subcontract a lot of work from the Cornwall contract to other operators like OTS and Summercourt Travel. Stagecoach had a local bus service somewhere on the South Coast that was sub contracted to a local operator for a number of years and First have done a few over the years I believe. Solent Blue Line used to contract a local independent (Marchwood Motorways) to operate services however they later bought them out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It was the case in the mid 2000s that Milton Keynes Council contracted certain evening services to Julian Peddle's MK Metro who operated the daytime service, but that they subcontracted them to one of the Aylesbury "bus bandits" - or at least that was what I was told by the Council to my great surprise when I complained about issues with the service.

Another one I recall is that Stagecoach subcontracted one of their Sussex routes (forget which one) to Compass Bus who operated it in Stagecoach livery with their own vehicles.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Another one I recall is that Stagecoach subcontracted one of their Sussex routes (forget which one) to Compass Bus who operated it in Stagecoach livery with their own vehicles.
Wasn't it some local services around Worthing?

There was also the Marchwood Motorways service operated with vehicles in Solent Blue Line colours but don't know if that was a sub-contracting job or if Marchwood paid for the privilege of using their image on a franchise basis.

Other examples were of Abus in Bristol operating for First West of England on one of the Nailsea routes and, until September, on the main Bristol to Keynsham route (though in truth, they were more a case of competitive services being brought under common control). The main Bristol metrobus service is also operated by CT Plus on behalf of First.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
First in West Yorkshire have subcontracted some services - the 539 and 587 in Halifax to CT Plus.

From Monday 1st November, Services 539, 587 and C51 (school services) will be run by CT Plus on a temporary basis.
CT%20Plus%20X26%201.jpg

• Timetables will remain the same.
  • The bus will look different (as per the image), but will follow the same route.
  • All First Bus tickets will be available to buy on-bus, and mTickets will still be accepted.

duncombec

Stagecoach had a local bus service somewhere on the South Coast that was sub contracted to a local operator for a number of years

No need for the past tense - it was, and is, Worthing local service 7: https://www.compass-travel.co.uk/download/west-sussex-bus-services/007.pdf

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The 'Hoverbus' that operates a loop between Hovertravel's Isle of Wight hovercraft terminal, The Hard Interchange and Portsmouth & Southsea station is operated under contract to Hovertravel by Stagecoach (and before them, Tellings-Golden Miller). It isn't just open to Hovertravel passengers though, with single/return/day tickets also available. Enviro 200 411 DCD (YX63 GYJ, fleet number 36925) is branded for the route.

This is the 7 between Lancing and High Salvington via Worthing, for which Compass operate a trio of 9.6m Enviro 200s from (as you say) their own fleet but wearing Stagecoach livery, with 'Connect 7' route branding (although the current 90 minute vice hourly frequency only requires two). The current trio are YY66 PGE/F/K, which replaced the original three MX58 VGP/R and YX09 FNH. None have/had Stagecoach spec interiors.

I believe Seven Sisters Bus & Coach are still currently operating routes 95/97 (Bexhill to Conquest Hospital/Hooe) on behalf of Stagecoach South East, although unlike the above examples this is a temporary arrangement to do with driver shortages. In use are former Stagecoach-liveried Trident LV52 HFT, former Go Ahead London-liveried Enviro 200 LX07 BXR and their own Eastbourne Sightseeing Volvo/Wright Gemini LK04 HYS.

DunsBus

Established Member

There was also the Marchwood Motorways service operated with vehicles in Solent Blue Line colours but don't know if that was a sub-contracting job or if Marchwood paid for the privilege of using their image on a franchise basis.

Other examples were of Abus in Bristol operating for First West of England on one of the Nailsea routes and, until September, on the main Bristol to Keynsham route (though in truth, they were more a case of competitive services being brought under common control). The main Bristol metrobus service is also operated by CT Plus on behalf of First.
That reminds me, I remember Stagecoach sub-contracting some marginal services in Sunderland to Redby Travel during 1998.

Status
Not open for further replies.