• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Settlements where rail infrastructure is more well known than its namesake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Hardly anyone would know of Evercreech beyond the immediate area, were it not for Evercreech Junction (albeit it was south of the village).
Similarly Halwill / Halwill Junction (separate locations a mile apart), the latter well-known when the LSWR then Southern served the north Devon and Cornwall coasts.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Isn't Watford Gap best known for motorway services?
Only since around 1959.

Prior to that it was a notable geographical feature that was made use of by the railway builders, the canal builders and (way back) by the Romans when they constructed the Watling Street.

Class800

Established Member
This reveals the interesting difference between what a place is known for and what it was known for in the past

gg1

Established Member
Isn't Watford Gap best known for motorway services?
That could be a whole other thread, 'settlements primarily know for the road infrastructure which bears it's name', you could probably include half the motorway service stations in the country.

Mikey C

Established Member
Some underground stations named after specific roads have made the place well-known where the road itself isn't of much significance otherwise, even locally. For instance Rayners Lane - it's now seen as a kind of district in one corner of Harrow, though it only has that name and status because of the underground station on the road of that name. Similarly Goldhawk Road, Hanger Lane, and others.
Hangar Lane is most (in)famous as a road junction!

Street name > station > Road junction :D

mrcheek

Established Member
There are a few places in Cornwall which I would never have heard of if not for the railway.

Par has been mentioned. St Erth is another, along with Lostwithiel, St Germans, and Gunnislake.

Also, Camborne, which is probably most famous for a Jethro joke. Similar to Cockfosters mentioned above, which is best remembered for a Max Miller joke!

John Luxton

Established Member
There are a few places in Cornwall which I would never have heard of if not for the railway.

Par has been mentioned. St Erth is another, along with Lostwithiel, St Germans, and Gunnislake.

Also, Camborne, which is probably most famous for a Jethro joke. Similar to Cockfosters mentioned above, which is best remembered for a Max Miller joke!
Camborne is quite famous - even has its own song "Going Up Camborne Hill" a rugby, male voice choir and folk song favourite.

Commemorates the running of Trevithick's Road Locomotive in 1801.

It is also very well know for its mining history.

Lostwithiel is also famous for its castle.

ST Germans and Gunnislake I agree are a bit more obscure!

AlbertBeale

Established Member

I always get Lostwithiel confused with Luxulyan - on the branch line a few miles away; the latter made the headlines decades ago when there was a campaign to stop a nuclear power station in that part of Cornwall. In the case of Lostwithiel, it's surely only the fact of the railway station that means non-locals have heard of it.

The exile

Established Member
In the case of Lostwithiel, it's surely only the fact of the railway station that means non-locals have heard of it.
To be fair, that will apply to lots of smaller stations, particularly those which for operating convenience ( or whatever) get served by long distance services.

urbophile

Established Member
Lostwithiel is also famous for its castle.
I visualise Lostwithiel as a remote moorland station surrounded by mist. Descending from the London train in the early morning, the sole passengers are Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, the latter rubbing sleep from his eyes and looking around him in bewilderment. Don't tell me it's not like that.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Some underground stations named after specific roads have made the place well-known where the road itself isn't of much significance otherwise, even locally. For instance Rayners Lane - it's now seen as a kind of district in one corner of Harrow, though it only has that name and status because of the underground station on the road of that name. Similarly Goldhawk Road, Hanger Lane, and others. As for main line stations in London - yes, Victoria station has given its name to the district, though the district is surely itself well-known now*; but Kings Cross isn't such a clear-cut case. And the St Pancras area doesn't get its name from the station - it's the other way round; the St P name, in that part of London at least, isn't seen as synonymous with the station.
*And hence perhaps doesn't fit the criteria, since the topic is what's known by the name, not which came first.
I think that King's Cross as an area was called Battle Bridge before the station was built.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
On the West Coast Main Line: Hanslope Junction, Watford Gap and Kilsby Tunnel. All far better known than the villages they take their names from.
Where is Hanslope / Hanslope Junction?

Maybe not all that well known, perhaps?!

snowball

Established Member
I visualise Lostwithiel as a remote moorland station surrounded by mist. Descending from the London train in the early morning, the sole passengers are Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, the latter rubbing sleep from his eyes and looking around him in bewilderment. Don't tell me it's not like that.
I imagine much the same. I also imagine Lostwithiel as midway between Lowestoft and Listowel.

Fireless

The first thing that came to my mind was Maschen in Germany (just south of Hamburg) being a small town (population of about 9000) with a large (in fact the largest in europe and second largest in the world) marshalling yard.

Healey, Tinsley and Toton all follow a similar pattern.

D365

Veteran Member
There are several stations named after villages/suburbs which also serve larger nearby settlements where the station is more known than the place it's named after.

Some examples include Seamer, Thornaby, Hordon, Hartford, Longport and Markinch.
Barnetby is a good example for those familiar with Cleethorpes trains (South Transpennine).

Stenson is better known in railway circles for its junction, and in canal circles for its "bubble", than the nearby hamlet.
Is that the Stenson south of Derby?

BeijingDave

Crewe and Swindon are the two many people will think of but if the railway had not chosen the location for large scale workshops which other places would probably be far smaller now?
My first thoughts are Darlington and Eastleigh.

Crewe yes, but in the case of Swindon I think the first two things most people would think of are the 'Magic Roundabout' and the Honda factory, so possibly more famous (nowadays) for non-railway infrastructure!

BeijingDave

Lostwithiel is also known in electronic music circles for 'The Road to Lostwithiel' on the groundbreaking/seminal BT album 'ESCM'

A beautiful, evocative track, but probably one which would not soundtrack the scene you describe there.

Status
Not open for further replies.