• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: single lines with multiple operators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's just occurred to me that I cannot think odd the top of my head of any single track lines anywhere in the country which have services operated on them by more than one TOC (freight excluded).
Do any exist (surely they must?), and where?

Mentions of odd little curves and connections of track are welcome, but I'm more interested in lines of significant length.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
South of Inverness through to Perth, various single line sections, for example, through Newtonmore. Trains operated by Scotrail and Caledonian Sleeper.

Trains out of Sheffield through Dore station. Trains operated by East Midlands Trains, TransPennine Express and Northern.

Revilo

Newquay branch with XC and GWR (in normal times), also Weston-super-Mare loop line

Strathclyder

Established Member
In line with the example cited by @Mcr Warrior, the West Highland Line from Craigendoran to Fort William via Crianlarich with numerous single-line sections has trains operated by both ScotRail & Caledonian Sleeper.

LNER on Inverness to Perth as well. That's a line of very significant length, mostly single track, with multiple TOCs serving the stations on it.

Single line between Usan and Montrose used by LNER, Caledonian Sleeper, Scotrail and Cross Country, but that's veering towards the "odd little connections" end of the scale rather than being hugely long.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does the single line Royal Albert Bridge on the Devon/ Cornwall border in the South West count? GWR and some Cross Country trains use that. Just short of half a mile of single track.

Darandio

Established Member
It's stretching your definition a bit and not that long but Hartlepool is effectively single line for around half a mile for Northern and Grand Central passenger services.

Then although one isn't strictly a TOC, Northern share the Grosmont to Whitby section with NYMR.

I think Chester to Wrexham would have been a candidate until recently as well?

daodao

Established Member
Newquay branch with XC and GWR (in normal times), also Weston-super-Mare loop line
The Pembroke Dock branch has a GWR train on summer Saturdays.

Then although one isn't strictly a TOC, Northern share the Grosmont to Whitby section with NYMR.

The line from Fort William to Mallaig is also used by WCR.

The line from Yeovil Pen Mill to Castle Cary is used by GWR and SWR.

SteveyBee131

Single line between Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes, services operated by TransPennine and East Midlands Railway (and Northern (hopefully!) on Saturdays).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Couple of single line sections north of Ely towards Kings Lynn between Littleport and Downham Market and then Watlington and Kings Lynn Junction. Trains operated by Greater Anglia and (mostly) Thameslink/Great Northern.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yeovil Pen Mill to Castle Cary GWR & SWR.

But does the GWR sleeper run often enough Exeter to Yeovil to include it?

Fareham to Botley isn’t that long but has SWR, GWR and SN.

Dr Strider

Great Malvern to Hereford, also the tiny stretch from Worcester Shrub Hill to Foregate Street

NSE

Established Member
Isn’t there a single stretch between Upwey and Weymouth? If so, that’s GWR and SWT.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Scraping the barrel now, but it's single track over the 26 metre long Trowse Swing Bridge coming out of Norwich.

Greater Anglia and a few East Midlands Trains use that section.

Isn’t there a single stretch between Upwey and Weymouth? If so, that’s GWR and SWT.
Yes, a very short section in the vicinity of Weymouth Junction.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think Chester to Wrexham would have been a candidate until recently as well?
There are still just over 4 miles of single track from Rossett Jn to Wrexham North Jn. The redoubling project went over budget and that's as far as it went.

Grecian 1998

Does the single line Royal Albert Bridge on the Devon/ Cornwall border in the South West count? GWR and some Cross Country trains use that. Just short of half a mile of single track.

There's also two further short single line sections on the Cornish mainline. One is over St Largin and Pinnock viaducts between Liskeard and Bodmin Parkway, which was singled in the 1960s and the track moved to the middle of the formation to reduce weight bearing on the viaducts. The other is from Marazion to Penzance.

It's just occurred to me that I cannot think odd the top of my head of any single track lines anywhere in the country which have services operated on them by more than one TOC (freight excluded).
Do any exist (surely they must?), and where?

Mentions of odd little curves and connections of track are welcome, but I'm more interested in lines of significant length.
The single track section between Heathrow Airport T123 and Heathrow Airport T4 used to be served by Heathrow Connect and Heathrow Express and later by Heathrow Express and TFL Rail however the line is now 100% TFL Rail so it no longer counts.

snowball

Established Member
Aren't there also a few single line sections along the north Wales coastline between Crewe and Holyhead which are served by TfW and Avanti.
I think just the Britannia bridge, since its reconstruction after the 1970 fire.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yeovil Pen Mill to Castle Cary GWR & SWR.

But does the GWR sleeper run often enough Exeter to Yeovil to include it?

Fareham to Botley isn’t that long but has SWR, GWR and SN.

Yeovil Pen Mill to Yeovil Jn is diversionary only so far as GWR are concerned

Scraping the barrel now, but it's single track over the 26 metre long Trowse Swing Bridge coming out of Norwich.

Also in East Anglia is the stretch of line around Downham Market used by Thameslink and Great Eastern. Another short line is the tunnel at Stansted airport used by GE and Crosse Country.

As per note below GE should be Greater Anglia - posted after a long day. (Edited)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.