• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations at which services go to the same destination from different platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
If you mean is as follows-
Hampden Park station in Sussex.
A train from London (or Brighton) stops at the down platform then goes to Eastbourne, reverses then calls at the up platform before going towards Hastings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I really think the OP needs to return and define more tightly what they mean - the example they give implies trains leaving from opposite platforms, heading in opposite directions and taking different routes to the same terminating point.

yes that is what I meant, services leaving a station from opposite platforms in different directions but heading to the same destination, via a different route, and it was supposed to be excluding terminus stations like Edinburgh where you can get a service to Glasgow QS from different platforms. Whifflet and Motherwell are through stations and you can get a service to Dalmuir from services going in different directions, and I was asking if there are other stations you can also do this. Apologies about the confusion

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Fareham, Portchester, Cosham. All have SWR to London in one direction (via Eastleigh), and SN to London (via Havant and the coast) the other way. Although different London terminals, the two routes come together at Clapham Junction.

brad465

Established Member
The Sidcup and North Kent Line have a rounder service that means all stations between Hither Green and Crayford + Slade Green - Deptford have trains to Cannon St from both platforms. The Bexleyheath Line also has rounder services with the NK line with Cannon St as the common destination.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Brighouse. Services to Leeds via Dewsbury from one platform, and to Leeds via Bradford (albeit only beyond Bradford on Sundays currently) from the other.

jumble

On the Tube

Kings Cross to Rayners Lane

Via MET or Piccadilly

Anywhere on the circle of the Circle line

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
Gowerton to Shrewsbury

Westbound via the HoW line and Eastbound via Cardiff and the Marches line.

sd0733

Established Member
At Crewe there are departures to Stafford off Platform 3 via Stoke and off platforms 5/6 via Madeley, and in the ordinary timetable off Platform 6/11 to Liverpool.via Runcorn and off platform 1 via Manchester Airport

aliceh

In normal timetable times, St Denys has trains (well, one or two per day) to Clapham Junction (and London) from Platform 1 (via Basingstoke) and Platform 3 (via Chichester and Gatwick). Plus trains to Southampton Central from 2 and 4, but that's not exactly interesting.

gg1

Established Member
At Crewe there are departures to Stafford off Platform 3 via Stoke and off platforms 5/6 via Madeley, and in the ordinary timetable off Platform 6/11 to Liverpool.via Runcorn and off platform 1 via Manchester Airport

In both cases the matching services depart Crewe in the same direction so this wouldn't count.

hilly

Cardiff central

radyr via city line from platform 8, radyr via llandaff from platform 6

bridgend via main line from platform 3/4
Bridgend via vale of glamorgan from platform 7/8

DB

Trains from York to Leeds can go from any platform apart from 2 (bay platform only accessible from Scarborough line).

Via Church Fenton from 1, 4, 6, 7.
Via Harrogate from 8.
Via either route from 3, 5, 9, 10, 11, although in practice Harrigate line trains mostly use platform 8.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In normal timetable times, St Denys has trains (well, one or two per day) to Clapham Junction (and London) from Platform 1 (via Basingstoke) and Platform 3 (via Chichester and Gatwick). Plus trains to Southampton Central from 2 and 4, but that's not exactly interesting.
That’s not the idea, its a pretty normal junction station and they're all going in the same direction through the station. What the OP was after was a station such as Fareham, Portchester or Cosham, where trains leave for London in both geographic directions.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That’s not the idea, its a pretty normal junction station and they're all going in the same direction through the station. What the OP was after was a station such as Fareham, Portchester or Cosham, where trains leave for London in both geographic directions.
How would somewhere like Smethwick Galton Bridge work on this thread? Services from and to Birmingham (albeit different stations) departing in different (but not opposite) directions...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How would somewhere like Smethwick Galton Bridge work on this thread? Services from and to Birmingham (albeit different stations) departing in different (but not opposite) directions...
Well I’d go back to the OP, and just be assuming that the question is about other stations that are something “like Whifflet”, ie ordinary 2 platform through stations.

I was pretty sure that terminus stations such as Portsmouth Harbour could immediately be ruled out though...

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
yes that is what I meant, services leaving a station from opposite platforms in different directions but heading to the same destination, via a different route, and it was supposed to be excluding terminus stations like Edinburgh where you can get a service to Glasgow QS from different platforms. Whifflet and Motherwell are through stations and you can get a service to Dalmuir from services going in different directions, and I was asking if there are other stations you can also do this. Apologies about the confusion

It isn't strictly a heavy rail line, so is only a hypothetical example, but would you accept the stations on the Tyne and Wear Metro eastern loop? Using Whitley Bay as an example, trains from Platform 1 go to South Shields via Monument, whilst trains from Platform 2 go to St James, but also via Monument.

peters

On Moderation
From Manchester Piccadilly you can go to Chester from platform 14 via Warrington or from one of the terminus platforms, leaving Piccadilly in the other direction via Altrincham. The two routes then meet at Mickle Trafford, not far from Chester. Although, pre-Metrolink both lines went out of Manchester towards Castlefield.

sd0733

Established Member
In both cases the matching services depart Crewe in the same direction so this wouldn't count.
Yes of course, dim moment there. Probably why theyve not been mentioned before!!

scotrail158713

Established Member
Birmingham to New Street to / from Edinburgh or Glasgow Central via ECML or WCML
That’s not strictly true of Glasgow Central actually as they both leave in the same direction.
The Edinburgh one is definitely though - I’ve only just come across this thread and can’t believe it’s been a week, and 44 posts, before someone mentioned it.

gg1

Established Member
That’s not strictly true of Glasgow Central actually as they both leave in the same direction.
The Edinburgh one is definitely though - I’ve only just come across this thread and can’t believe it’s been a week, and 44 posts, before someone mentioned it.

New Street to Edinburgh is actually two examples in one as the ECML and WCML services depart Edinburgh in opposite directions too.

TrainTube

Weybridge has 2 platforms bound for London, where one train goes via Virginia Water and Hounslow and the other via Surbiton.
East Croydon has lots of platforms where you can go to London Victoria. This is usually platforms 1,2,4. Trains run via Selhurst but also via Crystal palace.

robbeech

Established Member
From Huddersfield, the Northern services to Sheffield usually use the dedicated platform 2, but can use 4b. The peak extra used to use P1 but now uses 4 if it runs at all.

In recent weekends, or when there's been disruption on the Hope Valley, TPE have been running Manchester to Sheffield via Huddersfield and Wakefield Kirkgate, which uses platform 8 at Huddersfield........
There are late night services from Manchester Airport to Sheffield (and opposite early morning) that are booked this route normally I think so it definitely counts.

A slightly tenuous one as I’m not sure it works at the same time. Retford.
services from Platform 2 to Leeds up the ECML though this is limited to some services late in the day and at weekends as most go to York. And then platform 3 to Leeds via Sheffield.

also, on the same route. A couple of Worksop examples from single services.
Worksop to Lincoln via Nottingham from Platform 1 and Worksop to Lincoln via Retford from Platform 2.

Worksop to Nottingham via Mansfield from platform 2 (reversal) and Worksop to Nottingham via Sheffield from Platform 1. They technically go the same way out of the station but very quickly take a different route.

DorkingMain

Crystal Palace has trains departing in both directions towards London - Victoria from one end and London Bridge / ELL from the other.

Strawberry Hill, Hounslow, Slade Green, Crayford and Barnehurst also all have rounders departing to London in both directions.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There are late night services from Manchester Airport to Sheffield (and opposite early morning) that are booked this route normally I think so it definitely counts.
I didn't mention the regular late night/early morning runs because they don't (or certainly didn't in the past) make a passenger call at Huddersfield.

robbeech

Established Member
I didn't mention the regular late night/early morning runs because they don't (or certainly didn't in the past) make a passenger call at Huddersfield.
Ah. Of course. You are quite right. I remember seeing them just on RTT but forget it was a ....... operational stop.

317 forever

Established Member
I think Clapham Junction - Highbury & Islington is another. Some trains go via Canada Water and others via Willesden Junction

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm unsure if they depart from different platforms, but Cardiff Central has two completely different routes to Manchester. One on the hourly service via Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe, and one on the occasional CrossCountry service via Cheltenham and Birmingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.