• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: stations busier at the weekend than in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huddersfield could get pretty hectic with the Ale Trail on a Saturday, particularly if it was any combination of: (a) also a Home match for HTFC; (b) the Food Festival weekend; (c) a particularly sunny day... However pre-COVID there's no way the ale trail generated more usage than all the inbound and outbound commuter traffic I'd have thought. The others listed, along with Dewsbury on the other hand almost definitely would, as there's nothing much else there besides the pub!

The one that sprang to mind when I saw this thread was Bordesley, again with the caveat of there being a match on.
Of course your right about Huddersfield. What I meant to say was Stations on The Huddersfield line.

greyman42

Established Member
York gets very busy on a weekend.
As does Newcastle, especially when Newcastle United are at home.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Of course your right about Huddersfield. What I meant to say was Stations on The Huddersfield line.
Without doing any research and going with my gut, the stations where a significant proportion (but not necessarily most) of the usage is down to the Ale Trail would probably be:

Stalybridge
Marsden
Slaithwaite
Dewsbury
Batley

Not sure what the usage is like at Greenfield and Mossley, nor what the pubs are like there. Stalybridge might well show in the figures as it's more likely to be a start/end point than the others. I would guess most revellers go through to Manchester though.

What is almost certainly the case is that the Ale Trail will generate all-day usage at weekends, as opposed to the very peak-oriented use those stations will get on a wet Monday in November.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Without doing any research and going with my gut, the stations where a significant proportion (but not necessarily most) of the usage is down to the Ale Trail would probably be:

Stalybridge
Marsden
Slaithwaite
Dewsbury
Batley

Not sure what the usage is like at Greenfield and Mossley, nor what the pubs are like there. Stalybridge might well show in the figures as it's more likely to be a start/end point than the others. I would guess most revellers go through to Manchester though.

What is almost certainly the case is that the Ale Trail will generate all-day usage at weekends, as opposed to the very peak-oriented use those stations will get on a wet Monday in November.

I'm very fond of the pub in Greenfield. I've spent a few hours in there on the odd Saturday and there's a continual flux of ale trailers coming in with the trains.

Last edited:

ivorytoast28

I was wondering whether there are any stations which have a six or seven days a week service which are busier on a Saturday or Sunday rather than any one of Monday to Friday. So stations served only at the weekend don’t count. So to be extra clear the highest daily passenger count must be on a Saturday or Sunday as opposed to a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and trains must serve the station 6 or 7 days a week.

Possible candidates would be Boxhill and Westhumble (small community, but nearest station to a decent outdoor tourist attraction) and Covent Garden (very busy leisure destination). Not sure whether the stats are available, but would be interested in thoughts.
Something i've always found slightly odd is that the ECML has more Edinburgh/Newcastle - London services on a sunday than other days, but idk if that makes any of the stations on it busier, maybe somewhere like Berwick/Alnmouth that don't really attract short distance commuting unlike the others on like line

BantamMenace

Bescot Stadium
Coventry Arena

I'm sure there are more which are served all week but their primary purpose is stadium related.

mike57

Established Member
Llandudno, Scarborough and the like can be busy at weekends
Are any figures available or can we only speculate?
I use Scarborough regularly, weekend usage is certainly significant, particully during the summer, to be honest Scarborough is one of those stations where apart from really early or late in the day useage seems fairly constant. Pre covid there would be morning commuters to York, then a significant flow through the day using cheaper tickets, then evening return from York. I have been on standing room only trains at lunchtime into Scarborough on most days including weekends in the summer

Jim the Jim

A lot of stations near football grounds may have exceptionally high passengers flows at 17:15 on Saturday once a fortnight between August and May, but that doesn't necessarily mean their average weekend numbers are higher than those for weekdays.

Similarly the effect of weekend tourist traffic at many stations is seasonal and will have a more limited effect on annual averages.

DB

I use Scarborough regularly, weekend usage is certainly significant, particully during the summer, to be honest Scarborough is one of those stations where apart from really early or late in the day useage seems fairly constant. Pre covid there would be morning commuters to York, then a significant flow through the day using cheaper tickets, then evening return from York. I have been on standing room only trains at lunchtime into Scarborough on most days including weekends in the summer

The Scarboroughs are normally horrendous every day in August, outbound until late morning, then the same the other way from mid/late afternoon - when I was having to go to Bridlington for work periodically I'd sometimes go the long way via Hull as the Scarborough trains were so rammed.

gg1

Established Member
Bescot Stadium
Coventry Arena

I'm sure there are more which are served all week but their primary purpose is stadium related.
I doubt Bescot would qualify, Walsall FC don't exactly get huge crowds and the station itself does see a reasonable amount of commuters travelling to New Street.

I'm very fond of the pub in Greenfield. I've spent a few hours in there on the odd Saturday and there's a continual flux of ale trailers coming in with the trains.
The Railway pub in Greenfield is excellent, Ale trailers also go to Uppermill as theres loads of pubs in that village[1 mile from greenfield.].

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Something i've always found slightly odd is that the ECML has more Edinburgh/Newcastle - London services on a sunday than other days, but idk if that makes any of the stations on it busier, maybe somewhere like Berwick/Alnmouth that don't really attract short distance commuting unlike the others on like line
I've noticed that one of the most common tickets that RGS students will have (those that use public transport anyway) are Alnmouth-Metro Zone A seasons. Must be a fair few of them using the train for their commute.

urbophile

Established Member
Underground stations busier on Saturdays than Mon-Fri:

Leicester Square
Piccadilly Circus
Camden Town
Knightsbridge
Covent Garden
Notting Hill Gate
Richmond
Heathrow Terminals 123
Queensway
Hyde Park Corner
Kensington (Olympia)
Heathrow Terminal 4
Cockfosters

Cockfosters a bit of a surprise. The only ones busier on Sunday than Mon-Fri are the two Heathrows (interesting, given its emphasis on business travel).
I'm a bit surprised by Richmond. I know it will attract shoppers and tourists at weekends, but I'd have thought there was a substantial commuting and residential community that would use it during the week. I'm not challenging the figures, just surprised. (Btw, are the figures just for the District line services or do they include SWT and LO as well?)

Clip

Established Member
I'm guessing people flock to Richmond at a weekend to bolster those numbers for the parks and that

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Isn't Coventry Arena skip-stopped (this in normal times, obviously) immediately after events which have taken place at the stadium, so as to try to prevent overcrowding?
I don't know what happens on football match days but there is no skip stopping on rugby match days. I know because I've used the train after the match on a few occasions.

davetheguard

Established Member
A few of the least busy stations on the Exeter to Barnstaple line have a better service on Sundays than on any other day, so presumably they'd be slightly busier on that day as a result. Having said that when I got off at Chapelton one Sunday morning, the Guard said he had never stopped at this request stop before! He did admit to being quite new to the job though...

3..JPGDSC00005.JPGDSC00006.JPG

bramling

Veteran Member
A few of the least busy stations on the Exeter to Barnstaple line have a better service on Sundays than on any other day, so presumably they'd be slightly busier on that day as a result. Having said that when I got off at Chapelton one Sunday morning, the Guard said he had never stopped at this request stop before! He did admit to being quite new to the job though...

View attachment 87524View attachment 87525View attachment 87526

Not surprised hardly anyone uses Chapelton - there’s virtually nothing in the surrounding area. It’s almost a private station for the house pictures in the photos.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I don't know what happens on football match days but there is no skip stopping on rugby match days. I know because I've used the train after the match on a few occasions.
Football is no longer played at Coventry Arena but trains were stopping there as normal on Coventry City match days before the Sky Blues left. Coventry City now ground share with Birmingham City at St Andrews. Trains used to make extra stops at Bordesley for both Birmingham and Coventry games but I assume they no longer do so with games being played behind closed doors (apart from the SO 1303 Stratford-upon-Avon to Stourbridge Junction).

davetheguard

Established Member
Not surprised hardly anyone uses Chapelton - there’s virtually nothing in the surrounding area. It’s almost a private station for the house pictures in the photos.

Agreed, I'm not sure why there was ever a station there to be honest; probably for agricultural traffic rather than passengers numbers I suppose. But it is a useful place to get off and go for a walk along the local country lanes - which was why we were there. By the way, the "house" shown in the pictures is the old station building now used, as you say, for residential purposes.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I'd definetley echo that mos of the central core of the Piccadilly Line is used more at the weekend than during the week. Mind you its still really busy during the week. Just at the weekend stations like Covent Garden and Leicester Square have crowds on the level of weekday Holborn, Moorgate, Bank and Tottenham Court Road.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
London Underground's Camden Town has a very high usage on a Sunday (normally), that owing to the design of the station, it is exit only from lunchtime until early evening.

I don't know if nearby Chalk Farm and Mornington Crescent have an increased usage on Sundays as those are the only nearby stations that can be used to enter the Underground system.

Veteran Member
Agreed, I'm not sure why there was ever a station there to be honest; probably for agricultural traffic rather than passengers numbers I suppose.
Yes, it being near the main road and about halfway from Umberleigh to Barnstaple.

Revaulx

The Railway pub in Greenfield is excellent, Ale trailers also go to Uppermill as theres loads of pubs in that village[1 mile from greenfield.].
It has tons of character, but the beer has been deficient in both choice and quality for the past three or so years; probably due to the high turnover of managers.

The pubs in downtown Uppermill are distinctly average. The Wellington in Greenfield, downhill from the station and just past Tesco, is a much better bet.

Even better, if one is up for a 15 minute walk, is Greenfield’s Donkeystone Brewery Tap.

Mikey C

Established Member
Underground stations busier on Saturdays than Mon-Fri:

Cockfosters a bit of a surprise. The only ones busier on Sunday than Mon-Fri are the two Heathrows (interesting, given its emphasis on business travel).
Cockfosters is next to a very nice open space Trent Park, which will get more visitors at the weekend

I imagine that during the week a significant percentage of business travellers use the Heathrow Express, whereas at the weekend there's a higher proportion of leisure travel, more likely to use the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.