• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations forming a cross (with 4 passenger routes from the station)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescars

Established Member
Correct. Nothing to do with signalling as we understand it. Arms vertically upwards is the norm, no orders. If at 45 degrees it is "slow, collect orders from a hoop [both loco and conductor in caboose] and read them as you continue". Horizontal is "Stop here for orders". The actual signals guarding the crossing are a bit further back and unconnected with this, some can be seen in the second photograph. In typical US railroad division of duties, Orders are given out by a Operator from the station, the signals by a Towerman from the adjacent Tower (signalbox).
Many thanks for this clarification. Two nations divided by a common language, as they say! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
I was conceptualising the narrow gauge as being north-south (with the "south" being towards Porthmadog), with the NR as being conceptually east-west (with the "west" going towards Porthmadog). But looking at a map, then yes, at the specific point where the lines meet at that bridge, the actual compass directions are equally well described by your description!

I suppose I was thinking of the general/overall orientation of the lines in that area.
The NR line makes some major wiggles around Penrhyndeudraeth (I was riding through there last month).

zwk500

Veteran Member
Many thanks for this clarification. Two nations divided by a common language, as they say! :D
It's important to remember that the US Railroads operated in a totally different geographic context to UK railways, and operational practices were accordingly different. The US has long sections of 'dark track' even now.

Interestingly on the language point - it's reckoned that US English and Canadian French is closer to what Europeans generally spoke like in the late 1700s, due to the establishment of the colonies around that time.

Taunton

Established Member
A few ‘oldies’ - Highbridge, Sandy, Templecombe, Lydford, Builth Road, Savernake?
I think Highbridge is (was) the only one of these that precisely complies with the question here, with a crossing on the flat and being able to walk on the platforms round the corner within the one station from the WR main line ones to the S&D side at right-angles. There were a range of trap points installed within the S&D platforms to allow trains to enter without impacting on the WR main until they were signalled to cross over.

And being an 'oldie' myself, I suspect I'm one of the few here who actually did the complete layout, on a summer Sunday excursion from Taunton to Burnham. The latter terminus closed to daily passengers in 1952, but continued for such excursions into the 1960s. We went forward over the diamond crossing, reversed over the connecting line, and came forward over the diamond again for Burnham. John Betjeman did the S&D spur as well in a BBC television documentary, now over on Youtube.

Last edited:

vic-rijrode

Another "old one" that may have qualified is Fenny Compton - although the tracks didn't "cross" as such (there was a bridge to the south of the station), the lines were separate. From the 4 platforms one could travel north (west) to Leamington, south to Banbury, East to Towcester and West to Stratford-upon-Avon. 3 of the lines actually still exist - the Oxford Birmingham line and the old Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction line west into Kineton MOD depot - sadly off-linits to intrepid railtours, I believe.

Had the Oxford Rugby line been built in its entirety (there is a stub of an embankment just north of Fenny Compton station site), then possibly this small out of the way station could have seen 5 lines radiating away from it. Railway politics got in the way though.

Last edited:

Rescars

Established Member
As a variation on the OP, there are/were a number of locations where a cross existed for through trains, but stoppers would have to divert to reach the platforms and then reverse to continue onwards. Kingham (Chipping Norton Junction) is one example. No doubt there are/were quite a few others.

Taunton

Established Member
As a variation on the OP, there are/were a number of locations where a cross existed for through trains, but stoppers would have to divert to reach the platforms and then reverse to continue onwards. Kingham (Chipping Norton Junction) is one example. No doubt there are/were quite a few others.
The all-time classic for this has to be, yet again, Limerick Junction, once described as "Where every train has to go through it, or past it, before it can get into it at all". Which was indeed true. The current arrangement is from a partial realignment in the 1980s; before that all main line trains as well, in both directions, had to stop on the main tracks and then reverse into the platform.

Gloster

Established Member
The all-time classic for this has to be, yet again, Limerick Junction, once described as "Where every train has to go through it, or past it, before it can get into it at all". Which was indeed true. The current arrangement is from a partial realignment in the 1980s; before that all main line trains as well, in both directions, had to stop on the main tracks and then reverse into the platform.

I think that it was possible for a train from Limerick to run straight into the Limerick Bay, but that was the only possibility not involving a reversal.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Apologies if I've missed it up thread, but has anyone mentioned Stepney, in Hull?

Stepney had a nice 90-degree level crossing with a Hull Corporation tram route and there were, of course, tram stops immediately adjacent to the station.

Botanic Gardens also had a 90-degree tram level crossing but the tram route immediately split into two routes west of the station, so providing five routes rather than four.

Both rail and tram lines long gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.