• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations in Villages which serve nearby Towns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Not sure if this counts but I’ll say it anyway!
Princes Risborough on the Chiltern Mainline…the station is not located in Princes Risborough…but just outside it in Horsenden!

Next to NO amenities either, certainly not on a Sunday when I was there recently!

It's certainly an odd part of the world as far as mapping is concerned, Saunderton (the village) is just as close to Princes Risborough station as Princes Risborough (the village) is. Saunderton (the railway station) is a good three miles south of the village on the main Wycombe Road, and now has a small settlement built around railway station which I presume is called Saunderton Station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Not sure if this counts but I’ll say it anyway!
Princes Risborough on the Chiltern Mainline…the station is not located in Princes Risborough…but just outside it in Horsenden!

Next to NO amenities either, certainly not on a Sunday when I was there recently!
I tend to wait in The Bird in Hand pub on Station Road!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I was going to mention Taplow which is used at least as much for Burnham as Taplow - I was surprised to see that Burnham is regarded as being a village despite being rather larger than my local town growing up.

Burnham station is handy for the East side of Burnham, but is so far East, it's actually in Slough (where I was in Burnham it was a 20 minute walk to Taplow station or a 40 minute walk to Burnham (as there was no Sunday service to Taplow at the time)).

Ken H

On Moderation
I was going to mention Taplow which is used at least as much for Burnham as Taplow - I was surprised to see that Burnham is regarded as being a village despite being rather larger than my local town growing up.

Burnham station is handy for the East side of Burnham, but is so far East, it's actually in Slough (where I was in Burnham it was a 20 minute walk to Taplow station or a 40 minute walk to Burnham (as there was no Sunday service to Taplow at the time)).
Burnham is very handy for West Slough.

For my first post I’m going to throw in Gleneagles, which as well as serving the hotel and village, also serves as a railhead for the town of Auchterarder.

Llandudno

Established Member
Llanfairpwll for pretty much every town on Anglesey bar Holyhead. Of course, in the main everyone goes to Bangor.
They do, but if every Holyhead train stopped at Llanfairpwll it may prevent numerous car journeys over the two Menai Bridges ?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
For my first post I’m going to throw in Gleneagles, which as well as serving the hotel and village, also serves as a railhead for the town of Auchterarder.
Welcome to the forum, I would agree with you, adding that it is a pretty decent railhead for Crieff.

It's certainly an odd part of the world as far as mapping is concerned, Saunderton (the village) is just as close to Princes Risborough station as Princes Risborough (the village) is. Saunderton (the railway station) is a good three miles south of the village on the main Wycombe Road, and now has a small settlement built around railway station which I presume is called Saunderton Station.
No, Saunderton station seems to be advertised as being in Saunderton and the small village around is just another part of Saunderton it seems, but it's virtually in Bradenham (similarly to what you said) and serves Bradenham/Bledlow Ridge/RAF High Wycombe/Naphill/Walter's Ash.

How about Yeovil Junction Station which is in Sherborne? Whilst Yeovil has Pen Mill station, it serves a completely different route.
Do you mean Stoford/Barwick? Sherborne has its own station 5 miles up the line in the town.

Last edited:

Acfb

Stow station on the Borders line acts as a park and ride for Lauder five miles up the road (although that's not a town) as well as Innerleithen and possibly northern Galashiels.

InOban

Established Member
I'm fairly certain that most of the passengers at Croy live in Cumbernauld. Hence it has a very large car park.

thenorthern

Established Member
Horden station is essentially Peterlee station.

One I never understand is Seamer which is in the town of Eastfield.

sjm77

One I never understand is Seamer which is in the town of Eastfield.
Well it actually lies between Crossgates & Eastfield. Seamer was chosen as the name because there was already a CrossGates railway station in Yorkshire! The Eastfield estate obviously is much more modern.

Similarly 8 miles towards York lies Weaverthorpe LC and closed railway station. it served Sherburn but there were already too many of them so they chose a different village name!

james60059

Historically, there was Elmesthorpe for Barwell and Earl Shilton (the station was a few miles East of Hinckley). Proposals do crop up from time to time for it's reopening however.

Brampton station in Cumbria is in Milton, a village about a mile from Brampton itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.