• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that primarily serve business parks

paulc222

I'm doing some research into stations that are primarily built for business purposes. Reading Green Park springs to mind. What other stations are there like this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
Three more:

Edinburgh Park
Treforest Estate
Wavertree Technology Park

Shimbleshanks

When I used to use Merseyrail regularly a few years ago Brunswick was always very busy with people heading to the Brunswick business park nearby.

Magdalia

Established Member
Cambridge South, currently under construction and due to open in 2025, is primarily to serve the Cambridge Biomedical Campus.

Shimbleshanks

Isn't that new Inverness Airport station also primarily aimed at the adjacent business park rather than air travellers?

sprunt

Does it have to be national rail? If not, Phoenix Park on the Nottingham trams.

steamybrian

Established Member
the closed stations of IBM Halt, Uralite Halt, Ampress Works, Sinfin North and Sinfin Central

D6975

Established Member
IBM was buily to serve IBM surprise surprise. Not in use any more though.

aliceh

White Rose Station is being built primarily to serve the business park (the shopping centre is a secondary consideration)

Dr Hoo

Established Member
‘Business’ has been around for a long time! How about stations like Liverpool Street and Cannon Street?

Magdalia

Established Member
‘Business’ has been around for a long time! How about stations like Liverpool Street and Cannon Street?
Liverpool Street definitely not. It started off as the London Terminus of the Great Eastern Railway, for a century it was the gateway to Europe, and it is still the main station in London for nearly all of Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex.

paulc222

These are great, thanks.

Are there any in the south east? Thanet Parkway is said to be built for the Discovery Park but wouldn't Sandwich station be better for the Discovery Park?

fandroid

Established Member
I'm doing some research into stations that are primarily built for business purposes. Reading Green Park springs to mind. What other stations are there like this?
Winnersh Triangle on the other side of town!

Cambridge South, currently under construction and due to open in 2025, is primarily to serve the Cambridge Biomedical Campus.
Wasn't Cambridge North primarily built to serve the Science Park?

Skiddaw

Winnersh Triangle springs to mind
I was about to say the same. Takes me back to the days when we frequently travelled on the Reading- Waterloo service. I only ever used the station once and that was to collect a jug kettle I'd won in a prize draw (in those days, the Royal Mail sorting office was located there).

The other splendid thing about Winnersh Triangle was singing 'Looking at it from my angle' when you passed it... :)

xotGD

Established Member
Heighington serves Aycliffe Industrial Estate.

MikeWM

Established Member
Wasn't Cambridge North primarily built to serve the Science Park?

I thought that was a large element of the original justification for it, though as a regular user (and personally using it to commute to the Science Park), I don't think it has ended up as such - probably because it is a bit too far away from the Science Park, via one of two very uninspiring (and increasingly poorly-lit, with quite a number of street lights out at the moment) paths.

Most users just seem to be using it as a (leisure) alternative to the main Cambridge station, probably because they live closer and/or because it is easier to get to. And it is increasingly popular and doing rather well. But I'm not convinced it gets the amount of Science Park traffic originally envisaged.

telstarbox

Established Member
New Hythe serves a mostly industrial area, although not offices.

These are great, thanks.

Are there any in the south east? Thanet Parkway is said to be built for the Discovery Park but wouldn't Sandwich station be better for the Discovery Park?
It wasn't built specifically for DP, that's a spin off benefit.

Strathclyder

Established Member
While not it's primary market (and therefore outwith this thread's remit), Singer serves the business park that was built on the site of the former sewing machine factory it was named after. A direct access point exists on the westbound platform.

MadMarsupial

Trafford Park probably used mainly by workers in the local Trafford Park Industrial Park until the end of WW2 but now used mainly by commuters into the centre of Manchester.

JKF

Thorpe Park (Leeds) will serve the business park of the same name, with a bit of housing. When I worked in the park I’d occasionally use Cross Gates plus a five minute bike ride to get there, but some walked.

Kirkstall Forge didn’t appear to have any completed housing when I last visited, so only served a few offices on the site, but that was likely 5 years back so I expect a lot of the residential development is now there.

YorksLad12

Established Member
White Rose Station is being built primarily to serve the business park (the shopping centre is a secondary consideration)
People living nearby in Cottingley and Churwell a distant third (down a valley to a busy main road and up the other side).
Thorpe Park (Leeds) will serve the business park of the same name, with a bit of housing. When I worked in the park I’d occasionally use Cross Gates plus a five minute bike ride to get there, but some walked.

Kirkstall Forge didn’t appear to have any completed housing when I last visited, so only served a few offices on the site, but that was likely 5 years back so I expect a lot of the residential development is now there.
Both of these are interesting. There will be a lot of housing near Thorpe Park, on the old Barnbow site. Kirkstall Forge... the developers pushed for two trains per hour, got them, and then neglected to build the rest of the mini-village development, building flats in the city centre instead. Annoying for me, I was thinking of moving there!

Acfb

I think Edinburgh Gateway possibly counts as it is equidistant from Edinburgh Park for most of the Edinburgh Park offices and some of its usage will be people travelling from Fife etc to commute to Edinburgh Park (as well as tram access to the airport). Also RBS Gogarburn is the next tram stop.

paddy1

Bermuda Park between Nuneaton and Bedworth. Only industrial/business units, retail park, cinema and Premier Inn are nearby.