• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Stations that used to have nearby villages suffixed to the main nameboard which have been removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Three that I know well: Snowdown (in Kent) was called Snowdown & Nonington at one time and Three Oaks (in East Sussex) used to be called Three Oaks & Guestling. There was also Ham Street & Orlestone. However, we still have Chestfield & Swalecliffe and Borough Green & Wrotham still in existence

Why were the latter names removed from Snowdown, Three Oaks and Ore, and what other examples are there around the network?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadMac

Hardly a village, but "Markinch For Glenrothes" was one: it's closer to Glenrothes than the current "Glenrothes with Thornton". Next stop towards Cowdenbeath was "Cardenden for Bowhill". I've mentioned previously that "Houston & Crosslee" was actually in neither, but Brookfield. Others that come to mind are Clarkston & Stamperland and Langside & Newlands.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I did have a look at Bletchley's history and as it turns out, it was once known as 'Bletchley & Fenny Stratford', although I can't find any reference to it being referred to as 'Bletchley for Milton Keynes', (Or words to similar effect) prior to the opening of Milton Keynes Central - If anyone has any more knowledge of this, please enlighten me!

busestrains

On Moderation
Three that I know well: Snowdown (in Kent) was called Snowdown & Nonington at one time and Three Oaks (in East Sussex) used to be called Three Oaks & Guestling. There was also Ham Street & Orlestone. However, we still have Chestfield & Swalecliffe and Borough Green & Wrotham still in existence

Why were the latter names removed from Snowdown, Three Oaks and Ore, and what other examples are there around the network?
I believe that "Ockley" was originally "Ockley & Capel" in the past. I do not know why they renamed it. The previous name was perfect as it is located pretty much exactly half way between these two villages.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Two adjacent ones from West Yorkshire: Denby Dale was formerly Denby Dale and Cumberworth. Shepley used to be Shepley and Shelly.
In the case of the former, Cumberworth is actually two separate villages called Upper and Lower Cumberworth. With the latter, the neighbouring village is actually called Shelley, but the nameboards omitted the second "e".

evotista

On the Uckfield line, Crowborough was for the best part of 90 years plus named as 'Crowborough & Jarvis Brook'. It changed to just 'Crowborough' in 1980.

Welshman

Established Member
Brighouse opened in 1840 as Brighouse for Bradford.
Closed in 1970 as Brighouse for Rastrick.
Reopened in 2000 as Brighouse.

Dr Day

I’m sure it was Cholsey & Moulsford in the 1980s, but only the former now (near Didcot)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not a village, but a City - I’m led to understand that on opening Hatfield was ‘Hatfield for St Albans’.

Llandudno

Established Member
Tal-y-Cafn & Eglwysbach

Renamed Tal-y-Cafn in May 1974, although an old Tal-y-Cafn & Eglwysbach sign remains on the disused platform.

6Gman

Established Member

Many, many examples in the past. I believe British Rail had a policy of reducing to a single name where possible. Not sure of the why - perhaps for clarity? (Or economy?)

In North Wales, for example, there were:

Tal-y-Cafn & Eglwysbach
Llanrwst & Trefriw
Moss & Pentre
Connah's Quay & Shotton
Red Wharf Bay & Benllech

In the Liverpool/ Merseyside area:

Blundellsands & Crosby
Altcar & Hillhouse
Ince & Elton (which, of course, survives)

Moving SE across Cheshire:

Beeston Castle & Tarporley
Mow Cop & Scholar Green
Hartford & Greenbank (since there was also a Hartford just down the road it made sense to just use Greenbank)

calopez

My favourites:

Longfield for Fawkham & Hartley
Farningham Road & Sutton-at-Hone

Two that spring to mind:
Southease & Rodmell Halt is now just Southease
Sittingbourne & Milton Regis is now just Sittingbourne

Springs Branch

Established Member
A couple more in the Merseyside area:-
- Cressington & Grassendale
- Hough Green for Ditton
- Town Green & Aughton

In the Manchester area:-
- Altrincham & Bowdon
- East Didsbury & Parrs Wood
- Farnworth & Halshaw Moor
- Gorton & Openshaw
- Heaton Chapel & Heaton Moor
- Moorside & Wardley

An odd prefix-suffix reversal specimen was Balshaw Lane & Euxton, which closed then was reopened as Euxton Balshaw Lane.
I think Bryn was also, for a shortish time, named Bryn for Ashton-in-Makerfield

krus_aragon

Established Member
Tal-y-Cafn & Eglwysbach

Renamed Tal-y-Cafn in May 1974, although an old Tal-y-Cafn & Eglwysbach sign remains on the disused platform.

There was also (briefly) Llandudno & Llanrwst Junction, shortly after the branch through Tal-y-Cafn opened. That name didn't stick around for very long.

PeterC

Established Member
Boxmoor station became Boxmoor and Hemel Hempstead in 1912, had the names reversed in 1930 and dropped Boxmoor in 1963

Status
Not open for further replies.