• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations (with 3+ platforms) where you have to leave the station to change platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
There must be shed loads of 2-platform stations where you have to leave the station to change platforms,

But what if-any 3+ platform stations are there that fall into this category?

Cheadle Hulme used to be split into three seperate sections (platform 1, platform 2/3 and platform 4) each with seperate access from the street, but they added a footbridge as part of disabled access works.
Liskeard seems to require crossing the access road to a small industrial park to get from the mainline platforms to the Looe platform.

Any others that people can think of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Stockport has no access to platform 0 from the other platforms without exiting the ticket gates - although you don't actually leave the station building.

zwk500

Veteran Member
You don't have to leave the station as such but isn't platform 0 at Cardiff Central outside the main ticket barrier?

jfollows

Established Member
Trafford Bar (formerly Old Trafford) on Metrolink as I discovered to my cost when changing from the airport line towards Sale. On the way back I changed at Cornbrook.

plugwash

Established Member
In which case Marsden would also count, for the same reasons (except it's a road and overbridge at Marsden rather than a road underneath).
Yup, looks like it has three temperate enterances similar to how cheadle hulme used to be except the road is on top rather than underneath.

vlad

Platform 4 at Penzance is situated outside the trainshed, although access to the platform is adjacent to the main entrance to the station. Does that count?

plugwash

Established Member
An interesting related question is how to find out what is or is-not part of a station.

I'm generally working on the assumption that a footbridge or underpass is part of the station (even if it is also open to the public), but a road bridge or road underpass is not. I don't know if there is any way to find out what infrastructure is technically part of the station though.

zwk500

Veteran Member
An interesting related question is how to find out what is or is-not part of a station.

I'm generally working on the assumption that a footbridge or underpass is part of the station (even if it is also open to the public), but a road bridge or road underpass is not. I don't know if there is any way to find out what infrastructure is technically part of the station though.
Where there's a gateline I'd generally use that as the dividing line. Where there's not then I'd say it's where the railway property boundary lies.

gc4946

Cross Gates, you have to cross a nearby road bridge to reach the opposite platform since the footbridge was removed years ago

plugwash

Established Member
Platform 4 at Penzance is situated outside the trainshed, although access to the platform is adjacent to the main entrance to the station. Does that count?
If that was the only way between platform 4 and the rest of the stationt the question would be whether the small patch of land between the two entrances is part of the station or not. It's not clearly part of the stationt but it's also not clearly *not* part of the station.

I took a look at the land registry map but it seems to bear little resemblance to what is on the ground. the small patch of ground appears to be in the same plot as much of the station, but it's also in the same plot as the bus station.

However platforms 3 and 4 are directly connected to each other beyond the end of the trainshed anyway. https://www.google.com/maps/@50.122...k-no-pi-0-ya35.77795-ro-0-fo100!7i8192!8i4096

Where there's a gateline I'd generally use that as the dividing line.
There are plenty of places though where you have to pass through one or more gatelines to travel between platforms, but you clearly remain within the station building. Sometimes with only a subset of the platforms being behind barriers

London Euston
London Kings Cross
London St Pancras
Liverpool Lime Street
Stockport

There is also the more borderline cases though like Stevenage where you have to use a foorbridge that is outside the gateline, outside the main station building and open to the public to cross the tracks before heading down towards the platform 5 gateline. I'd be very surprised if said footbridge is not railway property though.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Does Retford count? You don't have to cross the ticket line, but platforms 3/4 are separated from 1/2 by some distance.

plugwash

Established Member
It does look like a fair old walk, but it's pretty clearly inside the station so no.

plugwash

Established Member
Does keighley count?
Afaict you can get between all platforms at Keithly without leaving the station, there is a footbirge linking platforms 1 and 2, another footbridge linking 2 and 4 and an underpass linking platforms 4 and 3.

There is no direct access between 2 and 3, presumablly because the KWVR want to supervise entry/exit from their part of the station.

Last edited:

david_g

Controversially....

The A end of New Street:D

Whether the area between the gatelines is a station or a shopping centre is open to discussion, but let's not.

ls2270

Established Member
At Oxted (3 platforms) and Walton On Thames (2 platforms) the only way between the two sides of the station is through a public subway outside the gateline

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Birkbeck nowadays, to change between Southern and Tramlink you have to leave the mainline platform, walk underneath the bridge alongside the A214 and back up a set of stairs. Not sure if this was the case pre-Tramlink, guessing there may have been a barrow crossing at the west end?

adc82140

Established Member
Liskeard. The Looe branch platform is a weird 90 degrees from the rest of the station, across a bit of the car park.

Croy & Coatbridge Sunnyside. Cross platforms by means of road bridge. Although Croy in process of receiving a footbridge.

Calthrop

Established Member
On the Lichfield -- Birmingham -- Redditch route: for sure, Erdington and Chester Road -- I strongly suspect others too -- two platforms, "up" and "down"; to get between them, you need to go down stairs or sloping access-way, under rail-over-road bridge, and up again the other side.

DanNCL

Established Member
Any station with platforms staggered across a level crossing. Two examples in the North East on the national network are Wylam and Heighington. If Metro were included also Fawdon and Kingston Park. Additionally on Metro Ilford Road requires a long detour via a road bridge to change between platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.