• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Stations with Wetherspoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The Duke of York is not a Wetherspoon's pub.
Is the Duke of York the one on York Station Concourse near the Scarborough Bay Platforms, that housed a model railway some time ago.?

You do find with Wetherspoons, that prices can vary depending on location and sometimes if there are more than one in a town or city, then one may be cheaper than the other.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Is the Duke of York the one on York Station Concourse near the Scarborough Bay Platforms, that housed a model railway some time ago.?

You do find with Wetherspoons, that prices can vary depending on location and sometimes if there are more than one in a town or city, then one may be cheaper than the other.
No. That's the York tap, The Duke of York is in the booking jall area opposite the old ticket office.

scrapy

Established Member
Barking has one almost immediately next door to the main entrance.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
If we're including the immediate vicinity then Victoria has 2 - the Willow Walk is a 15 second walk from the side entrance.
Well if we're including the immediate vicinity, Bingham in Nottinghamshire has a Wetherspoons on Station Street, less than a minute's walk from the platform.

Also the Waggon & Horses at Chapeltown (Sheffield) is at the foot of the stairs from the Sheffield-bound platform.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
There's one right outside Cutty Sark DLR station.

And a slight cheat in that The Moon Under Water in Watford occupies the location where the Metropolitan Railway's Watford terminus was originally planned to be!

Whilst not ‘on’ the station, if you come out of Carlisle Station, turn right onto Botchergate and you have two by the time you’ve walked a couple of hundred metres - Lloyds and Woodrow Wilson’s

BurtonM

Todmorden has a Wetherspoons at the bottom of the station approach road.
You could argue that Meadowhall and Metrocentre are stations with 'spoons... just on a very large retail concourse!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Whilst not ‘on’ the station, if you come out of Carlisle Station, turn right onto Botchergate and you have two by the time you’ve walked a couple of hundred metres - Lloyds and Woodrow Wilson’s
In fact there is, or was, a footpath on the right hand side of the road when you come out of Carlisle Railway Station that goes past the acks of those pubs, you just walk through the rear outside seating area into the rear area of the pubs. Saves a few of minutes, which is handy if you are on a tight schedule. I have been to the Woodrow Wilson on a number of times, especially when on steam or diesel rail charters etc.

There’s a Pret & Sainsbury’s there now 8-)
That's useful to know.

Matt_pool

If you go out of the side entrance at Bristol Temple Meads there's the Knights Templar Wetherspoons a 2 minute walk away.

There was also a McColls convenience store that you walked past but sadly it's closed down. It had a much bigger and cheaper range of drinks and snacks than any of the places actually inside the station.

I know that the North Western spoons at Lime Street station has already been mentioned, but if you go out the other side of the station and cross Lime Street you'll find the Blacklers spoons. The drinks there are actually cheaper than the North Western.

The North Western can also get very busy because a lot of people go there before going to the Empire theatre next door. I actually walked in the North Western yesterday and walked straight back out because it was rammed, and it was only 3.30pm.

Llandudno

Established Member
If you go out of the side entrance at Bristol Temple Meads there's the Knights Templar Wetherspoons a 2 minute walk away.

There was also a McColls convenience store that you walked past but sadly it's closed down. It had a much bigger and cheaper range of drinks and snacks than any of the places actually inside the station.

I know that the North Western spoons at Lime Street station has already been mentioned, but if you go out the other side of the station and cross Lime Street you'll find the Blacklers spoons. The drinks there are actually cheaper than the North Western.

The North Western can also get very busy because a lot of people go there before going to the Empire theatre next door. I actually walked in the North Western yesterday and walked straight back out because it was rammed, and it was only 3.30pm.
I think most Wetherspoons in Liverpool are pretty busy from lunchtime onwards on Fridays!

There is an excellent Wetherspoons directly opposite the main entrance to Liverpool James Street Station.
It also boasts a large rooftop garden/terrace - great in the summer!

It also gets very busy as 5 minutes walk from Albert Dock and Liverpool Arena

dk1

Veteran Member
I think most Wetherspoons in Liverpool are pretty busy from lunchtime onwards on Fridays!

There is an excellent Wetherspoons directly opposite the main entrance to Liverpool James Street Station.
It also boasts a large rooftop garden/terrace - great in the summer!
I’m staying in Liverpool especially to tick that one off and another new one in the area next week. Popping into the North Western at Lime St is a must always. What an improvement on the hideous Head of Steam that went before it.

duncanp

Established Member
Todmorden has a Wetherspoons at the bottom of the station approach road.
You could argue that Meadowhall and Metrocentre are stations with 'spoons... just on a very large retail concourse!

The Brindley Place tram stop in Birmingham is very handy for the Figure of Eight, as is the Bull Street tram stop for the Square Peg

Geoff DC

I would have thought it would make more sense to have Spoons at Bus Stations where travel is free to most of Spoon's clientele
Spoons at Station are obviously going to charge higher prices as they know there is no such thing as Free Train Travel ??

dk1

Veteran Member
I would have thought it would make more sense to have Spoons at Bus Stations where travel is free to most of Spoon's clientele
Spoons at Station are obviously going to charge higher prices as they know there is no such thing as Free Train Travel ??

I am really struggling to understand whether you are joking or not.

Geoff DC

I only have Penzance Spoons to go on - probably the worst spoons in the UK and takes up the slack from social services.
I do understand that not all Spoons are so awful - some are exceedingly good, hence my observation.

The Milecastle on Westgate Road in Newcaste is the nearest to Newcastle station - a couple of hundred yards or so. The Union Rooms, once a huge Spoons visible from the station, is no longer part of Tim's estate, and has changed hands twice.

I agree, Geoff.Recently in the William Webb Ellis, Twickenham (my home town). Very good pint £2.29 (£1.79 with a CAMRA 50p voucher). The other pubs I had real ale in were all north of a fiver.

dk1

Veteran Member
I only have Penzance Spoons to go on - probably the worst spoons in the UK and takes up the slack from social services.
I do understand that not all Spoons are so awful - some are exceedingly good, hence my observation.

That explains things a little better. Penzance was probably my biggest disappointment when first heading to the West Country many moons ago & I can’t say my opinion has changed over the years. Only maybe Newquay surpasses it in my opinion of destinations never to revisit.

Geoff DC

That explains things a little better. Penzance was probably my biggest disappointment when first heading to the West Country many moons ago & I can’t say my opinion has changed over the years. Only maybe Newquay surpasses it in my opinion of destinations never to revisit.
Agree Newquay is the pits.
We get lots of complaints about the unkempt Northerners congregating across the road from PZ spoons as they digest their latest consignment from Afghanistan, BUT we do remind people that it stops property prices from going through the roof and discourages property owners from evicting local families to make room for Airb&nb visitors.

unlevel42

The Rawson Spring off Hillsborough platform and The Bankers' Draft off Castle Square platform on Sheffield Supertram.

Wolfie

Established Member
London Victoria
One inside and another literally outside the side exit.

A slight twist on the question. I have been to the Aberystwyth one, great place to wait for a train and typically good Spoons prices. However the one at London Victoria despite being Wetherspoons seems to be normal London pub prices and expensive. Other Wetherspoons in London away from the stations do seem to be cheaper. So my question is, do the Wetherspoons at stations have typical Wetherspoons prices ??
Central London (roughly zone one but there are exceptions e.g. Docklands) Spoons are markedly dearer than other Spoons but still cheaper than their area rivals. Most stuff in the London terminus Spoons is the same price as their other central London pubs.

Re your second para absolutely. For example the one nearer the tube in Hammersmith is dearer than the other one. Perhaps uncoincidentally many of the pubs Spoons are looking to sell are duplicates and often the worst located of the two.

Last edited:
#54 In my drinking days in my twenties, Geoff, the Patch was a Watney's pub... enough said. OK now, though.

There is/was a decent one near Farringdon Station. Can't remember the name but a bit medieval.

Also - The Admiral of the Humber, very close to Hull Paragon. Also a Spoons hotel, of which I approve.

Benters

If we're including the immediate vicinity then Victoria has 2 - the Willow Walk is a 15 second walk from the side entrance.
Have visited the Willow Walk several times during my marathon-running days. Our running club used to stay at a hotel overlooking Victoria Station for the London Marathon. We used to
go to the Willow Walk for our post-marathon evening meal and drinking session.

Status
Not open for further replies.