• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Stations with Wetherspoons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
And many of the buildings, while run down, are actually stunning pieces of architecture, well worth preserving and exploiting
Yes Indeed, I have been to the Wetherspoons in Royal Tunbridge Wells, it used to be a theatre and they renovated it in such a way, that they can and did, maybe still do, hold a couple of performances there per year. They also have one in Cardiff that was a theatre, the Prince of Wales I think, not sure if they could still hold shows there or not? I like these type of renovated buildings. I'd like to go to the one in Keswick, which was an old police station and or court house?

Llandudno

Established Member
Yes Indeed, I have been to the Wetherspoons in Royal Tunbridge Wells, it used to be a theatre and they renovated it in such a way, that they can and did, maybe still do, hold a couple of performances there per year. They also have one in Cardiff that was a theatre, the Prince of Wales I think, not sure if they could still hold shows there or not? I like these type of renovated buildings. I'd like to go to the one in Keswick, which was an old police station and or court house?
Is the Wetherspoons at Keswick the furthest away from a National Rail station?

dk1

Veteran Member

I would doubt that. It’s not that far really. Loads of others around the country as or more remote from a station. It all adds to the fun of ticking them as a hobby.

Fraserburgh must be a contender.

Last edited:

Jimini

Established Member
The Full House in Hemel Hempstead is a good example of this. As the name suggests, it used to be a Bingo hall. Quite a quirky, impressive pub now!

Mikey C

Established Member
The Art Deco "The Coronet" on Holloway Road (near the tube station) is a lovely former 1940s cinema

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
They also have one in Cardiff that was a theatre, the Prince of Wales I think, not sure if they could still hold shows there or not?
It is the Prince of Wales; I was in there a few nights ago! Although the back rows of seats and some of the boxes are still there (albeit the former are inaccessible as far as I know), the former stage isn't there any more. It became a cinema after the theatre closed and it may have been removed then but., although you can see where it would have been, it's not there now.

At one time, it was the second biggest Wetherspoons pub in the UK, after the Moon Under Water in Deansgate, Manchester (itself a former cinema), although I don't know if this is still the case. It's around the corner from Central Station, although there is a nearer one, the Great Western.

bishdunster

The Duke of Wellington in Minehead must be a contender, 22 miles from Taunton, or as the estate agents adverts will tell you only 17 miles from Rhoose, (unfortunately the other side of the Bristol Channel and a good 2 hour drive) :rolleyes: !!!

DelW

Established Member
The Duke of Wellington in Minehead must be a contender, 22 miles from Taunton, or as the estate agents adverts will tell you only 17 miles from Rhoose, (unfortunately the other side of the Bristol Channel and a good 2 hour drive) :rolleyes: !!!
At one time (and possibly still?), the Wetherspoons website used to ignore the intervening Bristol Channel when showing the closest pubs to places in North Devon.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I see what you mean, in fact, the old station building is incorporated into a hotel in Keswick and that is not too far from the Wetherspoons there. :D

It is the Prince of Wales; I was in there a few nights ago! Although the back rows of seats and some of the boxes are still there (albeit the former are inaccessible as far as I know), the former stage isn't there any more. It became a cinema after the theatre closed and it may have been removed then but., although you can see where it would have been, it's not there now.

At one time, it was the second biggest Wetherspoons pub in the UK, after the Moon Under Water in Deansgate, Manchester (itself a former cinema), although I don't know if this is still the case. It's around the corner from Central Station, although there is a nearer one, the Great Western.
Yes, I will try the Great Western next time I am in Cardiff.
I think the largest Wetherspoons in the UK is at Ramsgate in Kent, there is also a large one in Blackpool.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It looks like there are nine Wetherspoon pubs in Wales in places without stations.

In alphabetical order, they are: Abertillery, Blackwood, Brecon, Caernarfon, Holywell, Mold, Monmouth, Ruthin and Tredegar. I've looked at a web site, and I'd say that the furthest of these from a station would be Brecon, which is around 20 miles from Abergavenny.

It's not as far as Taunton to Minehead, though - the same web site says that it's 24 miles!

Yes, I will try the Great Western next time I am in Cardiff.
I think the largest Wetherspoons in the UK is at Ramsgate in Kent, there is also a large one in Blackpool.
It's quite good, but avoid the weekends or if there's anything on in Cardiff, because it's very busy then!

I haven't been to the ones in Ramsgate or Blackpool, but I've read about them and I know they're pretty big.

At one time (and possibly still?), the Wetherspoons website used to ignore the intervening Bristol Channel when showing the closest pubs to places in North Devon.
It says that the Sir Samuel Romilly in Barry is 15.9 miles away!

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
I've been to all the massive Spoons mentioned in this thread, Manchester, Blackpool, Cardiff and Ramsgate :D

The Ramsgate one (Royal Victoria Pavilion) didn't stick in my mind for its size, as while it covers a large area it doesn't have the impressive height inside that many of the theatre conversions have.

Wolfie

Established Member
It still does... Not as extreme but if you try looking for the nearest Spoons in Essex, e.g. in Thurrock, it will quote you locations in Kent while ignoring the Thames....

Spoons were going to convert a large art deco former cinema in Grays into a pub - it would have been less than 5 mins from the station - but have now scrapped their plans and it is up for sale.

Last edited:

Enthusiast

Wethers say it is their largest. I go there quite often and watched, over the years, the building go from a seaside "Winter Gardens" type of place, to being deserted, then a trashy nightclub, then again deserted and finally almost derelict. It was excellent news when I learned (from a barman in "The Mechanical Elephant" in Margate) that 'Spoons had taken it over. The renovation is superb and it is run very well. Ramsgate needed it badly. It is extremely pleasant to sit on the outside balcony in the summer overlooking the harbour and the sea. Wetherspoons bought the building for £1 - and spent £4.5m renovating it. It is, however, some distance from Ramsgate railway station (as just about everything in Ramsgate is). But there is always the excellent Thanet "Loop" bus service.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Wethers say it is their largest. I go there quite often and watched, over the years, the building go from a seaside "Winter Gardens" type of place, to being deserted, then a trashy nightclub, then again deserted and finally almost derelict. It was excellent news when I learned (from a barman in "The Mechanical Elephant" in Margate) that 'Spoons had taken it over. The renovation is superb and it is run very well. Ramsgate needed it badly. It is extremely pleasant to sit on the outside balcony in the summer overlooking the harbour and the sea. Wetherspoons bought the building for £1 - and spent £4.5m renovating it. It is, however, some distance from Ramsgate railway station (as just about everything in Ramsgate is). But there is always the excellent Thanet "Loop" bus service.
Thanks for that, yes Ramsgate Station is along way from the town centre.

Sheridan

It looks like there are nine Wetherspoon pubs in Wales in places without stations.

In alphabetical order, they are: Abertillery, Blackwood, Brecon, Caernarfon, Holywell, Mold, Monmouth, Ruthin and Tredegar. I've looked at a web site, and I'd say that the furthest of these from a station would be Brecon, which is around 20 miles from Abergavenny.

I believe Brecon is a few miles nearer to Cilmeri and other stations on the Heart of Wales line than Abergavenny, but still probably the furthest.

BingMan

I'd like to go to the one in Keswick, which was an old police station and or court house?
The Chief \Justice of the Common Pleas.
Last time I went there they turned me away because they were holding a trial

Keswick is 17 miles from Penrith Railway Station

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I believe Brecon is a few miles nearer to Cilmeri and other stations on the Heart of Wales line than Abergavenny, but still probably the furthest.
You could be right; I just looked at the major places, not the small villages.

FenMan

Established Member
The Coronation Hall is just over 100yds from Surbiton station.

scrapy

Established Member
Enniskillen had a Wetherspoons until 2016. 40 miles from nearest station in Sligo. 54 miles to Derry for nearest station in same country. (Distances by road)

Meole

The Chief \Justice of the Common Pleas.
Last time I went there they turned me away because they were holding a trial

Keswick is 17 miles from Penrith Railway Station
Being turned away you were lucky, poor service, items missed off meals, too easy with all the crowds in the town.

E27007

The Capitol, a high-end formerly a Art-Deco Cinema is only 100 yards from Forest Hill Railway Station in South London

Russel

Interesting comment about Torquay, I was thinking of going there in the New Year and had looked at the Green Ginger, I should have thought that anywhere in Torquay would have been ok, is the The London Inn-Yates any good? I have been to the Wetherspoons in Paignton some time ago, but not yet the Brixham Wetherspoons where I was also thinking of visiting whilst in that area.

The Green Ginger is the only Wetherspoons I've ever asked for a refund and walked out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.