• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Things you saw travelling by bus or coach that you don't see today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alangla

It was the 52 plate tri axles that had them , only seen them use it once on night service on 66. Yeah Lothian had or still has the,
Sorry, I knew it was something with 3 axles and air con!
Any idea if those 52 plates are still running somewhere?

philthetube

Established Member
Signs saying the Children, travelling at less than adult fare must not occupy a seat while adult passengers are standing.

Beemax

The ticket machines used at least in Southampton in the 1970s which used to take a photocopy of the actual coins you put in, leading to competitions over who could get the longest tickets by putting the most half pence coins in.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Buses with centre exit doors (AFAIK only London still has them; everywhere else uses the front door for both entrance and exit)
Reading Buses’ fleet of Enviro 400 City vehicles on route 17 are dual door.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Standees on coaches, the last coaches up here which legally permitted Standees were the Plaxton Interurbans. Since then it's a thing of the past.

- 70mph actually being legal on motorways
It still is provided the vehicle is 12 Metres or less. Most modern buses are limited to 63MPH.

- Paper strips stuck on the inside of the windscreen in the absence of a suitable destination blind / hand-painted destination boards
Bain's Coaches still do this!...

- Dodge S56s (thank ****)

709D's!!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

709s were considerably better than stuff like 608s and eons ahead of Dodge S56s - one of the very worst vehicles ever turfed onto stage carriage work!!

Other stuff:

Shop at Binns adverts on buses across the North East (and also Humberside)
Keep Britain Tidy logos on Used Tickets bins
The National double N logo
Large rambling central works (like Merseyside's Edge Lane)
Drivers and conductors with PSV badges that had to be legally displayed (red edge for drivers, green for conductors)
NBC brown vinyl seats

Statto

Established Member
Dedicated express routes, buses with dual purpose seating & separate liveries from the main fleet, like Greater Manchester had, with GM Buses Express, & virtually every town in the GM area had an express route.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Buses with centre exit doors (AFAIK only London still has them; everywhere else uses the front door for both entrance and exit)
The new 100 seat buses that Lothian are getting have double doors. It’s only these buses that’ll have them in Edinburgh - every other bus will still have a single door.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Edinburgh Corporation (and doubtless other municipalities) had them until about the 1970s, but now Lothians new 100 seaters are turning the wheel full circle.
Dual-doors lasted in Edinburgh much later than the 70s. Having done a quick search on Buslists, it would seem that the last ones were delivered in 2001.

Mal

Dual-doors lasted in Edinburgh much later than the 70s. Having done a quick search on Buslists, it would seem that the last ones were delivered in 2001.
Thanks! I didn't realise it was so recent. I should have known, but don't get back to my roots in Edinburgh too often.

route101

Established Member

When were double doors stopped in Edinburgh? I remember them on LOs

Dai Corner

Established Member
Cigarette stubbers on the back of seats and butts on the floor where smoking was permitted and No Smoking signs elsewhere.

Tickets tucked into the gap between seat back and trim

Lockable compartments for parcels / drivers' bags.

route101

Established Member
Sorry, I knew it was something with 3 axles and air con!
Any idea if those 52 plates are still running somewhere?

Not sure , i think they went down south for school work . They had pretty uncomfortable seats

PeterC

Established Member
On London buses at least a single bell push on the upper deck. On an RT or RM you had to walk to the top of the stairs before you could even indicate that you wanted to get off at a request stop.

MotCO

Established Member
A substantial Green Line network in London. I always felt an air of superiority on a coach as it overtook buses at bus stops full of 'plebs'!

Skutter

Simple bench seats seem to be a thing of the past, at least where I live. Even the city buses are individual seats now (though paired)

Also used to allow "three to a seat" on school runs to cram more kids on board.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
London - three bells from the conductor, bus full, don't stop (even at 'compulsory' stops.) Cue person halfway down the stairs ''oy, I wanted that stop!''

philthetube

Established Member
London - three bells from the conductor, bus full, don't stop (even at 'compulsory' stops.) Cue person halfway down the stairs ''oy, I wanted that stop!''

Not Just London, used to be on Burnley and Pendle, amd, I suspect everywhere else with conductors.

MedwayValiant

I do remember the days of three to a seat intended for two on school buses. A parent at my primary school "helpfully" wrote to the Head pointing out that it was illegal, and as a result the cost of school trips had to be put up quite substantially.

But I also my remember my first ever trip to Scotland, which was in 1989. While the default single deck bus in England at that time was still the Leyland National, in Scotland it was another model that wasn't quite the same shape. (I'm sure someone here will know precisely what it was.) Anyway, some of those had the seats arranged 3 + 2; the first time I encountered this was on Highland Scottish as it was at the time. Whether the vehicle was wider, the aisle was narrower, or Scottish people were thinner than English people, I don't know.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I do remember the days of three to a seat intended for two on school buses. A parent at my primary school "helpfully" wrote to the Head pointing out that it was illegal, and as a result the cost of school trips had to be put up quite substantially.

But I also my remember my first ever trip to Scotland, which was in 1989. While the default single deck bus in England at that time was still the Leyland National, in Scotland it was another model that wasn't quite the same shape. (I'm sure someone here will know precisely what it was.) Anyway, some of those had the seats arranged 3 + 2; the first time I encountered this was on Highland Scottish as it was at the time. Whether the vehicle was wider, the aisle was narrower, or Scottish people were thinner than English people, I don't know.

I imagine it was an Alexander Y type Leopard - the SBG weren’t known for their customer focused specifications!

PeterC

Established Member
And the conductor giving two thumps on the sill of the upstairs front window rather than walk all the way back to the single upper deck bell.

I can't remember, did the RTs have a passenger bell push on the platform? I know there was one at the top of the stairs and one in the cubby hole under the stairs for the conductor and the string the length of the lower saloon.

MedwayValiant

I imagine it was an Alexander Y type Leopard - the SBG weren’t known for their customer focused specifications!

Yes. I've just looked at a couple of photos of Alexander Y Types, and that is precisely the model I had in mind. The thing I particularly remember was the destination blind, which was a completely different shape from the destination blinds I grew up with.

I'm reading that the vast majority of these vehicles went to the SBG, although there were a few operators in the north of England who used them too. IIRC, Universitybus (Hatfield) had one or two of them as well, in its early days when the buses were white with black lettering.

Status
Not open for further replies.