• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Things you used to see on the Paris Metro that you don't see today

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
There have already been threads on things that you used to see on BR, the London Underground, mainland European railways and UK buses that you don't see today, and I thought the Paris Metro warranted a thread of its own. How many things can you think of that you used to see on the Paris Metro that you no longer see today?

Here are a few to start with:

First class cars (which I think were abolished on the Metro in 1991 and on the RER and SNCF suburban services in Greater Paris in 1999)

Portillons automatiques - Automatic gates at platform entrances that closed each time a train arrived and opened as soon as the train had left, to stop people from getting on the train at the last minute and thereby preventing overcrowding (some stations still had these in situ in the mid to late 1980s when I first went to Paris, but I don't think they were still in use by then - I believe that they largely fell out of use by about the 1970s and were latterly used only in peak hours)

Manual ticket inspectors ("poinçonneurs/-euses") at platform entrances and old-style non-encoded tickets until the early 1970s when magnetic stripe tickets and automatic ticket gates were introduced. (You still occasionally see teams of inspectors doing manual checks in the passageways and by the station exit doors, though.)

Overhead wires (I believe that these were for use by works trains rather than passenger trains - again still in situ on some lines and at some stations in the 1980s)

Dubo - Dubon - Dubonnet adverts on station platforms.

Sprague stock trains which had:

At least two guards per train, one of whom would blow a horn to warn passengers that the doors were about to close (instead of the high-pitched hum of today)
Tungsten interior lighting
Wooden seats in 2nd class and leather seats in 1st
Green livery for 2nd class and red for 1st.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SHD

Series of incandescent light bulbs affixed approx 2m high on tunnel sidewalls, replaced in the 1990s by fluorescent lights (although they may have been left in place in some service tunnels).
Advertising directly painted on/affixed to tunnel sidewalls (Dubo, dubon, dubonnet but also for cable TV in the 1990s). Traces may remain here and there.
Waiting times with a 10-second precision on Line 14.
Works trains hauled by repurposed and transformed Sprague motor cars.
Actually running Sprague trainsets. The "heritage" Sprague trainset is still able to move on its own and is used for static exhibitions, but it is no longer allowed to run with passengers inside due to whatever regulation.
(A peculiarity of Sprague stock: it was never fitted with a speed indicator...)
Brown leatherette seats on MF67 and MP73 rolling stock.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The "heritage" Sprague trainset is still able to move on its own and is used for static exhibitions, but it is no longer allowed to run with passengers inside due to whatever regulation.
If I remember properly, that's to do with a minor derailment on one of the inter-line connections when some procedures weren't being followed correctly.

Beebman

Some of the Sprague sets were painted grey for 2nd and red for 1st, indeed the last time I ever rode on a Sprague was on a grey set on Line 9 in July 1981. Also I recall that the Sprague stock had a strange 'electrical' smell.

The MF67 and MP73 stock originally had a cream livery for the 1st class cars and the MP55 had mixed 1st/2nd class cars partly in blue and partly in cream.

TRAX

Established Member
Overhead wires (I believe that these were for use by works trains rather than passenger trains - again still in situ on some lines and at some stations in the 1980s)

There’s never been any overhead wires anywhere on the Paris Metro network.

The MF67 and MP73 stock originally had a cream livery for the 1st class cars and the MP55 had mixed 1st/2nd class cars partly in blue and partly in cream.

Not the MP 73s. These just had a yellow band on the standard blue and cream livery to signify the first class car.

SHD

There’s never been any overhead wires anywhere on the Paris Metro network.

Yes there has. The Nord-Sud lines were built with an intricate electrification system: a +600 V overhead catenary and a -600 V third rail. This power supply infrastructure was converted by CMP after the 1931 merger (*). But remnants of the catenary were very much visible until the 1970s-1980s in Line 12 & 13 stations, and it is very well possible that traces remain today such as anchor points in the vault.

On this 1910 picture, the pantograph is clearly visible: https://amtuir.org/04_htu_metro_par...es/84278_cmp_1910_ateliers_vaugirard_ratp.htm
Other pictures on this webpage: http://reseau.nord-sud.pagesperso-orange.fr/materiel_roulant.htm
Notably Saint-Lazare Line 12 in the 1950s with the catenary holding frames clearly visible.

(*) It is quite possible that OHL subsisted at the Vaugirard depot and works until the retirement of Nord-Sud Sprague trains. See this page with pictures of the now disused level crossing on Rue Desnouettes, with the OHL mast clearly visible: http://pietondeparis.canalblog.com/archives/2011/04/06/20828912.html

AY1975

Established Member
Brown leatherette seats on MF67 and MP73 rolling stock.
And green ones in 1st class as I recall - I never used a 1st class ticket on the Metro, but 1st class fares latterly only applied between 09.00 and 17.00, and outside these hours the 1st class cars were open to all passengers.

SHD

Yes indeed. As a Frenchman, it has always struck me as an oddity that 1st class on the Paris métro almost survived the USSR! (Note that it was temporary abolished after WWII when loads were absolutely crushing but was reinstated at the end of the 50s). In a country that is known for a somewhat stubborn dedication to equality, at that!

If I’m not mistaken, 1st class on the London Underground only existed on the Metropolitan and was abolished during WWII, and no other major metro system ever operated or still operates with a first and a second class with the exception of HK.

Taunton

Established Member
Sliding doors (on the Sprague trains) that could be opened between stations. Presumably they used to be hand-worked, then air cylinders just to close them (still hand-opened) were added, which could be seen through the window glass. These pushed the doors closed for departure, but could be seen to withdraw after about 10 seconds. Approaching the next station they would operate again, to hold the doors until released on stopping.

We first visited in the 1970s, and were initially amazed that in the summer heat passengers, commonly fellow students, would open the odd door again once released and let a welcome air draught in, also then acting as surrogate guards to ensure nobody fell out while the train rumbled along at about 20-25mph. After a few days we were doing this ourselves!

For the grey Sprague cars (matériel gris I think), they were apparently long on one of the lines (12?), but towards the end got mixed up with others, so it ended up with multi-colour red, green and grey trains.

Also recall the last train of the night, which seemed to come late and then ran at considerable speed, with hard braking and 5-second station stops, the bruiteur being sounded almost as soon as it stopped, with maybe runners coming down the passages. In typically French style, grumpy guard shouting, but nobody left behind ...

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
Do any of the trains still have the hook thing to release the doors?

Beebman

Not the MP 73s. These just had a yellow band on the standard blue and cream livery to signify the first class car.
My mistake - I knew there was a third type with cream 1st class cars but it was the MP59.

SHD

Do any of the trains still have the hook thing to release the doors?

Yes: MF67 (still running on lines 3, 10, and 12), MP59 (Line 11), MP73 (Line 6).

These hooks were modified in the 1990s. They used to have a protruding concave handle at the end which fitted nicely in the closed palm of the hand. Too nicely - it was possible to hold onto the handle; and errant handbag or rucksack straps could get "caught" by the handle, which posed a risk on the platform... The handle buttons were thus modified and are now in the shape of a small truncated cone: impossible to hold onto it anymore.

Not very easy to see, but compare https://www.karodaxo.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/R14092-1.jpg (old style) and https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bxGrpcZQB70/maxresdefault.jpg (new style)

Last edited:

Gag Halfrunt

I can't see the photo of the old-style handle because the server blocks direct links to images. You'll need to post a link to the page instead.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Not sight - but a distinctive small - maybe unwashed Parisians , Gallois or other cheap tobacco , disinfectant to counter "le pipi" .........

Taunton

Established Member
Not sight - but a distinctive smell - maybe unwashed Parisians , Gallois or other cheap tobacco , disinfectant to counter "le pipi" .........
The most distinctive smell of all was the "pneu" lines, where the stations smelled like a car tyre factory, completely overwhelming the Gauloises/garlic/unmentionables tradition. Strangely, this seems to have reduced somewhat nowadays. Line 4, with a very intense service, newly pneu'd, was the worst.

Another was elderly, polite and not obstructive, men beggars, commonly severely disabled, playing a dilapidated accordion, just like the intro to the Maigret TV series. We were told in the mid-1970s that they were still WW2 war crippled, eking out their meagre pensions; some had their medals up. Never moved on by the staff. Recipients of whatever centimes we had. Alas, all gone now.

TRAX

Established Member
Yes there has. The Nord-Sud lines were built with an intricate electrification system: a +600 V overhead catenary and a -600 V third rail. This power supply infrastructure was converted by CMP after the 1931 merger (*). But remnants of the catenary were very much visible until the 1970s-1980s in Line 12 & 13 stations, and it is very well possible that traces remain today such as anchor points in the vault.

On this 1910 picture, the pantograph is clearly visible: https://amtuir.org/04_htu_metro_par...es/84278_cmp_1910_ateliers_vaugirard_ratp.htm
Other pictures on this webpage: http://reseau.nord-sud.pagesperso-orange.fr/materiel_roulant.htm
Notably Saint-Lazare Line 12 in the 1950s with the catenary holding frames clearly visible.

(*) It is quite possible that OHL subsisted at the Vaugirard depot and works until the retirement of Nord-Sud Sprague trains. See this page with pictures of the now disused level crossing on Rue Desnouettes, with the OHL mast clearly visible: http://pietondeparis.canalblog.com/archives/2011/04/06/20828912.html
Yes I forgot about the NS :oops:

AY1975

Established Member
Some of the Sprague sets were painted grey for 2nd and red for 1st, indeed the last time I ever rode on a Sprague was on a grey set on Line 9 in July 1981. Also I recall that the Sprague stock had a strange 'electrical' smell.
Yes I forgot about the NS :oops:
I believe that the grey Sprague sets were originally built for the Nord-Sud.

SHD

Some of you may know the 1958 song "Le poinçonneur des Lilas" (The ticket-puncher of Les Lilas) by Serge Gainsbourg.
Here is a delicious period soundie (Scopitone) with great views of the then shining new MP55, and an English translation of the lyrics (and quite a good one!)

But did you know that Gainsbourg wrote a follow-up? It's called "Le fossoyeur de Pacy-sur-Eure" (The gravedigger of Pacy-sur-Eure)

Here's a translation of the lyrics, as cynical and witty as you'd expect:

I'm a Métro pensioner,
At the countryside I can forget this bloody job
I've got my garden, my cottage,
My beds of flowers,
Cyclamen, begonias,
Chrysanthemums, but no lilac!
And under the fair French sky
I see shining porcelain items
Indeed to fatten the pension,
Which is a bit thin,
I work as the gravedigger
In the cemetery of Pacy-sur-Eure
I dig holes, I dig holes, I dig big holes
Big holes, big holes, always big holes
First-class holes,
Second-class holes,
I dig holes, I dig holes, I dig big holes
And I prefer big holes over tiny little ones
Tiny little holes, tiny little holes (repeat)

Not sight - but a distinctive small - maybe unwashed Parisians , Gallois or other cheap tobacco , disinfectant to counter "le pipi" .........
Absolutely right: the final ingredient in the mix was, of course, ozone from the arcing and the somewhat rough'n'ready DC motors the Spragues etc. used. My mother always regarded the combined aroma as one of the distinctive features of Paris compared with the many other places she had visited (she went there first, I think, in 1953!) Those somewhat older than me always claimed to be able to pick up, for years after 68, traces of CS Gas in the background around the Sorbonne metro station.

Honourable mention also for witty grafitti: I particularly remember the time Mitterand first tried to become President in May 1974 (I think). Someone had improved one of those enormous ads that covered the concave platform walls; it was for a foot bath salt of some kind and, as improved, it read 'For Tired Feet....votez Mitterand!' Of course, he had to wait another 7 years before the rest of country accepted this advice and he got his chance to play 'Grand Projets' with the Metro.

dutchflyer

Established Member
I think the Qatar Metro may have 3 classes.
Has nothing to do with RATP_but as I just by chance was there last week during long stopover and took the chance to explore this fully automatic metro and its 3 separate tramnetworks in the making: NOT 3 classes, but standd has a subdivision for single ladies+small children. GOLD class is like 1st or business-there are even some gold class ´lounges=waiting rooms´ in major stops. Never saw anyone sitting in. Whereas the trains are fully automatic, there is an overabundance of staff in it and also in all stations I passed by. Favorite seats are those in front looking forward where otherwise driver would sit.
Other strange phenomenon: it has no singles, to ride one needs a chipcard (10QAR)+ load at least 20 on it=MIN 30 to pay (€7,50). BUT a daypass can be had for just 6QAR (less as a single on RATP!) and it worked fine-must be bought from staffed counter. Apparently single rides cost 2 QAR flat for now, can cover 40 KMs. 2 of the 3 trams are free. 1 is a tiny 1 way circle that runs in ´centre town´ on hydrogen fuel.

Now that I read this: in french lessons in grammar school (for me in the 1960ies) the teacher-who had lived in Paris for some years, told us that. Later on from rail-forums I learnt it was the brakes: something with a kind of wax applied to the wooden blocks (or that is what I vaguely remember), but I will accept any other realistic sounding explanation.
As we had it on another recent post: after dozens of yrs the old-style Edmonson formatted tickets for RATP-metro are also to go and replaced by yet another type of chipcard-I have already some 10 or so to be paid for extra and some still with money on them from cities I will likely never return to. Or when I return (like in BKK after > 3 yrs) they turned out to become invalid not being used for too long time).

Last edited:

Beebman

The French National Archives has just published a video starting with a TV news report from 1981 about the plan to abolish 1st class and then followed by some further reports from 1991 when it went ahead:

The video is all in French but the 1981 report has some colour footage of Sprague stock and the 1991 ones include some old black and white film of Sprague trains and poinçonners. Video description (electronic translation):
In 1981, the RATP project to eliminate the first class caused controversy. The RATP, however, puts forward arguments for the single class. It will be necessary to wait until August 4, 1991 for the 1st class to officially disappear, in order to simplify the pricing. Users of all ages and conditions give their opinion.

Meerkat

Established Member
Does the Paris Metro still have full height ticket gates? They closed behind me, but in front of my rucksack, trapping me.
We were on a rush hour metro train and a really short, almost dwarf, prostitute opened her trench coat to reveal a red basque and suspenders before proceeding to negotiate a deal with a neighbouring businessman - they both then got off (behave at the back) at the next stop.

AY1975

Established Member
I still have some unused 1st class tickets - bad planning!
There's a slight chance that you might still be able to use them or exchange them at a ticket office, but I wouldn't count on it. I believe that unused single or carnet tickets used to be valid indefinitely, at least in theory, but are now only valid for a year from the date of issue. They are also now phasing out paper tickets in favour of smart ticketing, with carnets no longer being on sale. See the separate thread on the withdrawal of paper Metro tickets: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/end-of-the-line-for-paris’-iconic-metro-ticket.237990/

Taunton

Established Member
Back in Paris last week :) .

The Metro doesn't really seem to change. Much of the stock from our first, university field trip, visit in 1976 is still around nearly 50 years on, and the stations seem unchanged. MF67 trains still on line 12, and apparently elsewhere. Platform Edge Doors had gone in on Line 4, that was the only significant difference. Still manned ticket offices everywhere. Although first class, and the separate reversed livery, is long gone, the former cars are still numbered with their first class A prefixes, but furnished as standard inside. The Paris Visite tickets still are traditional Edmondson-style ones, put through the slot mechanism at the entrance gates.

Anyone who remembers the 'portillons automatique' (also described above) at platform entrances, huge iron gates which, despite their name, had an operator, and used to grindingly close and open in rush hours just as trains came to a stand to stop late runners holding up the departure, can play spotting the marks where they used to be situated.

Tremendous 'pace' has not been lost. I started timing dwell times at stations, and many were under 10 seconds. Some substantial acceleration, braking, and lurching round the many sharp bends at speed. TfL, especially on the Overground, eat your heart out.

Status
Not open for further replies.