• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Trivia) What Ever Happened To The First 6 Rillington Junction Mileposts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
On The North York Moors Railways they have these mileposts that say Rillington Junction. After Pickering it starts from 7 miles meaning the first 6 must have been along the Malton to Pickering line which no longer exists. Wondering what ever happened to the first 6 mileposts. If the're still there or got taken away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

billio

The Ordnance Survey shows the location of railway mileposts on 19th Century 6-inch maps. Using the National Library of Scotland 'Side by side' Georeferenced Maps you can discover the actual location on a current map or aerial photography. You could use that information to go and have a look, though most are probably on private land.
I notice on the 1840's map, the mileages are from York.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Ordnance Survey shows the location of railway mileposts on 19th Century 6-inch maps. Using the National Library of Scotland 'Side by side' Georeferenced Maps you can discover the actual location on a current map or aerial photography. You could use that information to go and have a look, though most are probably on private land.
I notice on the 1840's map, the mileages are from York.
Most unlikely any are still there.

Vague memories of my father "liberating" a "no trespassing" notice from the Micklehurst Loop at Greenfield before it was levelled. He tried digging it out but found it was embedded in a big lump of concrete, so ended up sawing it off. No idea what happened to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.