• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Which principal stations close briefly overnight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFN

as do pretty much all major stations in London
Paddington and St Pancras remain open overnight.

Liverpool Street closes for about 2 hours most days (certainly pre-covid) according to the Network Rail website.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Paddington and St Pancras remain open overnight.

Liverpool Street closes for about 2 hours most days (certainly pre-covid) according to the Network Rail website.

As well as having some overnight trains, isn’t it true that they also can’t close? Paddington certainly has an entrance with no shutters.

greyman42

Established Member
The short stay car park has a gate which is closed at a set time to block off the entrance near to Scarborough bridge
Does anyone know what the reason is for shutting this gate? I cannot see any good reason for doing so as it just gives some passengers a longer walk home or to their cars.

ijmad

Established Member
Do they bother closing London Bridge on weeknights? Theres a gap from 00:52 to 02:30 in the current weekday timetable, but hardly seems worth it!

Established Member
Do they bother closing London Bridge on weeknights? Theres a gap from 00:52 to 02:30 in the current weekday timetable, but hardly seems worth it!
They certainly did in January 2020.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
As well as having some overnight trains, isn’t it true that they also can’t close? Paddington certainly has an entrance with no shutters.

Yes - of course, stations without a lengthy gap between late and early services are hardly able to close, as in Paddington's case I guess. And yes, the ramp down next to the Bakerloo entrance hasn't got any way of being closed off, as I remember. And I also seem to remember there's a right of way across the station, from there to the canal-side exit by the new H&C Line station. I must try that one night...

And St P, which is said above to be open all night - I remember it being accessible at all hours many many years ago, but thought it was closable (and indeed closed at night) after the rebuild. Maybe they lock some doors but not others for a few hours?? I'm sure I've seen some entrances looking as though they were locked shut as I've cycled past in the early hours.

As to KX - when the big refurb, and new concourse, etc, was happening, I think there was pressure from locals to (re-?)establish an east-west right of way across the width of the station (a footbridge) to help reconnect local communities.

superjohn

And St P, which is said above to be open all night - I remember it being accessible at all hours many many years ago, but thought it was closable (and indeed closed at night) after the rebuild. Maybe they lock some doors but not others for a few hours?? I'm sure I've seen some entrances looking as though they were locked shut as I've cycled past in the early hours.
The Starbucks in the circle area near the Southeastern platforms used to be open 24 hours but currently isn’t. As the only overnight trains use the Thameslink platforms I would imagine the shopping arcade area and all of upstairs would be closed off overnight. It would be a very large area to keep secure otherwise.

Mikey C

Established Member
The Starbucks in the circle area near the Southeastern platforms used to be open 24 hours but currently isn’t. As the only overnight trains use the Thameslink platforms I would imagine the shopping arcade area and all of upstairs would be closed off overnight. It would be a very large area to keep secure otherwise.
I can't see any physical way of closing off the shopping areas though, whether the ones near the domestic station or the flashier ones by the Eurostar entrance, unless they just tape it off?

district

Ashford International closes between 0200 and 0430, except on Sunday night (Monday morning) when it closes at 0130 until 0430.

ScotsRail

As mentioned Glasgow Central closes and years ago I was staying in the hotel there when a small fire in the basement led to the hotel being evacuated and all staff/residents being decanted into the concourse of the Station in the middle of night so I've been lucky enough to be in Central whilst its closed.

Waverley closed for a couple of hours each night back in the day, the late 90s, my cheap nights stay in Edinburgh after the pubs closed hit a flaw at that point and I had to go walkabout for a while until they reopened.

lincolnshire

Does anyone know what the reason is for shutting this gate? I cannot see any good reason for doing so as it just gives some passengers a longer walk home or to their cars.
It could be because its classed as private property as against been a public right of way, so by closing it off at night keeps the path as not been a right of way. That too could be the case with the other car park gate except its given up working. It also restricts un- authorised people passing through the station via that path.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It could be because its classed as private property as against been a public right of way, so by closing it off at night keeps the path as not been a right of way. That too could be the case with the other car park gate except its given up working. It also restricts un- authorised people passing through the station via that path.
They'd only need to shut it once a year or put up a sign to avoid that.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It could be because its classed as private property as against been a public right of way, so by closing it off at night keeps the path as not been a right of way.

They'd only need to shut it once a year or put up a sign to avoid that.

Are we talking about Paddington or York or elsewhere? Presumably closure (of a pathway through the station) on say Christmas Day would suffice to prevent it ever becoming a right of way?

D6700

No.

What time? I've never heard of this but am happy to put it to the test.

Yes I can confirm this one closes (or at least did the last I heard) and regularly generates negative PR for LNER in the local press.

Not any more it doesn't! I believe it stopped working shortly after it was installed.

I recall one night arriving into York on a late arrival and saying we'd have to go the long way round and @D6700 pointed out the gate no longer closed, and he was absolutely right!
Whilst I've not needed to use them overnight recently, prior to last March, I made regular overnight use of the bridge at York to/from platform 10/11 and the gate at the Long Stay Car Park. For me, these both enable safer journeys by bike to/from the station, avoiding the need to go via Blossom Street, which is a relatively dangerous route, as well as saving time.

AMD

Manchester Piccadilly does close after the last train at 00:44 and is reopened for the 02:42. This happens as I was working the last train into Piccadilly last night and the station staff were going round asking everyone to leave (along with announcements).

D6975

Established Member
The 00:44 isn't the last arrival at Piccadilly, there's a Euston and a Crewe that arrive at 01:11 and at 01:28, closing it for just over 1 hour seems to be a bit unnecessary.

AMD

The 00:44 isn't the last arrival at Piccadilly, there's a Euston and a Crewe that arrive at 01:11 and at 01:28, closing it for just over 1 hour seems to be a bit unnecessary.
I was only going by the announcement that was playing when I was in the station on Thursday night/ Friday morning, and that I saw station staff moving people out of the station.

D6975

Established Member
Bearing in mind the somewhat 'eccentric' behaviour of staff at PICC I suspect it's just them being a bit zealous for their own benefit.

_toommm_

Established Member
A few years ago I was there at a late hour, I think they only had the main entrance open to keep undesirables out and lots of staff watching you

Last time I was there overnight when I was stranded it was kept open (pre-COVID). The upper concourse was out of bounds, and all the platform doors were permanently open so it meant for a rather chilly night.

greyman42

Established Member
Are we talking about Paddington or York or elsewhere? Presumably closure (of a pathway through the station) on say Christmas Day would suffice to prevent it ever becoming a right of way?
Were talking specifically about York.

Trainfan2019

Does Sheffield close overnight after the last London train arrives until the middle of the night airport train departs?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Does Sheffield close overnight after the last London train arrives until the middle of the night airport train departs?
Yes, plenty security staff out ensuring that only intending passengers enter.

Additionally only the main entrance is opened for the 0325 service, not the Supertram one.

Status
Not open for further replies.