• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Widest gap between train and platform (not including platform height)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
Trying to think as to which station platform has the largest gap between the train and the platform edge. Part of me thinks this would be the stations with the tightest curve, to which Perth platform 1 would come out on top for gangwayed stock such as an Mk3. But seeing as Azuma's are 26m per coach, that gap would be even larger.

Bank on the Central Line I imagine would top it, but what about on the national rail network?

For clarity, I'm not including vertical distances (as Dunkeld would win in a heartbeat), but horizontal distances.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
Trying to think as to which station platform has the largest gap between the train and the platform edge. Part of me thinks this would be the stations with the tightest curve, to which Perth platform 1 would come out on top for gangwayed stock such as an Mk3. But seeing as Azuma's are 26m per coach, that gap would be even larger.

Bank on the Central Line I imagine would top it, but what about on the national rail network?

For clarity, I'm not excluding vertical distances (as Dunkeld would win in a heartbeat), but horizontal distances.
Vertical stations - Salford Central and Flimby

Paul Jones 88

Tunbridge Wells on the curve, down platform, once I had to grab hold of a child before she slipped down the gap.

noodlepoodle

Bishop's Stortford down platform must be a contender, large vertical and horizonal separation. A few years ago someone suffered life changing injuries falling in the gap.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Always used to be quite a big "mind the gap" between train and platform at Platform 17 at Clapham Junction.

AM9

Veteran Member

For clarity, I'm not excluding vertical distances (as Dunkeld would win in a heartbeat), but horizontal distances.
I don't think that the 26m cars do have much larger clearances compared to MKIIIs. The end doors and the bogies are located some way in from the ends and are probably not much different to the MKIIIs in distance apart. Also the ends are tapered so that the outswing is reduced.

Last edited:

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Norbiton's up platform used to have a wide gap, as it's on a curve and the track is heavily canted. It was a big step up to the doors on the 455s that run on the services through there. I have a feeling, however, that things have improved (I'll have a look next time I'm there).

Sean Emmett

Montpelier, my local station, has big vertical and horizontal gaps, quite a struggle for peeps with mobility issues, pushchairs etc.

And platform 3 at Temple Meads can catch out the unwary.

zwk500

Veteran Member

_toommm_

Established Member
Earlestown Platforms 4 and 5 on a 150. You could comfortably fit a person in that gap with no issue.

alangla

And platform 3 at Temple Meads can catch out the unwary.
I was going to post that. Last time I was there, the guard on the 150 did the usual “please mind the gap between the train & the platform edge” announcement. Yawning chasm would have been a better description. The Voyager that I got on next from there was nowhere near as bad though more of a step up obviously.

Pokelet

Worcester Foregate Street has large vertical gap and when you get to the far end in the Droitwich direction the horizontal gap turns it into a gaping chasm. Boarding a 170 at that end is scary business.

RailWonderer

Established Member

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The bolded words seem to contradict your title? Is that why so many replies are about vertical gaps?

[.n]

Dorchester South must be in the running surely.

Definitely, I've on many occasions had to stop someone from dropping into the gap on the curve.

I also recall there's a pretty huge gap at Clapham Junction on maybe platform 21 that's the whole length of the platform?

kpreen

I’ve just registered here to post about the enormous chasm between the train and platform 1 (eastbound) at Ashburys station in Manchester.

Even with a perfectly straight platform, the horizontal gap is a good 18”. It seemed like the train was leaning away from the platform, it was one of the brand new ones that Northern Rail are running.

I had to get someone to help me on to the train it was that far (and I am in no condition to jump!), and it was actually a bit scary!

AY1975

Established Member
Norbiton's up platform used to have a wide gap, as it's on a curve and the track is heavily canted. It was a big step up to the doors on the 455s that run on the services through there. I have a feeling, however, that things have improved (I'll have a look next time I'm there).
So did Putney until about the mid to late 1980s when the central island platform was raised. As I recall the two outer platforms (which were only used by a small number of peak hour trains in those days) weren't raised until sometime later. It used to be a big step up to the 455s (and the 508s, EPBs, SUBs and the like before that).

Status
Not open for further replies.