• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Your favourite bus station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
St Ives Malakoff has to have the best views from any bus station. I also like Camborne due to it being on the same site as FSWs office and depot. I always enjoy having a nose from the top deck at what vehicles are parked up along the side.
Penzance bus station is less 'chocolate boxy' and obvious than St Ives but, all things considered, has some pretty good aspects if you take a 360 degree view, and include the area just beyond where the buses turn into the bus station: at present, in addition to St Michael's Mount, St Mary's church and the harbour area there is the sight of the Scillonian ferry 'parked up' for the winter in the Inner Harbour mere yards away too. The railway station, though even nearer, is hardly visible from the bus station because of modern service buildings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainBoy98

Munich ZOB I quite like, and the updated Hard Interchange in Portsmouth is nice - much better than the poor excuse it used to be.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it because we have come to expect a certain standard which is much higher than we experienced in the past?

I think so, yes. The same is true of the railway - people on here might like to hark back to the days of trains being more interesting in say the 80s - and that they were - but the railway generally was filthy and unkempt. Same with bus stations. Obviously we've lost a few since then, but if you compare say Stockport (a GMPTE construction of that era) with Shudehill (much newer) they aren't even similar. Yes, there's Preston, but one of that quality from back then is really quite an exception.

And then you've got the likes of old Digbeth - OK a coach station but also an abject dump. It doesn't even compare to the new Birmingham Coach Station which gives a good railway station a run for its money (let alone the old New St) - and that's with coaches being a budget mode of transport compared to trains.

Surreyman

Portsmouth - The Hard/Dockyard or whatever its called these days, more like an airport terminal than a bus station!

Andyh82

Established Member
Places like Doncaster, Derby, Leeds, Wakefield are fairly ok due to being of a fairly modern design and facilities. I'm struggling to think they are notably good, but they're better than many.
Surely, we must have at least one that is truly wonderful ?
A lot of the good ones have flaws

Hull for example despite being loved by those who like integrated transport, has a design of windows meaning you can’t actually see the destination display of any bus that is at any stand

Wakefield has bays that are uphill, so the front of the bus is stuck up in the air. The design is also slightly different than Metro bus stations, kind of a mirror image, so a bus at the stand you are waiting at actually pulls in to a bay that is in front of the stand to the left. It can sometimes be hard to work out which bus is in which stand

Eldon Square in Newcastle is nice inside but the bus accommodation is very tight and has hardly any layover bays, so at peak times buses have to circle around

Out of all the big Metro ones in West Yorks, despite predating the modern era, Huddersfield is probably the best. Loads of space, all on one level and more layover bays than you can shake a stick at. It’s not too far from the railway station either.

Mikey C

Established Member
In London we are spoilt by the quality of our regional bus stations, and the location of them too.

Edgware bus station for example. A nice covered building perfectly located with the tube station on one side and the shopping arcade on the other

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Good shout. Edgware is certainly well sited, like Hammersmith, Golders Green and Stratford.

Without trying to be biased, I've always found most West Yorkshire bus stations to be far superior to any I've visited elsewhere in the country. They're safe with automatic doors only unlocking when a bus is on the stand. Security who are usually pretty on the ball if anyone (kids usually) are on the carriageway.

I love the orchestral music that is played, you can be sat in there for an hour and it seems like only 10 minutes.

The real time displays at each stand are clear and having large ones in the middle are handy for seeing overall departures.

It is easy to top up your Mcard either visiting a travel centre or using the new top up machines.

Leeds Bus Station even has reversing cameras for drivers leaving their stand.

Holmfirth has to be my favourite in terms of character and appearance.

I've always had a love for Preston Bus Station, especially before it was refurbished. It felt like stepping back in time.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Without trying to be biased, I've always found most West Yorkshire bus stations to be far superior to any I've visited elsewhere in the country. They're safe with automatic doors only unlocking when a bus is on the stand. Security who are usually pretty on the ball if anyone (kids usually) are on the carriageway.

I love the orchestral music that is played, you can be sat in there for an hour and it seems like only 10 minutes.
I do agree that Metro do get a lot but they do get a few wrong. Cleckheaton was a £2m investment on an existing site...except that site was always distant from the town centre. Lovely building but in the wrong place. They'd be better off closing it (as had been mooted before) and building some flats on there; perhaps having a more modest place by taking some of the large car park in the town centre; in fact, I think that a smaller bus hub may be being considered?

I assume that the classical music is the old trick to dissuade the local teens from congregating rather than the aural enjoyment of actual passengers.

Holmfirth has to be my favourite in terms of character and appearance.
Really? I mean, it's a pleasant enough location and the bus shelters are a bit better than average. Just a bit surprised but individual preference rules :E

Last edited:

Contains Nuts

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Altrincham Interchange. Buses on one side, trams and trains on the other. Covered building with a travel shop and toilets. Always been clean and presentable whenever I’ve been there.

The Station at Manchester Airport is similar on a much larger scale - better than any of the London airports.

henairs

Hmmm..... a pet subject of mine.

Middlesbrough is a classic design and still works as well as it ever has and is still in relatively good condition. It's something that should be listed before the local councillors demolish it in favour of a smaller, less functional facility in a daft location to "improve connectivity" etc.

Preston is just a fine example of Brutalist architecture and for that reason alone (and despite other failings), I think it's great.

Other faves....

Leeds Central - good location, good design, and a quantum leap over what it replaced (for those old enough to remember)
Newark - surprisingly good for a small town
Hanley - good facility.....just needs to be effectively connected to the rest of the city centre (but appreciate development had stalled)
Swansea - just very good

However, special mention and a left-field one is Yeovil. Not because it's good because it isn't. It has grim public toilets, the travel office is closed and seems to be a place for drivers to take breaks. It just gets me how it's in a timewarp.... aside from a bit of signage and some new shelters/barriers, it is unchanged since I first went there in 1991. The Gorge Cafe is unchanged since the 1980s.... you almost expect to hear Ford Transits running the town services.

Some local authorities and PTEs are very good with their investment and maintenance though, as I've mentioned before, some go a little too far... TfGM with the monoliths like Wigan (especially) and Bolton, and Metro with the bonkers ones at places like Cleckheaton and Ossett.
Hmmm..... a pet subject of mine.

Middlesbrough is a classic design and still works as well as it ever has and is still in relatively good condition. It's something that should be listed before the local councillors demolish it in favour of a smaller, less functional facility in a daft location to "improve connectivity" etc.

Preston is just a fine example of Brutalist architecture and for that reason alone (and despite other failings), I think it's great.

Other faves....

Leeds Central - good location, good design, and a quantum leap over what it replaced (for those old enough to remember)
Newark - surprisingly good for a small town
Hanley - good facility.....just needs to be effectively connected to the rest of the city centre (but appreciate development had stalled)
Swansea - just very good

However, special mention and a left-field one is Yeovil. Not because it's good because it isn't. It has grim public toilets, the travel office is closed and seems to be a place for drivers to take breaks. It just gets me how it's in a timewarp.... aside from a bit of signage and some new shelters/barriers, it is unchanged since I first went there in 1991. The Gorge Cafe is unchanged since the 1980s.... you almost expect to hear Ford Transits running the town services.

Some local authorities and PTEs are very good with their investment and maintenance though, as I've mentioned before, some go a little too far... TfGM with the monoliths like Wigan (especially) and Bolton, and Metro with the bonkers ones at places like Cleckheaton and Ossett.
Regards Yeovil bus station it is a unique place. We have moved into the modern day with a selection of
drunks and drug users from various nations, think there is about two BOS signs in the whole station whilst some stand signs are broken and numerous out of date route signs are about the site.
Visitors will think both the 57 and 377 still run from here as both stands still show this.
Waiting room is small but adequate for a short wait. Toilets are cleaned regularly though but the gents badly needs updating but at least better than the ones at Wells which are disgusting hell holes in the extreme. Luckily there is a nearby Tesco store across the road.
Actually our bus station fits in well with the rest of the town (dump)
Cheers,
Mike

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I used to quite like Bedford because of it's 1970s/80s charm including the wood panelled chippy/cafe. The new one is better, but it was a shame to lose the "timewarp". Preston was also like that pre-refurb but I assume things like the signage were updated?

I do agree that Metro do get a lot but they do get a few wrong. Cleckheaton was a £2m investment on an existing site...except that site was always distant from the town centre. Lovely building but in the wrong place. They'd be better off closing it (as had been mooted before) and building some flats on there; perhaps having a more modest place by taking some of the large car park in the town centre; in fact, I think that a smaller bus hub may be being considered?

I assume that the classical music is the old trick to dissuade the local teens from congregating rather than the aural enjoyment of actual passengers.

Really? I mean, it's a pleasant enough location and the bus shelters are a bit better than average. Just a bit surprised but individual preference rules :E
They do know how to over-spec some bus stations I will say that, look at Brighouse and Ossett for example, and Cleckheaton as you mentioned.

I don't mind hearing people talk (apart from chavs and full time yummy mummies), but the music seems to have a calming affect on everyone, and I've spent that much time in bus stations (as an enthusiast and as a normal fella) that I know almost every song off by heart. Us bus folk can be sad sometimes, I'm the first to admit it haha.

Not sure why I love Holmfirth bus station so much, it's pretty basic but it's my favourite area of Yorkshire. I suppose the fact that it isn't modern like the other ones I have mentioned (ironic I know) and just fits in well with the surrounding buildings. Plus quite a few of my favourite routes go from there so I've spent many an hour in those shelters, especially when I first got into the weird and wonderful enthusiast world.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not sure why I love Holmfirth bus station so much, it's pretty basic but it's my favourite area of Yorkshire. I suppose the fact that it isn't modern like the other ones I have mentioned (ironic I know) and just fits in well with the surrounding buildings. Plus quite a few of my favourite routes go from there so I've spent many an hour in those shelters, especially when I first got into the weird and wonderful enthusiast world.
As I said, it is in a nice location, so I can understand that. I guess that it also has those personal connections for you too.

johnnychips

Established Member
I’m a big fan of Sheffield, Meadowhall and Doncaster interchanges
Doncaster and Meadowhall are literally next to or below shopping centres, so there are shops and food available. I like them. There is nothing wrong with Sheffield per se but not too many services call there, and the independent cafe, alas, with its excellent potted beef sandwiches, seems to have closed for good.

AM9

Veteran Member
Portsmouth - The Hard/Dockyard or whatever its called these days, more like an airport terminal than a bus station!
Remembering the mess that the old one was I'd say that the rebuilt station is not so much like an airport but more like a modern bus station.

quarella

I know most will disagree but I did like the combined bus station and depot. It was what I was used to at Bristol and Weston-super-Mare. Seeing new vehicles before they entered service. Withdrawn buses parked for weeks then suddenly gone. The various smells - Diesel, cigarettes, sometimes paint.
Out of the two I preferred Weston, a large art deco building on the sea front not conveniently located for the the town centre and town services only started serving it in 1985 with the move to minibuses. There was a large enquiry office in the centre. Before my time there had been a cafeteria upstairs but it retained a takeaway. Buses entered through doors on the right and set down just inside the door. There were railings with gaps forming a pen as a waiting area with a few benches backing onto the enquiry office with gaps for boarding, 2 along the side and 3 across the top with buses exiting through doors on the opposing side. Beyond that was the parking area and workshop.
People in the town still complain about its demolition in 1987 (now retirement apartments) but there is no way it would be deemed acceptable today on Health and Safety grounds. The toilets were in a side wall which required crossing between buses on the exit side. The town service minibuses would pull onto the exit side forecourt for their bus stop. Overnight minibus parking was inside the passenger waiting pen. Passenger access was usually through the bus entry and exit doors.

cnjb8

Established Member
Munich ZOB I quite like, and the updated Hard Interchange in Portsmouth is nice - much better than the poor excuse it used to be.
The Hard Interchange is very nice. Definitely one of my favourites now you mention it

Redmike

Considering it dates from the 1970s, Huddersfield is not bad. Plenty of space, information easily available, hot food plus a newsagents and even a mini library. Always lots of buses coming and going too.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Considering it dates from the 1970s, Huddersfield is not bad. Plenty of space, information easily available, hot food plus a newsagents and even a mini library. Always lots of buses coming and going too.
Agreed - just a shame about the security enforcer jobsworths.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed - just a shame about the security enforcer jobsworths.

What don't they let you do that you should be able to do? (It doesn't seem a good place to photograph buses as this would have mostly to be through glass, if the photos of the place I just Googled are representative of the whole thing).

317 forever

Established Member
Castleford is quite good as we are nowhere far from any bus stop. Nearby Pontefract is a bit cramped though.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What don't they let you do that you should be able to do? (It doesn't seem a good place to photograph buses as this would have mostly to be through glass, if the photos of the place I just Googled are representative of the whole thing).
If you want to photograph the buses without going through glass (maybe wait until summer) you could try going upstairs to the multi-storey car park above. That is, if that's a suitable angle for one's requirements.

Architecturally, I was always a fan of the rather unique overall roof at the old Bradford Interchange...certainly more striking than Preston, which is just a very similar design to Huddersfield but they built it three times bigger than it needs to be. I appreciate that if the original Interchange had survived it would probably be due for replacement by now even with the best will in the world though.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
There have been instances of photographers being accused of taking photos on both the entrance and exit roads. In both of my own experiences I was on a public road.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just seen a pic of the inside of Stoke:

10024_N1477_a3.jpg

Stoke bus station interior

I mean...wow! That looks like a modern international airport - a bit like Zuerich for example - not a bus station!

Looks a bit like Newport station from the outside but with that interior I can put up with it. Also reminiscent of the new London Bridge station - something you'd expect to see where the money is, not Stoke! :)

Cambus731

Burnley bus station is an example of how it should be done, with a pleasant heated interior with plenty of facilities.
Makes me wonder why Chelmsford or Colchester couldn't have done something similar.
Nelson transport interchange was also built along similar lines.
I'll give a mention to Arbroath as I found it is good for photographing buses, as they leave the stands and when they enter the bus station.

Llandudno

Established Member
Doncaster and Meadowhall are literally next to or below shopping centres, so there are shops and food available. I like them. There is nothing wrong with Sheffield per se but not too many services call there, and the independent cafe, alas, with its excellent potted beef sandwiches, seems to have closed for good.
Sheffield Interchange/Bus Station is fantastic, it must be the cleanest large bus station in the country

Reason: Very few buses and hardly any passengers use it!

Most of the retail units are empty and SYPTE no longer have a Travel Centre on site, as they no longer produce timetables of bus services to display.

Status
Not open for further replies.