• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trouble at t'Whitby last night? (20/02/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just to clarify my earlier cynical comment about how it's conveniently always people from elsewhere causing issues. I neglected to make an allowance for the fact that seaside resorts do indeed have a lot of visitors, and those visitors are in their leisure time so aren't necessarily going to be on their best behaviour or taking particular care to not over-indulge on alcohol.

johntea

Established Member
That was my first thought tbh. Would have expected it on a Saturday night when it can quite 'interesting' at times! I hope the guard is ok.

The answer to your thoughts is two key words ... 'Half term'!

Meerkat

Established Member
Just to clarify my earlier cynical comment about how it's conveniently always people from elsewhere causing issues. I neglected to make an allowance for the fact that seaside resorts do indeed have a lot of visitors, and those visitors are in their leisure time so aren't necessarily going to be on their best behaviour or taking particular care to not over-indulge on alcohol.
They might be outsiders but its usually the seaside town that fills them up with booze.

fkofilee

Similar issue in Horsham, the local scum coming down from Crawley and causing trouble.
HEY! Crawley isnt that bad man! Any place has its local inhabitants that cause issues, but thats not fair! :)

StoneRoad

Similar to the situation on the Carlisle to Whitehaven route ...

Evenings, especially Saturdays, can be nerve-racking due to the alcohol-fuelled behaviour of a small minority of passengers.
As a result on *some* trains one is not permitted to carry alcohol - security searching bags to enforce the rules.

Which was annoying to me on one occasion as I was bringing some decent scotch over to Whitehaven as a present to another boat-owner, for their assistance a couple of weeks previously. [The local quality offies didn't have what I had promised to supply !]

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Similar to the situation on the Carlisle to Whitehaven route ...

Evenings, especially Saturdays, can be nerve-racking due to the alcohol-fuelled behaviour of a small minority of passengers.
As a result on *some* trains one is not permitted to carry alcohol - security searching bags to enforce the rules.
Would I be right in saying that there's currently four Saturday evening departures from Carlisle to Whitehaven (or beyond) which are designated as "dry trains". Namely, the 1909, the 2000, the 2106 and the 2149 services.

StoneRoad

Would I be right in saying that there's currently four Saturday evening departures from Carlisle to Whitehaven (or beyond) which are designated as "dry trains". Namely, the 1909, the 2000, the 2106 and the 2149 services.
Actually, you may be right as to the times.
I haven't used the train since Covid ...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know the early morning train is withdrawn from the May timetable change, is this late one going as well? If so it won't be a problem any more.
No it's still there. Unlike the early morning train I think the late evening one actually gets used. Though I'm surprised more of a fuss hasn't been kicked up about the early morning being withdrawn seeing as it had been campaigned for for so long!

bearhugger

I’m not sure either. I identify as a geordie but technically I’m a sand dancer. Monkey hangers from Hartlepool im familiar with and the gentlefolk from Sunderland have a clear identity, but I’m not quite sure about Middlesbrough
Ah a South Shields person (sorry, don't know if you are male / female / non-binary). My mam & dad used to have a caravan at Sandhaven before the park was done up. Middlesbrough folk are definitely smoggies.

Veteran Member
No it's still there. Unlike the early morning train I think the late evening one actually gets used. Though I'm surprised more of a fuss hasn't been kicked up about the early morning being withdrawn seeing as it had been campaigned for for so long!
Alan Williams, this month's MR, right on cue.

Facing Back

Ah a South Shields person (sorry, don't know if you are male / female / non-binary). My mam & dad used to have a caravan at Sandhaven before the park was done up. Middlesbrough folk are definitely smoggies.
Aha. I'm male, at least in England, I'm not sure about Scotland at the moment. Born in Shields and brought up in Jarrow. I did a lot of growing up in the vicinity of Sandhaven. Thanks for the update on smoggies - I can't believe that I haven't heard that

Neptune

Established Member
I know the early morning train is withdrawn from the May timetable change, is this late one going as well? If so it won't be a problem any more.
Nobody uses it. The return train (2D82) is still in the timetable starting from Nunthorpe as that’s where it was actually used from in any numbers. I’m sure a few people use it from further back once a blue moon (and will no doubt claim it runs full most days to save ‘their’ service) but costs need reducing and this loss making empty service seems like a good place to start stripping what isn’t really required in the current climate.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Nobody uses it. The return train (2D82) is still in the timetable starting from Nunthorpe as that’s where it was actually used from in any numbers. I’m sure a few people use it from further back once a blue moon (and will no doubt claim it runs full most days to save ‘their’ service) but costs need reducing and this loss making empty service seems like a good place to start stripping what isn’t really required in the current climate.

That's not the argument at all.

It's more that the line needs a proper service throughout the day (two hourly would help) and services that connect from and two the South

These would be great boons for the line, yet no one is prepared to do anything about it.

Neptune

Established Member
That's not the argument at all.

It's more that the line needs a proper service throughout the day (two hourly would help) and services that connect from and two the South

These would be great boons for the line, yet no one is prepared to do anything about it.
I don‘t doubt it needs a decent seasonal service (less needed in the winter than summer) but 2D81 throughout & 2D82 (WTB - NUN) have proved that they aren’t required due to almost zero patronage hence their withdrawal (after consultation with the stakeholders).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don‘t doubt it needs a decent seasonal service (less needed in the winter than summer) but 2D81 throughout & 2D82 (WTB - NUN) have proved that they aren’t required due to almost zero patronage hence their withdrawal (after consultation with the stakeholders).

Fair play, let's get the two hourly service in place instead.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Well (as the presumptions of an armchair, long-distance watcher) 2D81 is essentially an ECS working and 2D82 is in a kind of tempus 'no-man's land', arriving in M'boro approx 30 minutes too early for most commuters. If it went on to Darlo or, better still, York or Leeds, the awfully early start from Whitby might make some sense. The line really needs the loop restoring at Castleton Moor, which would allow for an 08.30 arrival in Boro. And a line speed increase to 55 or 60 mph. Never going to happen, of course.

Revaulx

Amazing how often, when a place gets a reputation for anti-social behaviour, it's apparently always "comers-in" that are responsible rather than locals...
You’ve obviously never been to Middlesbrough?

Whitby is a delightful place when it isn’t rammed with visitors.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Amazing how often, when a place gets a reputation for anti-social behaviour, it's apparently always "comers-in" that are responsible rather than locals

I think if the violence is affecting the last train, chances are it isn’t locals causing the problems.

Certainly not always the case though. Skipton can be a lairy night out and that very much is the locals.

SteveM70

Established Member
Can't believe we've got this far and nobody has pulled up the OP over the errant use of t' in the thread title. This place is going to the dogs :lol:

Veteran Member
Can't believe we've got this far and nobody has pulled up the OP over the errant use of t' in the thread title. This place is going to the dogs :lol:
Perhaps they were referring to an hostelry named "The Whitby" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.