• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

True or False

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

An HST has been further North than Dingwall?

I THINK the answer is true, but purely in the geographical sense. I have a feeling that when HSTs first appeared in the late 1970's, BR seriously considered extending Kings Cross - Aberdeen services to Inverness, and trialed an HST set on that line. It would have passed through Elgin, which is a few miles north of Dingwall, in terms of longitude (or is it latitude? I can't remember!)
I'm moderately sure that an HST has NEVER ventured on the line THROUGH Dingwall, though there may have been trials. Would someone else know for sure, as my memory could be playing tricks!

Spot on 43106 - An HST has been north of Dingwall, because Elgin is further North. There also used to be a daily Elgin to Penzance service run by an HST, it was more to serve the commuter needs of the line to Aberdeen than to serve an Elgin to Penzance Market!

I think your right in that an HST has never been on the line past Inverness going toward the Far North or Kyle Line. I think the furthest it has been on this line is on the Ness Viaduct, where it turns back to go through the fuelling line at the TMD.

But if anyone can prove us both wrong then I would love to hear it, as it would be so cool to see an HST going through my home town, and to see how it negotiates the tight corners of the Kyle Line, or the great photo opertunities it would give if it went on the far north line.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sigh...

King's Sutton - Paddington via Oxford, or Marylebone via Chiltern
Northampton/Long Buckby - Euston
Corby/Kettering/Wellingborough - St Pancras

Looks false to me.

Eagle

Established Member
Yeah, it's false. It's only five (all the above plus Peterborough–King's Cross; remember I said traditional county).

Although when I posted it I thought it was true... I was sure that there was one service Peterborough–Moorgate but then I actually went and checked and there isn't, no Moorgate service ever gets further than Letchworth.

Still, for a county with only seven stations it's impressive! :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yeah, it's false. It's only five (all the above plus Peterborough–King's Cross; remember I said traditional county).

Although when I posted it I thought it was true... I was sure that there was one service Peterborough–Moorgate but then I actually went and checked and there isn't, no Moorgate service ever gets further than Letchworth.

Still, for a county with only seven stations it's impressive! :lol:

Wasn't Peterborough in Huntingdonshire before 1974?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I would also like to say I'm pretty certain that Peterborough has never been in Northamptonshire!! But I can't be confident, and a little hunting suggest it is close...

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
OK, some digging suggests it was part of Northants until 1965.

dzug2

The Soke of Peterborough (pre 1965) was considered part of Northamptonshire.

What about Liverpool Street - I thought there were through services from Peterborough? Or am I totally confused?? And if so what with?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Cambridge has services to Liverpool Street (and some go to Kings Lynn at certain times of day), but nothing goes as far as Peterborough. Everything out of Liverpool Street on that route is electric, and Ely to Peterborough isn't wired :(.

Easy to get confused, that part of the world is on lots of boundaries.

dzug2

Cambridge has services to Liverpool Street (and some go to Kings Lynn at certain times of day), but nothing goes as far as Peterborough. Everything out of Liverpool Street on that route is electric, and Ely to Peterborough isn't wired :(.

Easy to get confused, that part of the world is on lots of boundaries.

I was thinking via Ipswich - perhaps there used to be something that way. Nothing currently that I can see.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oh yes sorry. Turbostar working, every two hours (interworked with Lowestofts). Withdrawn recently on the basis of some kind of capacity issue or similar. Sounded sensible.

So yes, until recently, six would have worked here! On very tenuous grounds...

12CSVT

Established Member
True or False : the first train to travel the full length of the channel tunnel was a light engine move by class 20s 20066 + 20138

clagmonster

Established Member
There were 20s working on construction trains, so it is plausible. I would be surprised it it were light engine, but hey, let's say true.

Status
Not open for further replies.