• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TSSA accept TOC pay offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPI

Established Member
Just had an email.

Email sent to TSSA members said:
The TSSA RDG pay referendum closed today (Friday, 24 February 2023) at 12:00, and the results are as follows:

Turnout: 57%
Management Grades:

Accept 80% Reject 20%
General Grades:
Accept 60% Reject 40%

The results show that the offers for both management and general grades are both accepted.

TSSA Reps nationwide were consulted in an online ballot and voted overwhelmingly to put the offers out to members. The members ballot was then conducted as an online referendum, with all members receiving a secure ballot via email.

The results of this vote now mean that TSSA members have voted to accept the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) offers, which cover management and control staff, stations, and other grades within the rail industry. TSSA will honour the referendum result and formally accept the RDG offer. The RDG is being notified of this result, as are the 14 train operating companies.

Industrial action withdrawn

Given this result, TSSA will notify employers that the ballot for Industrial Action has also been withdrawn. Accepting the offer ends the dispute on which the ballot was based. Any live industrial action will also be cancelled.

Implementation

The next steps will involve TSSA engaging with employers to discuss and outline implementation expectations. We will also consult TSSA elected representatives about the support they need to oversee and engage in this process.

We will also seek assurances from the government and all rail industry employers that the commitments made in the offers will be honoured and implemented in full and in good faith.

Thank you

Your TSSA Executive and full-time staff would like to put on record their thanks to our members, as well as the general public, for their support during a long, complex and unprecedented time for our nation's rail industry. Your action resulted in significantly improved offers on pay, job security and terms and conditions - an improvement from no offer whatsoever for thousands of you. We fully acknowledge there will be challenges ahead with changes within the rail industry, and we will be there to fight for the best services, jobs and conditions across our railways.

Whilst this offer will mean different things to different members, the overall campaign to fight for our members' jobs, pay, and conditions will remain paramount in our day-to-day work.

In solidarity,

TSSA TOC Team

Attachments

• 20230224_140652.jpg
    20230224_140652.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 480
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KM1991

What happens now? With RMT still in dispute, a large chunk of TSSA members will not see the pay rise implemented yet anyway.

RPI

Established Member
What happens now? With RMT still in dispute, a large chunk of TSSA members will not see the pay rise implemented yet anyway.
I don't know, particularly in my grade as we have collective bargaining rights with both TSSA and RMT!

Sleepy

Established Member
Sky News reported it as train drivers strike settled (now changed) Don't think many TSSA member are drivers ...... :rolleyes:

KM1991

I don't know, particularly in my grade as we have collective bargaining rights with both TSSA and RMT!
I get the feeling nothing can be implemented until all parties in the collective bargaining layout agree to a deal, could be wrong though!

Chester1

Established Member
Presumably this means TSSA staff benefit from not losing pay due to striking but will still benefit if RMT manage to agree a better offer with DfT? Makes sense to accept the offer let RMT continue striking.

DNCharingX

In practice does this mean that nothing changes until the RMT also accept an offer?

It would be very... absurd... if this weren't the case.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
So the RMT continues to fight against booking office closures and yet TSSA (who traditionally represented booking clerks) rolls over and accept the deal!

bazzarati

40% all grades still rejected it on a 57% turnout. It suggests little enthusiasm for the deal... No surprise there

For RMT, the NR and TOCs dispute is starting to diverge. Why government didn't try to do this earlier was a strategic mistake. They could have split the strike by offering one side a much better offer than they have. I really don't know who's driving the government side of it, but the lack of nous is incredible when you consider how much money the dispute has cost government.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
40% all grades still rejected it on a 57% turnout

No, 40% of general grades rejected it, 20% of management rejected it, with57% turnout collectively. Without knowing the proportion of staff in each of general grades and management, it’s impossible to say what the rejection rate was for all who voted. But it is certainly between 20-40%.

but what it does show is that a clear majority of those who could be bothered to vote did want to accept it.

bazzarati

No, 40% of general grades rejected it, 20% of management rejected it, with57% turnout collectively. Without knowing the proportion of staff in each of general grades and management, it’s impossible to say what the rejection rate was for all who voted. But it is certainly between 20-40%.

but what it does show is that a clear majority of those who could be bothered to vote did want to accept it.
No. I read the letter attached which says 40% general grades rejected it...

Facing Back

40% all grades still rejected it on a 57% turnout. It suggests little enthusiasm for the deal... No surprise there

For RMT, the NR and TOCs dispute is starting to diverge. Why government didn't try to do this earlier was a strategic mistake. They could have split the strike by offering one side a much better offer than they have. I really don't know who's driving the government side of it, but the lack of nous is incredible when you consider how much money the dispute has cost government.
Conversely the same numbers also suggests little enthusiasm to continue to strike.

jimjim

So the RMT continues to fight against booking office closures and yet TSSA (who traditionally represented booking clerks) rolls over and accept the deal!
I think in the original offer they wanted the unions to agree to the closure of all ticket offices with no campaign to keep any open. Now they have to do a schedule 17 consultation to change the times which means the Unions and user groups can try and campaign to keep some open. The end result will still be the closure of all offices but it is the next stage of the campaign. The TOCS told the unions this was going to happen whether they accepted the deal or not.

Broucek

It suggests little enthusiasm for the deal... No surprise there
I can't comment on the non-pay parts of the deal but the reality is that no one in any industry is enthusiastic about their pay settlement this year. Most private sector budgets are 5-7% or so and I've not seen ANY in double-digits (I'm a pay consultant).

Therefore everyone is having a real-terms cut. It's not ideal but high inflation is a consequence of Putin/COVID-related supply chain issues and employers can't afford to keep up with it (and if they did, high inflation might become baked-in).

bazzarati

Conversely the same numbers also suggests little enthusiasm to continue to strike.
Suppose we will find that out in the months and weeks ahead.

I think it was 92% supported it for RMT which was an increase on the first ballot for industrial action. Seeing increased annoyance with the company in my workplace. I'm confident the roadshow continues

I can't comment on the non-pay parts of the deal but the reality is that no one in any industry is enthusiastic about their pay settlement this year. Most private sector budgets are 5-7% or so and I've not seen ANY in double-digits (I'm a pay consultant).

Therefore everyone is having a real-terms cut. It's not ideal but high inflation is a consequence of Putin/COVID-related supply chain issues and employers can't afford to keep up with it (and if they did, high inflation might become baked-in).
Not everyone. This government gave the barristers 15%. BT got 16%. There are a few more like that too

yorksrob

Veteran Member

This is this Government we're talking about. Nous isn't exactly one of its strong points.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Not everyone. This government gave the barristers 15%. BT got 16%. There are a few more like that too
Barristers was a catch up after many years of no increase.

Some employers have given increases after many years of next to nothing, possibly back to the financial crisis in 2008.

Ultimately, pay is about supply, demand and the economics of the business involved, not just year on year inflation.

Established Member

You keep saying you’re a “pay consultant” but then making absolute statements like “no one in any industry is enthusiastic about their settlement this year”. That is clearly not a safe statement to make.

The issue with the railway deals is Ts and Cs, not the amount, which has also been pointed out again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.