• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Stock exterior coverings

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

I am interested in the plastic sheeting/sheathing that is used on carriage exteriors. Are these used on all rolling stock? Is it costly? Does it prevent graffiti? Is it easy to apply? I am just wondering why something like these covers can't be used on NYMTA units. They are quite boring on the exterior. I think it would be cool to fashion sheets into older designs and colors to portray heritage like carruages. Or even just plain color the trains. I can envision the cars with blue doors and just blue or green or brown (old colors of the lines). I just enjoy the differences of all the lines I see from around the world. London carriages have that unique curved shape and they llok so sharp in the three color livery. The larger surface units look cool too. I can imagine them running along Brooklyn somewhere. They'd be a welcome diversion to the eyes. After riding the cars from 1917 to 1925, their green finish made all the difference when outside in the sun. Those same units were also finished in a dark-medium red with yellow-gold livery. Gorgeous.

Attachments

• img_8124.jpg
    img_8124.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4675535529_1e139f0794_b.jpg
    4675535529_1e139f0794_b.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 19
  • img_2372.jpg
    img_2372.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 19
  • EE.jpg
    EE.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 23
  • SUBWAY02.jpg
    SUBWAY02.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 22
  • img_81168.jpg
    img_81168.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 20
  • AA_prospect_park.jpg
    AA_prospect_park.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 20
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
I am interested in the plastic sheeting/sheathing that is used on carriage exteriors. Are these used on all rolling stock? Is it costly? Does it prevent graffiti? Is it easy to apply? I am just wondering why something like these covers can't be used on NYMTA units. They are quite boring on the exterior. I think it would be cool to fashion sheets into older designs and colors to portray heritage like carruages. Or even just plain color the trains. I can envision the cars with blue doors and just blue or green or brown (old colors of the lines). I just enjoy the differences of all the lines I see from around the world. London carriages have that unique curved shape and they llok so sharp in the three color livery. The larger surface units look cool too. I can imagine them running along Brooklyn somewhere. They'd be a welcome diversion to the eyes. After riding the cars from 1917 to 1925, their green finish made all the difference when outside in the sun. Those same units were also finished in a dark-medium red with yellow-gold livery. Gorgeous.
Vinyl wrapping has only had a limited use on LU.
Advertising liveries, such as United Airlines, Yellow Pages, Back The (Olympic) Bid, all used vinyl over the painted base colour.

D Stock unit 7008, the trial D Stock refurb, had the Corporate livery applied totally in vinyl but this wasn't carried onto the other units and 7008 was painted upon it's own 'proper' refurb.

A start has been made to repair graffiti damaged C Stock and '73 Stock with white vinyl patches covering the damaged paint surface after removing the offending graffiti.

DLR make use of vinyl wrapping i believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.