• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Twenty MPH Zones — Effects on Travel Timings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I'm wondering how much the introduction of 20mph zones across boroughs has affected bus travel timings. This thread expands the discussion on the 20mph zones in Wales here.

The 65 bus, Ealing to Kingston, runs from Kew Bridge to Kingston entirely along 20mph roads in the boroughs of Richmond and Kingston. I don't have a recent 30mph timetable to hand, but one from 1972 gives a rush-hour time of 30 minutes from Kingston to Kew Bridge; the latest timetable gives 48 minutes.

The 65 might be atypical, as quite a bit of this distance was along 30mph roads along which buses usually travelled more or less at this speed (Kew Road, sections of Petersham Road), and other routes could well be along roads which do not allow this speed for any significant distance. Also, heavier traffic might have resulted in a little longer time than 30 minutes prior to the 20mph limit. I've used it as an example as it's a route I've regularly used over the decades and I've noticed the longer journey time since the 20mph limit has been introduced.

Have other bus users noticed any significant lengthening of journey times with the introduction of a 20mph limit?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.