• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two together railcard: oyster capping or paper travelcards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
Off to London to see the sights with the missus this weekend. Given how rubbish my knowledge of Oyster fares system and the like is I wondered if someone with more knowledge can confirm the following:

Two together railcards cannot be loaded onto Oyster cards, therefore meaning we could not take advantage of the reduced Oyster cap a loaded railcard would offer.

Two together railcards can, however, be used to purchase a zones 1-6 paper travel card with the usual one third off from a railway station.

We're staying in zone 6 and so will be making at least two return journeys into zone 1, plus several journeys in zones 1 and 1-2. Thus the cheapest option for us is to buy paper travel cards, rather than rely on Oyster cards and capping.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Paper travelcards with the railcard discount work out at £8.10 each for unlimited travel in Zones 1-6.

If using contacless the Zone 1-2 cap is £6.60 and I think it'd be £1.50 for an Underground journey from Zone 6 to Zone 2. The paper travelcard will be a cheaper option.

Status
Not open for further replies.