• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Together railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Before I mis-advise someone, can anyone confirm that if you pay £30 for a Two Together railcard both parties save 1/3rd off their respective fares when travelling together?

So two people without such a card pay £30 each, total £60, but with the railcard they only pay £40 in total?

Seems a lot more generous than paying £30 for one individual railcard, but I appreciate it is of no use if you ever want to travel without the co-holder.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Before I mis-advise someone, can anyone confirm that if you pay £30 for a Two Together railcard both parties save 1/3rd off their respective fares when travelling together?

So two people without such a card pay £30 each, total £60, but with the railcard they only pay £40 in total?

Seems a lot more generous than paying £30 for one individual railcard, but I appreciate it is of no use if you ever want to travel without the co-holder.
Correct

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Yes, that's correct. You only need to be considering a journey costing £45 per person for it to pay for itself.

Llandudno

Established Member
Thanks. Came back to apologise as I could have found that out by doing a dummy booking :oops: .

That's a useful guideline. Cheers.
Not valid in the morning peak though on Mondays to Fridays.

Also worth remembering that you get a third of PlusBus tickets as well!

jrh2254

Also worth bearing in mind that if the two people are seniors then with the purchase of two senior railcards it appears to be valid on peak trains (well the one's I checked anyway), whereas the two together is not.
If the two individuals purchase a young persons railcard its only valid offpeak as far as I am aware.

RHolmes

If the two individuals purchase a young persons railcard its only valid offpeak as far as I am aware.
Incorrect

1/3 off all rail fares before 10am BUT minimum £12 fare applies (Mon-Fri)
1/3 all rail fares after 10am (Mon-Fri)
1/3 all rail fares anytime July/August and weekends

jrh2254

Incorrect

1/3 off all rail fares before 10am BUT minimum £12 fare applies (Mon-Fri)
1/3 all rail fares after 10am (Mon-Fri)
1/3 all rail fares anytime July/August and weekends
I always had it in my mind that it was 9.30am
Also is my assumption on the senior railcard correct?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Senior Railcard discounted tickets are valid for travel at any time, for journeys partially or wholly outside the Network Area.

For journeys wholly within the Network Area, Senior Railcard discounted tickets are not valid until Off-Peak Day tickets become valid.

RHolmes

16-25, 26-30 and HM Forces are all 10am (minimum fare prior to this M-F of £12)

Your senior railcard assumption is correct as these are valid anytime with no restrictions on time or minimum fare

Haywain

Veteran Member
Your senior railcard assumption is correct as these are valid anytime with no restrictions on time or minimum fare
As has already been pointed out, there are restrictions on the use of Senior Railcards in southern England, which affects a very significant percentage of potential users of that railcard

JBuchananGB

This is getting off topic now, but having lived all my life in the south east until 3 years ago I was astounded to discover that my Senior Railcard provided discounted travel at peak times everywhere else. I had managed to travel on peak hour trains into London with discount when I was making a longer journey beyond the Network Area.

scrapy

Established Member
There seems to be some discrepancies on different websites.

National Rail and the official Two Together Railcard website states travel is not permitted between 04.30 and 09.29 with no mention of a minimum fare. I am assuming this as the official source is correct.

The train line states that a two together Railcard is valid at peak time subject to a minimum £12 fare and is selling railcards under those terms and conditions.

The Avanti website says you get a third off train fares and allows you to start the purchase process with no mention of any restrictions.

No wonder passengers get confused.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is no minimum fare when using a Two Together Railcard but it isn’t valid until 09:30 on weekdays.

A 16-25 Railcard has a £12 minimum discounted fare on weekdays before 10:00 (does not apply in July or August). There is no minimum fare with Advance tickets. The same restrictions apply to the 26-30 Railcard except there is no July or August minimum fare easement.

Discounted travel applies at all times for Senior Railcard holders except for journeys wholly within the Network Railcard area where discount is only available once the Off Peak Day Return fare becomes valid.

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
There is no minimum fare when using a Two Together Railcard but it isn’t valid until 09:30 on weekdays.

A 16-25 Railcard has a £12 minimum discounted fare on weekdays before 10:00 (does not apply in July or August). There is no minimum fare with Advance tickets. The same restrictions apply to the 26-30 Railcard except there is no July or August minimum fare easement.

Discounted travel applies at all times for Senior Railcard holders except for journeys wholly within the Network Railcard area where discount is only available once the Off Peak Day Return fare becomes valid.
I think you have missed a "not" out (added in the quote above).

AM9

Veteran Member
A question for anybody here regarding Two Together travel:
If the two holders of a Two Together card are travelling together but one of them has an ENCTS pass, is it valid to buy just one PlusBus add-on for the passenger who doesn't have a pass?

Haywain

Veteran Member
A question for anybody here regarding Two Together travel:
If the two holders of a Two Together card are travelling together but one of them has an ENCTS pass, is it valid to buy just one PlusBus add-on for the passenger who doesn't have a pass?
You should be able to buy an undiscounted PlusBus ticket but there is no entitlement to a discount for one person.

jrh2254

The train line states that a two together Railcard is valid at peak time subject to a minimum £12 fare and is selling railcards under those terms and conditions.

The Avanti website says you get a third off train fares and allows you to start the purchase process with no mention of any restrictions.

No wonder passengers get confused.
I tried to book peak time fares with a two together railcard on the Avanti website and I can confirm that NO discount was given.
I do seem to recall a discount may have been given with the old Virgin trains website but there is no discount with Avanti.
Agree no wonder passengers get confused !
What is the rationale for all the differences between railcards and different regions / companies ?

Par

I tried to book peak time fares with a two together railcard on the Avanti website and I can confirm that NO discount was given.
I do seem to recall a discount may have been given with the old Virgin trains website but there is no discount with Avanti.
Agree no wonder passengers get confused !
What is the rationale for all the differences between railcards and different regions / companies ?
Isn’t the time restriction on the Two Together Railcard to dissuade two work colleagues from using one on their daily commute?

Status
Not open for further replies.