• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
A trip to Newcastle is planned for late June.

My plan is to film full journeys of both the Green and Yellow Lines, and I would like to do it at the front (as the Metrocars only have half width cabs - allowing passengers to have a front view on the other half on the front).

My question is, will all the current Metrocars still be in service by late June or will they have all been replaced by the new Stadlers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

My plan is to film full journeys of both the Green and Yellow Lines, and I would like to do it at the front (as the Metrocars only have half width cabs - allowing passengers to have a front view on the other half on the front).

My question is, will all the current Metrocars still be in service by late June or will they have all been replaced by the new Stadlers?
There’s not likely to be any replacements in service by June.

Even before the more recent delays they had only really suggested July 2023, but I think near the end of the year is now more likely - and that’s probably being optimistic.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
There’s not likely to be any replacements in service by June.

Even before the more recent delays they had only really suggested July 2023, but I think near the end of the year is now more likely - and that’s probably being optimistic.

That's good news to hear then, thanks! So excited to film full journeys on the T&W Metro!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just bear in mind that the front seat isn't for public use anymore and there's a gate blocking it off.

Originally started as a covid thing, then it was made permanent. You can still see out, but naturally a bit more awkward for filming.

Filming also technically not allowed, but you'd be unlucky to have a problem. Staff generally don't care other than a couple of shall we say, "overenthusiastic" ones.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Originally started as a covid thing, then it was made permanent. You can still see out, but naturally a bit more awkward for filming.

Hmm I wonder why. I could try filming from the nearest front seat still available for public use and hope for the best that the video comes out well

eli 801/2

Hi there,

It is great to here you will be coming to visit and I would like to let you know that the new stock are no longer coming this summer and will be here in autum. It should be known that the front seets have been blocked off since COVID but you can still see out the front it may just be harder than it used to be.

I hope this helps.

Willie Bee

Filming also technically not allowed, but you'd be unlucky to have a problem. Staff generally don't care other than a couple of shall we say, "overenthusiastic" ones.
Your comment .. "overenthusiastic ones” made me laugh

A few years ago, I made a few films on the Metro system, just like the OP wants to do and during one of my earlier ones, I had a problem with a new driver. The drivers actually change at South Gosforth and about 30 seconds after he got in his wee cab he opened the door and said I couldn't film ..

Why ? I asked, I've seen plenty of folk taking photographs on the trains.

Anyway I got out at the next station and while waiting for my return train, I heard over the tannoy 'FILMING IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE METRO SYSTEM' The driver had obviously radioed somebody.

I returned to the previous station, walked about 30 metres from the platform to the Metro HQ and asked for a permit to film. Within 5 minutes I was kindly given a type-written one by a very understanding and helpful customer services member.

I got on the next train and finished my filming. I should have waited for that same driver on his return trip from the Airport, but never thought about that at the time.

For all future filming, I always got a permit first, but was never ever asked again by a driver ... obviously, it was just one of those ‘jobsworth / overenthusiastic’ members of staff we all meet once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.